? re seasickness pills

Whatever pills you choose, just be sure you take your pills early the morning of your cruise. I learned the hard way, taking Bonine just a few minutes before a scuba dive trip. I felt it wasn't working, so I took an extra dose for good measure. The pills did nothing for me, and I got terribly sick... seven shades of green.

After four hours of hell, the dive trip was over and THEN the pills finally kicked in. I couldn't stay awake for the rest of the day.

As for me, my remedy of choice is now the Transderm Scop (scopolamine) patch. You'll see a lot of fellow cruisers using them behind the ear, and you'll only need 2 patches for a 7 day cruise.

I haven't yet ventured back to do another scuba dive, but I feel confident the patch will help.

I bought my Sea Bands at CVS they are over the counter, you may need to ask your pharmmacist where they are located. I take mine off for excursions then put them back on when I get back on the ship. Mine have never hurt me and as far as wearing them on formal nights-no big deal to me, I take them off for pictures. I don't want anything interferring with my "beverages"!!:D

As an avid victim of sea-sickness, i'll add my $.02...

I normally get seasick when we hit the open waters (on small and large boats). I've found Bonine does work good!

I also found the sea bands to work equally good! I was never sure until my second sailing race with them - it was late at night, and the boat was bobbing... The wind came up, and I was running around getting sails set etc etc (everyone else was asleep). Suddenly I knew it was coming (sickness) - I woke a bud up to take the helm, and I started the cold sweats - I looked down, and while running around the boat, one of the bands came loose... From that day further, I always keep extra sets with me... I ended up makiing a make-shift sea band out of duct tape, and a metal nut (which btw worked fine until I took it off and noticed some of the tape had taken a fancy to my arm hair)...

You can get em at Amazon for around $7. I find they don't last long (the elastic goes bad fast - especially if it gets wet) - maybe 5 days...

There's another one I found today - search on "SCAT acupressure" - they look better, and are adjustable...

I've not been on a cruise ship yet but when we go out deep sea fishing I get a prescription from my doctor for a patch you put behind your ear about 24 hrs prior to going and it's good for three days. There are five in a box. (sorry dont remember the name but your doc will know what your talking about)

Since Ginger is more of a vitamin than a drug, does it make sense to preventatively take both the Bonine and a ginger pill the first day? Do either of these upset sensitive stomachs? Can pre-teens/teens take either one?

Ginger is a spice not a vitamin. But the point of taking the ginger is to calm your stomach and not have the drowsiness of the drugs. Here is a site with more info.

http://www.healthcastle.com/ginger.shtml

Whatever pills you choose, just be sure you take your pills early the morning of your cruise. I learned the hard way, taking Bonine just a few minutes before a scuba dive trip. I felt it wasn't working, so I took an extra dose for good measure. The pills did nothing for me, and I got terribly sick... seven shades of green.

After four hours of hell, the dive trip was over and THEN the pills finally kicked in. I couldn't stay awake for the rest of the day.

As for me, my remedy of choice is now the Transderm Scop (scopolamine) patch. You'll see a lot of fellow cruisers using them behind the ear, and you'll only need 2 patches for a 7 day cruise.

I haven't yet ventured back to do another scuba dive, but I feel confident the patch will help.

overdosing on drugs is bad..... um k? (South Park)

can you get seasickness pills free from the pursers desk? or do I need to bring my own? Of course I don't plan to suffer! hoping the Atlantic will be smooth as glass for my sailing!

My family was on Explorer in Aug/Sept 05 and we came back up the east coast into a hurricane. The ship was rockin! One night they shut all the doors on one side because they were concerned about people going overboard. I had taken a lot of Dramamine with me - my daughter was really effected and ate it all the time, my son only that one bad night, and me once because I hadn't eaten. Some friends had to go to the infirmary for other reasons and said they had it in a bin outside the door - there for the taking.

Think about it - they'd rather give it out free than have people puking all over (which we did see) and having to clean up that bio-hazard.

this was an episode on mythbusters, the only thing that worked was ginger pills..............

okay, i have a FEW things to say here.......to the quote above, this statement is erraneous, i also watched the episode. the ginger worked, but so did the pharmaceuticals. drugs do work. :-)

to JM-1972, it depends on what you're taking. you need to talk to your doctor or pharmacist and know how the med affects you. most all meds will say, "don't drink with this medicine," on the instruction. i use the non drowsy dramamine OR use the patch - it depends on how bad the seas are. i can drink some with either. i drink less with patch because of the dry mouth and it makes me more drowsy, so i only use it if i really have to. but, i can still have one or two drinks with it because i'm still fine. but, that's me, and i've used this medicine for the last 4 years on previous flights and cruises and know how it works with me.

also, to the original poster, they do sell seasickness meds on the ship. they won't sell ginger, though. they only sell the most popular stuff, dramamine or bonnine. here's the reason you should bring your own even if you think you may not need it, it will cost you 3 times what you would pay at cvs or wal mart on the ship. it's super expensive. buy it before you board. if you don't use it, no biggie, you've lost 3 bucks instead of 10.

