Talk me back into it!!

So I'm getting pretty upset with Carnival. They're making getting married on the ship unexciting and complicated. I haven't talked to my wedding coordinator. She hasn't tried to contact me. I paid in full and now it seems like if I ask a question I get a one word response from some annoyed young girl in the call center. I just found out that I can cancel my wedding and only lose $100. I'm seriously considering just cancelling and using that money for a party at home and get married here and then go on our honeymoon!

I've gotten to the point where I just don't care and I'd rather save the money and have a great party here than to have my wedding on the ship. I was so excited about it and now I'm just "blah" about it. Am I just going through a normal bride thing or should I just get my money back?

A little background... I'm 20. My sister is moving to Orlando FL ( so she and my daddy, who I'm flying down, would be the only ones AT my wedding) so she can't throw me a bachorlorette party or a shower. I don't have any lady friends my age to help me be excited. I don't have money to "plan a wedding" so getting married up here will be one of our best friends marrying us (he was ordained online) on a public beach or something like that! (not bad, but not a traditional wedding with a reception) the closest thing to a reception would be an open house in our home with food we cooked and music from our itunes. no dancing because we don't have the space and not pretty because it's our home. My fiance has a big family who would almost all be able to come if the wedding was up here and I have a very small family (my daddy and sister) and only my daddy could come. If it were in FL none of My fiance's family could come and my family would be there.

PLEASE HELP ME MAKE THIS DECISION!!!

Sorry to hear that you are having a hard time. I suggest you have whatever kind of wedding you really want. I don't mean that you have to be a bridezilla, but for your wedding day you really should have things the way you want them to be, whatever that is for you right now. I understand your frustration with the WCs (I am going to be a good girl and not say any more about that). I see that your wedding is just a few weeks away...would it help to postpone it a while, until you can figure things out and possibly save some more money? I am sure the last thing you want to do is postpone it (I understand, my engagement is 2 years long!) but if it would give you more time to figure things out, that may be your best option. I think you will be much happier in the long run if you have the kind of wedding you really want, and not the kind of wedding that resulted from being fed up and frustrated. Good luck to you!

Thank you for your quick reply! A cruise Ship wedding really is perfect for me. Small, uncomplicated and out of my hands. I am not necessarily a planner. I guess the biggest problem I'm having is personal. I want my coordinator to be calling me and introducing herself and all that. I understand she's busy, but I really just want her to call me and say hi, I'm Jobyna, I'm your coordiantor if you have any questions, ask me. She took her time sending my package of information ( took three weeks to get to me) and it doesn't seem to have all the information it should. (no canellation paperwork, even though on the first page it says it should be in there)

I'm not postponing the wedding come hell or high water. We're planning on getting pregnant this winter and I really want to be married this spring. The only thing we need to pay for at this point would be the marriage license. I'm just upset that it's $170 to get it through them, where if we lived in FL we'd only pay 93.50. It seems like their ripping me off.

I guess I'm just mostly emotional about it. I've paid for the whole wedding and half of the cruise. Now my fiance is griping about paying for the license.

Plus I won't have a bachelorette party or a wedding shower. I'm not having bridesmades or anything of that so nobody is "designated" to do those things and my sister will be gone. Since I'm missing out on those fun things it makes the time leading up to the wedding just stressful and not exciting and fun.

My fiance just called me and apologized for getting uptight about the license and said we should go ahead with the wedding as planned.

:sigh: I guess just the bride blues are getting to me...

Well I don't know from first hand experience since my wedding is still one year away, but I talk to alot of other brides on another board and it seems as though they all begin to feel this way as they get down to the final months. I think they feel almost as if they just wanna get it over with so they can move on with their lives. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just think they are sick of planning and just want to do it already! If a ship wedding is what you've always wanted then that is what you should do. It is a plus that you have it paid for already, so I wouldn't let the marriage license fee stress you. I know you are frustrated with your WC, but you may have no choice but to lower your expectations of getting that phone call from her. I think you certainly deserve to get a phone call and introduction, but unfortunately that company doesn't go by our rules ;) You are just a few weeks away, so try to enjoy it while you can. Good luck with your wedding and future baby plans!

