Diving in cool water

Jimmers

We will be in Bermuda for one day in mid April and are thinking about trying some wreck diving. The water temperature is expected to be around 67F. My wife and I have only dived in the Caribbean and was wondering if 67 degrees is going to be uncomfortable even with a full wetsuit. Should we pass up the diving this time around?

We will be in Bermuda for one day in mid April and are thinking about trying some wreck diving. The water temperature is expected to be around 67F. My wife and I have only dived in the Caribbean and was wondering if 67 degrees is going to be uncomfortable even with a full wetsuit. Should we pass up the diving this time around?

First off, no, don't pass up the diving. While it is colder in Bermuda in the winter/early spring, it's because the gulf stream moves away from the island at that time of year bringing in clear, cool Atlantic deep waters. It's some of the clearest, and best diving in Bermuda at that time of year. As far as 67F, 7mm full suit if you're not used to those temps. I live in upstate NY, we dive 65F in 3mm with hoodies and no gloves so it's all what you're used to (I did Maine last fall in 47F with a 7mm and 3mm gloves and hoodie ;) ).

Randall

P.S. go with Blue Water Divers. They're the best there (dove with them 3 times on different occasions and had a blast every time).

First off, no, don't pass up the diving. While it is colder in Bermuda in the winter/early spring, it's because the gulf stream moves away from the island at that time of year bringing in clear, cool Atlantic deep waters. It's some of the clearest, and best diving in Bermuda at that time of year. As far as 67F, 7mm full suit if you're not used to those temps. I live in upstate NY, we dive 65F in 3mm with hoodies and no gloves so it's all what you're used to (I did Maine last fall in 47F with a 7mm and 3mm gloves and hoodie ;) ).

Randall

P.S. go with Blue Water Divers. They're the best there (dove with them 3 times on different occasions and had a blast every time).

Randall,

Where in upstate NY are you? I'm a former upstate NYer living in GA now.

67 deg? thts bath water for diving here in ohio.....the 7 mil will keep u warm, but remember that suit will add more positive bouency to you which means more lead but other than that....no worries

Randall,

Where in upstate NY are you? I'm a former upstate NYer living in GA now.

Our dive shop has a trip to Bermuda in early November. Are the waters already cool by then or does anyone know the approx temp that time of year?

The Saratoga Springs area just south of Lake George.

Official average water temps in Nov. - 73.8F

67 deg? thts bath water for diving here in ohio.....the 7 mil will keep u warm, but remember that suit will add more positive bouency to you which means more lead but other than that....no worries

Where are you at in cleveland? Thats where im from!

Thanks for the encouragement (I think):) . 67 degrees sounds pretty darn cold to me and I was half hoping that experienced folks would say, NO WAY.

But now it looks like I have no excuse to not give it a try.

Scubaran, I checked out blue divers and they sound like a good outfit and somerset is only 5 minutes from the ship.

thanks again to all

Jimmers

Thanks for the encouragement (I think):) . 67 degrees sounds pretty darn cold to me and I was half hoping that experienced folks would say, NO WAY.

But now it looks like I have no excuse to not give it a try.

Scubaran, I checked out blue divers and they sound like a good outfit and somerset is only 5 minutes from the ship.

thanks again to all

Jimmers

Hi,

You can check out underwater pictures from Bermuda on my photo website at http://www.randallgamby.com. This should get you in the water despite the temps. :)

r

At 67 it's only that first step off the boat and the second dive that will get you. If you have a skin, don't wear it on the first dive. Add it under your suit for the second dive. Mine is fleece lined and toasty for that second dive.

67? That's dry suit temperature for me. I'd just wear a lighter undergarment.

Archived