Need some help please! I don't know too much about this stuff!

Hello there,

I need some help! :( I am overweight...5'2" and 175 pounds, size 14 and I would like to make the "lifestyle change" for good and would like to reach my goal weight of 140 pounds by my August 31st cruise. I don't know too much about fitness and nutrition and I was hoping someone here could give me some suggestions on what I should be doing to lose the weight? How many calories I should be eating for the day and at each meal? How much exercise I should be doing each week? I am a fast food junkie... I know that is bad so I have eliminated those restaurants. I also do not like salad/vegetables... and believe me I have tried to eat them but I just can't get past the taste & texture. I can only eat potatoes, carrots, corn and peas. I work a desk job during the day so I have time to work out in the evenings and on weekends. I have a small gym with lots of equipment close to my house which I have joined but it is very low key and they don't have anyone there to help you. Any suggestions/help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance!

Well, I guess first off, congratulations on realizing that you want to make a change in your life. Losing weight is tough, and no one can force you to do it, it has to be something you want to do for yourself. So at least you've take the first step.

I myself am not a nutrition expert or a personal trainer, but I can tell you a few things that might help. First, as you've said, you really, really need to lay off the fast food and junk food. Second, I'm sure if you do a google search, you will find lots of sites that have the type of information you're looking for. I might also recommend that you go out and buy Women's Health. I used to subscribe and found that it had a lot of good tips on how to eat healthy, as well as different work-out plans each month that you can use in the gym. I had a really hard time staying motivated to go to the gym, so I quit that and have used my money to pay for a martial arts program instead. I am way more motivated to go since there are actual goals that I'm striving to achieve there and because I have friends there who I enjoy seeing and working out with.

If you read my other post, I recently made the decision to start a more healthy lifestyle in order to lose weight for an upcoming cruise, but I'm hoping to keep it off, as well. As a way to keep myself accountable, I'm going to try to post my trials, triumphs, etc. on the thread I started. Feel free to join me!:D

Welcome to your new life. :) Recognize it as such, and that will be half the battle.

When you state "I also do not like salad/vegetables... and believe me I have tried to eat them but I just can't get past the taste & texture"....well, you're gonna change that. Okay? Just take it from me, been there, done that. I NEVER EVER ate salads...could NOT stand them. So I know where you are coming from. If you just take this one day at a time, you will find yourself amazed at the changes you can, and will make. So don't start out by placing restrictions on yourself. That is why so many people never succeed at this. Got it? The food that I eat these days barely resembles my meals of 7 years ago. Permanent changes MUST occur for you to meet your goal, so work on focusing on how badly you want to do this. There is no question as to whether or not is it possible, just whether or not you want it enough.

There are many here that are willing to help, but it would help them if you provide a bit more info. Give a few examples of what you consume in a day, and what type of exercise, if any, you are already doing.

Hello and welcome! Congrats on wanting to change you life. :D

Have you ever tried V8 juice? I'm not a big veggie eater either, but do drink V8 with lunch. I eat veggies at dinner also...at least two. I've come to like broccoli and I eat it a lot. I put spray butter on it. I also like fresh green beans. I saute them in olive oil and mushrooms....so good!

Also, go to http://www.sparkepeople.com and register (free). They will give you meal suggestions and also tell you how many calories you need to burn a day to lose your goal weight. It is so easy. I tell all newbies to try it.

You might also want to join a group thread on here for extra support. There are many to choose from and everyone on here is so nice and helpful.

I wish you lots of luck and post anytime you need help. We'll be here! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I also struggle to lose weight constantly. I just recently started a 1300 calorie diet. Cut out sodas and fast food like kudos said. That is a huge part of weight gain. Also, you might want to check out this website called sparkpeople.com, it will figure your calories for a day and even give you daily and weekely menu's. It has alot of helpful information. I think you can even customize your menu to not include the things you dont' like. However you are probably going to need to add some vegis to your diet.

I wish you the best of luck.

Archived