Just a thought ...have you considered getting married in one of the ports instead during your cruise ??...we had a cruiseship wedding planned at one stage, but changed our minds, and got married at one of the ports of call instead (Grand Cayman in our case - but you could obviously tie in with one of the ports that you will be visiting).

.....not only was it alot cheaper, it was ALOT more personal, and very beautiful. It was so easy to arrange - the wedding planner belonged to the restaurant where we wed, and we could personalise the any of the various packages they offered, just as much, or as little as we wanted.

We had a wedding party of 4 (my partner and and my 2 kids), a cerenomy on the pier at a waterfront restaurant, followed by a wonderful sitdown meal and photographs on the beach afterwards.....it could not have been a more perfect day.

It may be an option worth looking at if you are no longer getting fired up by the prospects of a cruise ship wedding. :confused:

Thank you for your quick reply! A cruise Ship wedding really is perfect for me. Small, uncomplicated and out of my hands. I am not necessarily a planner. I guess the biggest problem I'm having is personal. I want my coordinator to be calling me and introducing herself and all that. I understand she's busy, but I really just want her to call me and say hi, I'm Jobyna, I'm your coordiantor if you have any questions, ask me. She took her time sending my package of information ( took three weeks to get to me) and it doesn't seem to have all the information it should. (no canellation paperwork, even though on the first page it says it should be in there)

I'm not postponing the wedding come hell or high water. We're planning on getting pregnant this winter and I really want to be married this spring. The only thing we need to pay for at this point would be the marriage license. I'm just upset that it's $170 to get it through them, where if we lived in FL we'd only pay 93.50. It seems like their ripping me off.

I guess I'm just mostly emotional about it. I've paid for the whole wedding and half of the cruise. Now my fiance is griping about paying for the license.

Plus I won't have a bachelorette party or a wedding shower. I'm not having bridesmades or anything of that so nobody is "designated" to do those things and my sister will be gone. Since I'm missing out on those fun things it makes the time leading up to the wedding just stressful and not exciting and fun.

My fiance just called me and apologized for getting uptight about the license and said we should go ahead with the wedding as planned.

:sigh: I guess just the bride blues are getting to me...

It really sounds to me like you have a lot on your plate and are just stressed.... I mean, my gosh, talk about cart before the horse - you guys aren't even married and have already planned your first pregnancy!

Since a cruise ship wedding is perfect for you then, by all means, continue with the original plan. Perhaps you and FI can use this experience to learn how to better communicate (instead of having to apologize for getting uptight about things that can be considered "normal course")

If the "proper" process for a wedding is something that you desire (bridal registry, bachelorette party, shower, wedding, reception, honeymoon, etc) Maybe you would be better served putting everything off until you are in the situation to have everything you want.

Shoot girl, you are freaking 20! You have PLENTY of time to be married, have kids, etc. You don't need to tie the knot and have a baby by the time you are 22. If you guys are committed to spending the rest of your lives together then wait to have the dream wedding you really want.

A union is a union regardless of a license and the pomp and circumstance surrounding the affair, right? It's all about the intention behind the relationship and the real commitment of the two people. A marriage is not about the wedding, the bridesmaid party, a shower, etc. It's about the two people whom have decided to make a life long commitment to each other and to the babies they bring into the world.

That said - if you are intent on going thru with the shipboard wedding, try to chill. RR/TWE can be a downer, that is totally true. It's just par for the course for some brides. It's not worth creating conflict over, either in your own head, or between you and FI.

Again thanks for the replies.

