Restaraunt help!!!

Cruisechic470

I am looking for affordable, non-touristy restaraunts that my family and I can eat at during our pre-cruise stay. We've been to senor frogs so many times, as well as another mexican restaraunt. Many people recommend La Bombonera, has anyone ever been here? How's the food, what do they have to eat? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Word is that La Bombonera isn't really a dinner place, but more for breakfast & lunch. They're supposed to have really good coffee and bakery.

I, myself, was thinking of going to Senor Frogs for dinner. Is the food good or is it really more of a rowdy bar?

It's more of a rowdy bar. I made the mistake of taking my child there one evening for dinner since we were exhausted and staying next door at the Sheraton. While we were eating, everyone in the entire place started shouting for us to stand up in our chairs to join them in the silly dance they were doing. They wouldn't stop shouting until I stood up in my chair, feeling absolutely ridiculous. The partying goes on until very late at night.

If you liked Senor Frogs you could trythe Hard Rock. We were in Old San Juan last November and tried Cafe Puerto Rico...it is in Christopher Columbus Square, several blocks from Senor Frogs. Many locals eat there....the food is fantastic and very reasonable ($15-30 per person depending upon drinks, appetisers,deserts etc).

Word is that La Bombonera isn't really a dinner place, but more for breakfast & lunch. They're supposed to have really good coffee and bakery.

I, myself, was thinking of going to Senor Frogs for dinner. Is the food good or is it really more of a rowdy bar?

Its a rowdy bar for partying. I like it there but not to eat ;)

Wanted to try something different so we ate at cafe amapola in Old San Juan. Its between the 2 forts looking over the water. Good food and good cocktails. You can take the shuttle bus and they have a stop right in front. Not a tourist trap but a nic cafe www.cafeamaploa.com

Eat upstairs on the patio...great view!!:D

We love Cafe Mallorca and also El Jibarito. Here is a link to our journal entry for that day. Photos included of both restaurants. Enjoy, Debbie

http://journals.aol.com/dfriia/circle-south-america-2008-aboard/entries/2008/03/02/day-58---march-1-2008---san-juan-puerto-rico/1805

Is this far from the cruise terminal? Thanks for the journal an pics

Both are within walking distance. Maybe 15 minutes to get to either from the OSJ cruise piers. Of course, it is uphill going, but it is downhill on the way back! Debbie

Cafe Mallorca - 300 Calle San Francisco - right on a small square

280 Calle del Sol between Calle San Justo and right before Calle Tanca

Archived