What wine(s) do you bring?

patrice1

I want to bring some wine for the first time, as I'm not that crazy about Carnival's wine list. Would like everyone to post their favorites - sort of like the "Best book I've ever read..." posts. We prefer reds, but like a nice Sauvingon Blanc or other full-bodied white on occasion. About $30 is the most we'll spend, but love finding really good wines under $15. Any suggestions?

Although my cruise experience is limited to P&O, Cunard, HAL and Fred Olsen, my experience suggests that wines at the prices you seek are well covered and that to lug on board everyday wine and then pay corkage, just isn't worth it.

However, ship wine lists, due to a smallish finite cap on the number of bins are poor in depth of quality and therefore choice.

The corkage is the same whether it's a generic Malbec from Chile or Chateau Petrus.

Vale For Money kicks in when you bring on board UK retail £30+ wines as, if this was to be on the list, would sell for £60+ and you would only have the modest corkage on top to pay.

Start drinking "high-end" Burgundies or D'Yquem (for dessert) and the VFM goes off the scale - and remember the corkage is the same.

Risk? Bit of a bummer if your hand luggage containing your La Tache '76 drops off the trolley on to the floor in the embarkation hall! Oh well, it was probably past its best anyway !!!

Cambria Pinot Noir is one of my favs, also Blackstone Merlot is good and reasonably priced. The 2005 harvest for Shiraz was excellent, Yellowtail has a 2005 "Reserve" that is very good. Most local wine merchants have weeky tastings, they are always fun and helpful in discovering new wines. In my book, there are only two kinds of wine, the kind I like and the kind I don't. LOL.

Good luck in your search.

that are in the $10-30 range and have no problem with corkage charge. Our usual selections are Calif. zins, NZ sauv. blanc, OZ-syrahs. We don't buy boxed or very cheap wines like 2 buck chuck. No Yellowtail.

Hi - we keep a wine notebook & I have dragged it out and here are some favorites - we like RED also

Lawson Ranch - Cabernet Sauvignon

Korta - Cabernet Franc

Crane Lake - Petite Sirah

G.D. Vajra - Langhe Rosso

Ironberry - Merlot

Betty

Got introduced to Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc (from the Marlborough region of New Zealand) on my first Princess cruise and was hooked. It was the 2005 vintage at the time, which was great. The 2006, not so much. Just tried the 2007 last week and it's as good as '05.

Looking forward to seeing what the Sea Princess has to offer in July.

p.s. I just checked and they offer it on Carnival too.

Ok, I just discovered the most incredibly wonderful Cab I've ever tasted:

Root 1: Cabernet Sauvignon

It is Chilean and they don't use grafted vines. They also (according to our favorite hang-out where we discovered this nectar of the gods) are somehow "green" ... sustainable, organic, etc. I paid (at the restaurant) $25 for the bottle.

Very smooth, but yet a good Cab flavor and lots of chocolate and dark berries. Love it.

I also would recommend (if you can get wines shipped from out of state to your home) prairieberry.com This is a family winery in Hill City South Dakota that has some of the absolute best wines I've ever had. They have different fruit wines (their Gold Digger pear wine is incredible).

I also love love love Chateau neuf du Pape. I subscribe via podcast to a Wine Lover's podcast and he did a review once on this. You can get a very decent one for around $20.

Debra

countdown.pl?name=Debra&date=9-13-2008&image=Beach-8&text=&ship=Carnival Liberty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We have a new winery near us... Westport Winery!

We stopped in for a wine tasting, ended up buying 3 bottles, and joining their wine club! :p

We plan to bring a small selection of their offerings...

Ancient Mariner Asian Pear Wine,

Little Wild Blackberry Riesling,

Red Sky at Night (raspberry with chocolate flavor),

Rapture of the Deep (sparkling cranberry wine)

We'll also bring a Brut along for mimosas in the mornings :D

There are different price range for Nobilo depending on the specific vineyard. Costco starts around $10. If you want a little pricier -- Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc (around $22 Costco) -- also from New Zealand. Try some wines and just take what YOU enjoy. Pricier is not better for many -- just a matter of individual taste. Yes -- we drink all sorts of wines daily -- $4 to $75 and enjoy them all.

Got introduced to Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc (from the Marlborough region of New Zealand) on my first Princess cruise and was hooked. It was the 2005 vintage at the time, which was great. The 2006, not so much. Just tried the 2007 last week and it's as good as '05.

Price wise for Merlot, I cannot find anything that comes close to Barefoot.. For Cab, I have found that the drinkability varies, and again price is not necessarily a consideration. I have had more expensive and it was better suited for use as a braise liquid addition, and have had cheeeeeap, that was actually very nice.... So subjective, is this wine selection. Much like a good lager or ale.. :p

• 5 weeks later...

Here are 3 really nice savvy Bs

Rauni this is a aussie wine about 20

White Haven also asssie about 15

And my all time fav Benessere 2005 savvy b about 30

This is a small boutique winery in Calif. I have never had a bad beessere wine chris really knows what hes doing.

For a really great red try a 2006 Amon-ra shiraz winery paul glaetzer

For this wine buy 2 drink one now and celler the other one till2018

This is a huge wine with so many layers.:)

Archived