Jdy-I wouldn't want a port wedding, too much MORE stress of wondering if we'd make it to the port and all that. plus I wouldn't have anyone there with me at all. nobody is sailing with us so we have to get married in port to get Any people there! Plus since i'm ont doing a reception onboard and all that I doubt a shore wedding could get cheaper than 1036.25 after taxes and stuff and only the license is left to pay at 168.50. If you think it's be cheaper than that I'd consider it (it's have to be less than 800 before the license I know the licenses can get expensive in other countries. and if we cancel we'll only get about 936 back)

Sas80. I appreciate your sentiment although I hate your tone. I've dealt with that most of my life. I've grown up faster than most people and not really by my own choice. I moved in with my fiance when I was 17. We want to start having kids before he's 30 and he turns 28 this august, so while we aren't in a "hurry" we do know what we want in life.

plus I don't see how time is going to move my sister home or convince my FI's family to throw me a wedding shower. and I suppose I'll make new friends in the next year or so, but i don't really think that they will be people close enough to me to throw me a bachelorette party or wedding shower!! Those are supposed to be hosted by those closest to you who know you best!! Like I said, those people in my life are either in a different state or are men who happen to be planning a party for my FI.

You accused my Fiance and I of not having good communication skills and then turn around and say he shouldn't have apologized for being snappy with me about paying for the wedding license. I'd hate to think he was wrong to apologize for that. If good communication means not apologizing when you've caused someone more stress than i don't want any part of it. He didnt HAVE to apologize. I didn't have hard feelings for him being stressed about the extra costs. I certainly know where he stands money wise, so I feel for him that it scares him. (really I know it's about 4 trips to the bar with our buddies that we'll have to give up)

Plus if we didn't believe in marriage we wouldn't be on this board. Marriage IS important. It's important to society and to my personal beliefs. I don't disagree with people who choose not to get married and to "honor their union" in other ways, but that's not our way and to suggest it seems a little backwards on this board.

All in all, you post made me feel as though I have to defend myself. While I'm sure that wasn't your intention, that is what came out. You might be just a bit too sassy for me today. I said I was stressed out about this and instead of being helpful and telling me positive things, you rip on me for being young and insinuate that I shouldn't get married...

I think I'll call my coordinator myself and just say hi and introduce myelf. It will be easier and then maybe she'll get the feel that I want a little more personal contact. Not even a personal ceremony. It could be shaken out of a box in front of me and I wouldn't care as long as someone called and said hello.. HAHA I know, weird priorities!!

You go, girl! Sounds like you know what you want and are just being hit by last-minute anxiety. I just wish you had some close friends to share this with. Heck, if you want to come to Dallas, I'll throw you a bachelorette party with my friends -- we would have a great time!

Enjoy your cruise and your wedding. Call your WC and introduce yourself. Have a list ready of the things you want to discuss with her. Don't expect it all to be perfect, but know what the most important things to you are.

Good luck!!!:)

You read more into my post than was there. You read the wrong tone and even mis interpreted what I meant by some of the things things that I said. Truly. I know how I felt when I wrote it and it must have read way different than I intended it to read. I wont defend it in detail because what the writer intends and what the reader interprets are always subject to personality, life experiences, mood, outlook, etc. But I am not trying to back pedal, I am being sincere here.

No worries tho. It sounds like you already have a lot going on.

Sorry to add to your stress, that wasn't my intention. Take a deep breath, hold it for a moment, and shake it off.

Happy sailing!

Thanks for understanding ready to cruise. hahah I KNOW I won't be in dallas any time soon, but we can party in our minds.

Sas80- Thanks for the sentiment. I know things typed don't always turn out the way we intend them. I was trying to give the benfit of the doubt, but with all this stress I have I probably was just reading it in that light. If I come back tomorrow or so and read it, it might seem completely different!!

Here's to me stopping being a spaz and cooling off. (there's no wine in the house so I'm toasting to myself with caffeine free diet coke :P)

i haven't talked to mine either. i know my ta does through email and doesn't seem to have any wait time or problems. i don't really mind much what happens either. i'm not that into details so as long as we show up and there is someone there to marry us, i'm good :) worse case scenario his mom is available to officiate so i don't really have any expectations.

i think it's all good... you know that the marriage is more important than the details so i wouldn't worry. definitely give them a call though if it helps ease your mind, or send her an email. good luck and relax. as much as it's stressful, it's also hopefully the only time you will ever plan a wedding :)

Hey if it makes you feel any better by the time we get married on november 8th on Oriana (P&O) we will have been engaged just a few days over 11 years!!! i will be 30 and my Fiance will be 35!!! it is also just the 2 of us that will be onboard and due to the british way of P&O i will not meet or talk with my wedding coordinator til we step onboard!!

