What to do in Key West?

Luv2Cruise12

Will be in Key West in the beginning of November on the Imagination. We dock at 7:30am and leave at 2:00pm. What is the best excursion to do in such a short time. The age group varies from 9 to 60 so the excursion can't be too difficult. We would also like to do some shopping. Does anyone know where Carnival docks? Where is Margarettaville, can you walk from the pier?

I suggest anyone going to Key West for the first time to either take the Conch train or trolley.They are informative and take in total about 2 hours. You can pick them up either through your ship or directly in Mallory Square. The ship excursion is an abreviated version of the full length tours. Also if take the trolley on your own you may get on and off at any of the stops. When I lived in KW we used to take the Train every 6 months because we always had a good time(the tour was also alot longer back then also).

If I am not mistaken Carnival usually docks at the Outer Mole(Naval Station Sub Pens).

Margaretttavile is located on Duval Street near Sloppy Joes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I would think that they would certainly enjoy a stroll by the Mel Fisher Museum up Whitehead St a ways and then maybe back down Duval just enjoying the scenery.

Admission for Ripleys is around $16pp and it is not very large at all.

Again, this is just my opinion. I am sure there are many who enjoy it.

Mike:D

I was there this past july and Ripley's was Out of Business. I've been to KW twice, and I really enjoy it.

Things I've done: Rent scooters and tear up the streets! Mallory Square at Sunset, just walk and shop, ate at Blue Heaven (they have chickens running around where you eat..it's ouside under old sails tied between trees), Ate at Crabby Dick's several times, especially neat when you can people watch from their second story deck. Go bar hopping..I liked Capt Tony's and their punch..plus sloppy Joes..but it can be really crowded. Went to Fort Zacahary Taylor..Civil War era fort, plus a beach(which isn't a strong point of KW due to all the coral breaking up the ocean waves)

We visited the Mel Fisher Museum. Read his book years ago so, we were really looking forward to seeing the treasure of the Atochia. Cost was very low (I think it was $7 ea) and we loved every minute. It is just across the street from where the shuttle drops you off. We just asked the driver and he pointed it out to us.

A good idea with the children is the new Pirate Soul museum on Front Street (a short walk from the cruise ship docks).

It's really well done, with interactive exhibits and a Disney-esque feel. The owner, Pat Croce, invested over $10 million into the project.

Hope you have fun in Key West! :)

I was at a luncheon last month (I work in the museum field) and was seated next to a colleague who knows Pat Croce and worked with him on the Pirate Museum and could not stop raving about it. Croce is going for a full multi-media experience while using the best artifacts he can find. He has been outbidding everyone at auctions that are selling pirate artifacts. If you go there, please post something about the museum on this forum.

Archived