Don't use your cabin phone for any long distance calls!

toledo

We had a great cruise, but thought we should warn people about this small detail! Occasionally we were unable to get cell phone service. On one occasion we used the cabin phone for a two minute call and it was $20. I believe the posted rate was $10 per minute. We should have waited to make the call.

We had a great cruise, but thought we should warn people about this small detail! Occasionally we were unable to get cell phone service. On one occasion we used the cabin phone for a two minute call and it was $20. I believe the posted rate was $10 per minute. We should have waited to make the call.

2 min x $10 a min would indeed = $20. Not higher math so yes, you should have waited.

When we went to the Western Caribbean a couple of years ago, a lot of people got reception in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. So the days of not getting good reception seem to be over. The first cruise I ever took we made a call from the room....first and last time!! :rolleyes:

even with your cell phones you are getting charged by the cruiseline for use of their SATELITE reception!! You are bouncing off the cruise lines own personal tower ON THE SHIP. It still isn't going to be cheap. I think I read $7.50 a minute or something.

My 3 minute cell phone call (Verizon) from the ship to my daughter cost $7.47. Cheaper than the ship's phone but still expensive. Still worth it because I had a teenage daughter at home who was having an allergic reaction to her meds on the morning we left. Had to check on her for peace of mind. After that the phone went off and into the safe for the duration of the cruise.

Gotta read that stuff they give you when you board. It's all in there, as well as on the sticker right there on the phone.

My opinion is that the phone is for dire emergencies on a cruise. I turn my cell off and put it in the safe, not to be retrieved until we get done.

even with your cell phones you are getting charged by the cruiseline for use of their SATELITE reception!! You are bouncing off the cruise lines own personal tower ON THE SHIP. It still isn't going to be cheap. I think I read $7.50 a minute or something.

Wow, so many inaccuracies so little time. :cool:

I also got a $30 surprise phone charge on our cruise bill.:mad: My 11 year old daughter decided to call her older brother at home to make sure our new puppy was ok. She had no idea there was a charge and it never occured to me to tell the kids not to use the phone. Oh yeah she called twice but luckily the first time he didn't answered.

No calls for me...I don't even check email. My cell stays in the safe and I have a relaxing vacation.

I agree with you doll. After my last call telling my buddy we are on a cruise ship and he isn't, in the safe it goes. LMAO:D

Wow, so many inaccuracies so little time. :cool:

That's what I was thinkin. :cool:

I always seem to cruise on Mother's Day. Several years ago, I wanted to call my mother from the ship. I didn't have a cell at the time.

After reading the info, that is right by the phone, I decided she could do without the Happy Mother's Day from me that year. I think back then it was $7.99 p/min.

I'm with the other posters.....my cell goes in the safe. I take it to ports with me in case of emergency, but it stays off.

I just don't get why some people are so concerned about the phone rates while on a cruise. There is absolutely nobody I need to speak with while cruising.....if there were, I guess I'd be at home and not on a cruise.

If I am cruising with my better half, no comuniacations... Cell phone off, no checking of e-mails. I even hate to watch the news. (I remember before ships had T.V. in every room. I sort of miss that)

If my better half is at home I will keep in touch with the daily e-mail and that is it. I tried the cell phone on the Elation in Jan and a few short calls home ended up costing $ 50.00

Tom in Long Beach

Archived