Try and relax as much as you can and if you feel the need to contact the wedding coordinator then do so... it will probably put your mind at rest and make you feel better...

This is obviously the wedding that you truly want so just go for it!!! as long as your both married and happy the peripherals dont really matter in the end do they?... (my thoughts only).....just think the 2 of u together on a cruise ship....married!!!!...perfect!!!

I wish you luck and happiness!!!! and im sure you wont need it!!! x

PS our 4 week cruise to the caribbean, miami, Florida and New Orleans from England on P&O Oriana in a balcony stateroom is costing us approx £4,000 each it is £1,000 for the wedding package which includes the license but not flowers, photos and if you want a reception it is extra... just wondering how this compares with carnival and prices in the US?!!

It really sounds to me like you have a lot on your plate and are just stressed.... I mean, my gosh, talk about cart before the horse - you guys aren't even married and have already planned your first pregnancy!

Since a cruise ship wedding is perfect for you then, by all means, continue with the original plan. Perhaps you and FI can use this experience to learn how to better communicate (instead of having to apologize for getting uptight about things that can be considered "normal course")

If the "proper" process for a wedding is something that you desire (bridal registry, bachelorette party, shower, wedding, reception, honeymoon, etc) Maybe you would be better served putting everything off until you are in the situation to have everything you want.

Shoot girl, you are freaking 20! You have PLENTY of time to be married, have kids, etc. You don't need to tie the knot and have a baby by the time you are 22. If you guys are committed to spending the rest of your lives together then wait to have the dream wedding you really want.

A union is a union regardless of a license and the pomp and circumstance surrounding the affair, right? It's all about the intention behind the relationship and the real commitment of the two people. A marriage is not about the wedding, the bridesmaid party, a shower, etc. It's about the two people whom have decided to make a life long commitment to each other and to the babies they bring into the world.

That said - if you are intent on going thru with the shipboard wedding, try to chill. RR/TWE can be a downer, that is totally true. It's just par for the course for some brides. It's not worth creating conflict over, either in your own head, or between you and FI.

No offense, but do you read your posts before you post them? Your best friend might be edit...

Sas80. I appreciate your sentiment although I hate your tone. I've dealt with that most of my life. I've grown up faster than most people and not really by my own choice. I moved in with my fiance when I was 17. We want to start having kids before he's 30 and he turns 28 this august, so while we aren't in a "hurry" we do know what we want in life.

plus I don't see how time is going to move my sister home or convince my FI's family to throw me a wedding shower. and I suppose I'll make new friends in the next year or so, but i don't really think that they will be people close enough to me to throw me a bachelorette party or wedding shower!! Those are supposed to be hosted by those closest to you who know you best!! Like I said, those people in my life are either in a different state or are men who happen to be planning a party for my FI.

You accused my Fiance and I of not having good communication skills and then turn around and say he shouldn't have apologized for being snappy with me about paying for the wedding license. I'd hate to think he was wrong to apologize for that. If good communication means not apologizing when you've caused someone more stress than i don't want any part of it. He didnt HAVE to apologize. I didn't have hard feelings for him being stressed about the extra costs. I certainly know where he stands money wise, so I feel for him that it scares him. (really I know it's about 4 trips to the bar with our buddies that we'll have to give up)

Plus if we didn't believe in marriage we wouldn't be on this board. Marriage IS important. It's important to society and to my personal beliefs. I don't disagree with people who choose not to get married and to "honor their union" in other ways, but that's not our way and to suggest it seems a little backwards on this board.

All in all, you post made me feel as though I have to defend myself. While I'm sure that wasn't your intention, that is what came out. You might be just a bit too sassy for me today. I said I was stressed out about this and instead of being helpful and telling me positive things, you rip on me for being young and insinuate that I shouldn't get married...