I would stick with ginger tablets, there are chewable and made by gravol. Last cruise I used the patch and lost my focus vision. I could not see anything up close for about 15 inches. When I went to the doctor on board she said to never use them, they are very dangerous. It took me about 2 weeks to get my vision back.

Thanks for your replies, as we go in October I am concerned about high seas. I have never been seasick and my parents are not seasick but my husband has never been on a cruise. He loves to have a beer and a glass or two of wine with dinner and I was worried it might make him ill if he mixes any meds. I will only get him to take meds if it is really rough or if he feels ill.

• 5 weeks later...

Just learned that the drug in the patch also comes in tablet form. It is called Scopace. It is supposed to have fewer side effects, primarily because it allows user to adjust the dose to their own needs. It also starts working faster and if there is a problem, gets out of your system faster. It lasts 8 hours. Since the patch puts me right to sleep, I am going to try the Scopace tablets. Actually, I am going to start out with ginger, but want to also have drugs available - just in case.

I myself use the 24 hour drammimine. I take one an hour or two before departure and don't have any problems. Also one thing that helped me as well is trying to sleep with your body paralell to the rocking of the ship, I found that reduced my ill feelings that I would sometimes have in the morning.

I myself use the 24 hour drammimine. I take one an hour or two before departure and don't have any problems. Also one thing that helped me as well is trying to sleep with your body paralell to the rocking of the ship, I found that reduced my ill feelings that I would sometimes have in the morning.

interesting idea, but not sure I understand what you mean by parallel. Do you mean that you rock from side to side rather than from head to foot? And what if your bed is not facing the way you want?

I have never cruised before could anyone tell me how likely I am to get seasick?

We will be cruising the Med from Southampton and have been told it would usually be quite calm and we will be on the Independence so the stablizers would help too.

I dont really want to be taking tablets, just incase neither do i want to feel ill and take a few days to get over it.

I have never cruised before could anyone tell me how likely I am to get seasick?

We will be cruising the Med from Southampton and have been told it would usually be quite calm and we will be on the Independence so the stablizers would help too.

I dont really want to be taking tablets, just incase neither do i want to feel ill and take a few days to get over it.

I don't think there is a way for anyone to determine how likely you are to get sick. It depends on your body chemistry, your location on the ship (Aft can sometimes be bad in high seas) and the wind and weather. I've been queasy a few times, downright unable to leave the cabin a couple of days when we had 20' and 30 ' seas but totally unaffected the majority of the time on our 20 cruises. People recommend taking ginger pills or eating ginger candy. I have taken bonine. Once when it was really bad, one of my friends had a patch and that took care of it. But it is very important to follow the directions on the patch!

can you get seasickness pills free from the pursers desk? or do I need to bring my own? Of course I don't plan to suffer! hoping the Atlantic will be smooth as glass for my sailing!

Feb 07, we were on the Voyager leaving Nassau. The ship was delayed because of the swells which were rougher than I had ever experienced. I was on the massage table and "asked" the masseuse to leave, as I could feel that I was going to lose it! :o Let's just say, I had a shorter massage than planned. When I went back to the cabin, DH went to the Pursers desk, and asked for seasick meds. He was back quickly, I took some and fell asleep, for a few hours and awakened before he came back from the first formal night ( without me!, but yes, he wore his tux, and looked great) By that time, I was feeling fine, although I had no interest in eating. I got dressed up and went out for the evening with him. I have mentioned before that that was the only meal I have ever missed on a cruise!

interesting idea, but not sure I understand what you mean by parallel. Do you mean that you rock from side to side rather than from head to foot? And what if your bed is not facing the way you want?

Yeah try to rock from side to side if it's possible.

There's really no way to tell beforehand if you'll get seasick if you've never cruised before. However, if you suffer from queasiness from cars or planes, you'd better assume you'll also get seasick! My mother (in her 70's) and sister had no problems on their first cruise, but I was sick as a dog for about 24 hours. And I'm a Navy veteran (though I never served at sea, it was still embarrassing that the sailor got seasick!)

I take Bonine, which works fine. Dramamine makes me sleepy. The Seabands work too, though they tend to become uncomfortable after a few days. When it's smooth sailing, I take the bands off, put them back when I start to notice the motion. Haven't had a problem since. I did purchase some ginger capsules recently in anticipation of our October cruise, just to compare them with the other methods I've already tried.

Archived