I think I'll call my coordinator myself and just say hi and introduce myelf. It will be easier and then maybe she'll get the feel that I want a little more personal contact. Not even a personal ceremony. It could be shaken out of a box in front of me and I wouldn't care as long as someone called and said hello.. HAHA I know, weird priorities!!

Brava sweetheart! ;) You said it all! :D Let's figure out how to talk offline...I would love to work your wedding, if so requested and in Miami...I'd go back and work that wedding just for you! If it's in another port, let me know....I applaude your spirit!

You read more into my post than was there. You read the wrong tone and even mis interpreted what I meant by some of the things things that I said. Truly. I know how I felt when I wrote it and it must have read way different than I intended it to read. I wont defend it in detail because what the writer intends and what the reader interprets are always subject to personality, life experiences, mood, outlook, etc. But I am not trying to back pedal, I am being sincere here.

No worries tho. It sounds like you already have a lot going on.

Sorry to add to your stress, that wasn't my intention. Take a deep breath, hold it for a moment, and shake it off.

Happy sailing!

Don't flame me, but...for once you know how you come across...my best advice is and ALWAYS has been this... re-read whatever you write...read it again, and again...make sure NO ONE will be offended but get your point across if it is a valid one...NEVER offend someone, unless that was your intention. No offense, but alot of you, and you know who you are, want to offend and just plain vent. That is your right, but let others be...

Jdy-I wouldn't want a port wedding, too much MORE stress of wondering if we'd make it to the port and all that. plus I wouldn't have anyone there with me at all. nobody is sailing with us so we have to get married in port to get Any people there! Plus since i'm ont doing a reception onboard and all that I doubt a shore wedding could get cheaper than 1036.25 after taxes and stuff and only the license is left to pay at 168.50. If you think it's be cheaper than that I'd consider it (it's have to be less than 800 before the license I know the licenses can get expensive in other countries. and if we cancel we'll only get about 936 back)

No problem :) ...it was only a suggestion, as you sounded very indifferent about your ship wedding the other day. But in case anyone else was interested, the basic wedding package for the place we booked was $595 (no frills)...of course we did loads of add ons to this; harpist, horse & carriage to and from the venue (that was a $600 add on !), flowers, sashed seats,champagne, cake up grade, sitdown meal for 10 (we found a lovely American family on the cruise ship to be our witnesses) at their fabulous restaurant - so the total bill was more like $2250 but we had everything we wanted, exactly as we wanted it. :D

http://grandoldhouse.com/packages.html

And I just wanted to wish you every happiness for your up and coming wedding and hope you have a really special day - and I'm sure it will be in the end ! Good luck with the baby plans too......who knows, you might get a nice souvenir from your cruise ;)

No offense, but do you read your posts before you post them? Your best friend might be edit...

Do you think your post is really either constructive or necessary here?:confused:

OP is already stressed enough, she doesnt need you jumping in trying to get things riled up!

She and I have resolved the situation between us. You would know that if you read our posts to each other.

Is it really necessary for you to jump in and become an instigator? Quite possibly it is YOU who should stop and consider your actions. You are truly not helping anyone with your post.

No problem :) ...it was only a suggestion, as you sounded very indifferent about your ship wedding the other day. But in case anyone else was interested, the basic wedding package for the place we booked was $595 (no frills)...of course we did loads of add ons to this; harpist, horse & carriage to and from the venue (that was a $600 add on !), flowers, sashed seats,champagne, cake up grade, sitdown meal for 10 (we found a lovely American family on the cruise ship to be our witnesses) at their fabulous restaurant - so the total bill was more like $2250 but we had everything we wanted, exactly as we wanted it. :D

And I just wanted to wish you every happiness for your up and coming wedding and hope you have a really special day - and I'm sure it will be in the end ! Good luck with the baby plans too......who knows, you might get a nice souvenir from your cruise ;)

And since, as you pointed out, canceling your wedding would only cost you $100, maybe you should take some time to look into alternatives. It doesn't hurt to shop around and $100 lost when you trade that for eliminating a stressful situation, seems like a good trade to me!

Don't flame me, but...for once you know how you come across...my best advice is and ALWAYS has been this... re-read whatever you write...read it again, and again...make sure NO ONE will be offended but get your point across if it is a valid one...NEVER offend someone, unless that was your intention. No offense, but alot of you, and you know who you are, want to offend and just plain vent. That is your right, but let others be...

You always seem to be on some proverbial "high horse" or "soap box" when you post on these boards and you are always accusing others of different kinds of wrong doings on these boards....why is that?

In your posts YOU are the one who calls out everyone as defensive, derogatory, offensive, rude, etc. It seems like you take great pride in making sure that you point out every post, regardless of wether or not it even involves you, where you feel some sort of injustice has been served.

Please consider leaving everyone else out of your rants and just post happy, helpful and constructive information.

It always seems like your posts are simply designed to cause drama, friction and arguments.....:confused:

Perhaps it is you that should think twice, and re read your posts, before you hit that submit button... Ask yourself -

"Is this post, are these words, really necessary? "

"Are my words designed to help the situation and be constructive?"

"Are my words simply designed to attack people and create drama?"

You seem to negatively interject yourself into other peoples situations a LOT. I'm just sayin.....

THAT SAID This is not YOUR thread. It is not polite to hijack someone else's thread and take it totally OFF TOPIC because you feel like you need to rant about some "overall" injustice that you see going on on these boards. Please respect OP.

You always seem to be on some proverbial "high horse" or "soap box" when you post on these boards and you are always accusing others of different kinds of wrong doings on these boards....why is that?

In your posts YOU are the one who calls out everyone as defensive, derogatory, offensive, rude, etc. It seems like you take great pride in making sure that you point out every post, regardless of wether or not it even involves you, where you feel some sort of injustice has been served.

Please consider leaving everyone else out of your rants and just post happy, helpful and constructive information.

It always seems like your posts are simply designed to cause drama, friction and arguments.....:confused:

Perhaps it is you that should think twice, and re read your posts, before you hit that submit button... Ask yourself -

"Is this post, are these words, really necessary? "

"Are my words designed to help the situation and be constructive?"

"Are my words simply designed to attack people and create drama?"

You seem to negatively interject yourself into other peoples situations a LOT. I'm just sayin.....

THAT SAID This is not YOUR thread. It is not polite to hijack someone else's thread and take it totally OFF TOPIC because you feel like you need to rant about some "overall" injustice that you see going on on these boards. Please respect OP.

Wow...the pot calling the kettle black...no one, except you accuses my tone of being rude or arrogant. Rant away because that is your right and I for one will not hijack your posts. Take care! ;)

Wow 595 IS pretty cheap. But it does seem a little more basic than what I would look for and again by the time I added on everything I wanted it would probably be pretty $$$$!!

I was pretty indifferent, but I really am thinking it was a mixture of bridal blues and SAD. (seasonal affective disorder!!) Luckily the sun coming out really makes me excited to be in FL and to get married where the air smells like salt water and the ocean!

I guess I just needed to re-rev my engines about it all.

Now to those of you who are arguing, please just stop. I can stand up for myself. I did so respectfully and so that no hard feelings were left between SAS80 and I. I think I handled it better than some of the other posters here. Just stop and remember why we are gathering together!! To celebrate and help each other in the next step in our relationships. Some people have posted reviews of their experiences so that others may learn, and some ask questions. However the point of this board is to HELP EACH OTHER. please if that isn't what you're here to do, just step back until you are able to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I'd rather be married by one of my best friends than try to deal with TWE.

But then again, Hollidaygal has offered her services to make sure that you have a great wedding so that you can post about it on this forum-- so you should probably take advantage of that!

I wish you the best of luck and be wary of who you trust. Had Hollidaygal not intervened, the service that you described in your original post would be exactly what you'd get. But hopefully she'll be able to help with making sure everything goes well.

I know what it's like to be a young bride and deal with those comments, so I understand where you're coming from.

It seems that SaS80 has finally gotten Hollidaygal to abandon her professionalism and start on her attack. Cat claws.

It must be frustrating to work for a company without morals.

And if things don't go well, there's always the BBB.

Archived