Princess group cruise question

TimInOhio

Forgive me, but the search function keeps giving me an error, so I will ask here.

I'm planning a group cruise on Princess. My usual TA has informed me that getting a free berth or cabin is "very rare," even though I have read several places that generally 16 paid passengers in 8 cabins qualifies the group leader for a free berth - and that 16 more paid passengers in 8 more cabins usually means a free double occupancy cabin for the group leader. My question is this: is the free berth/cabin dictated by Princess or by each TA? Have I misunderstood the way it works? I've already got 22 people ready to go, and I want to make sure I understand things go as I think they should.

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Tim, Although I can't answer your question, I think this would be one thing I would call Princess about and see what there answer is before believing everything a travel agent told me. My understanding is there is a free berth for so many cabins booked, although I can't remember how many that needs to be. Now I could be wrong on this one, but it is definitely worth checking into direct with Princess Cruisers. 1-800-PRINCESS

i am a travel agent and can tell you, yes you do get 1 free for every 8 cabins double occupancy cruise rate, you must pay the taxes. i would call another agent that will offer that to you. our agency always gives the client that perk!

I agree dump your TA and eithr go with princess or get another TA that y ou can feel comfortable with. My TA is always telling me to get a group together and get a cabin for free, but I am too lazy! :o This is with Princess. Not sure how the other cruiselines do it.

We received the free deal (for one passenger only) when we sailed with our group for our wedding.

What we received was one cruise fare free, had to pay the taxes still. And we received the money when we returned from our cruise.

We had 10 cabins booked.

We received the free deal (for one passenger only) when we sailed with our group for our wedding.

What we received was one cruise fare free, had to pay the taxes still. And we received the money when we returned from our cruise.

We had 10 cabins booked.

Do you mean that you had to pay the cruise fare, but it was refunded after your cruise was over? That seems like an odd way to do things, especially with all I've read about Princess having problems refunding money and making adjustments!

I have 16 booked in 8 Dble. cabins - my TA told m I will get 1 free berth (Average Total of lowest 16 fares - minus taxes) .........I don't know exactly how this will be paid/rebated (I have asked my TA for the final figures as the Final Payment is coming due) - I think it will come off my own final payment balance.

I also asked Princess Direct (when I was pricing around) and they told me the same..............I went with my own TA however, because the price was better.

Other discount agencies found on the web offerred me the same..........

Good Luck! :D

The free berths you are refering to are called TC's or tour conductor credits. They are based on the number of lower berths sold. you recieve one TC for every eight lower berths sold. The TC does not include non-comissionable fees such as port charges, taxes or fuel suplement charges. The category of cabin you get for the TC is generally based on what the majority of the cabins sold are. If you have 16 lowers sold in 4 baclonies, 2 OV and 2 inside the TC would be a balcony.

Do you mean that you had to pay the cruise fare, but it was refunded after your cruise was over? That seems like an odd way to do things, especially with all I've read about Princess having problems refunding money and making adjustments!

Yes. I paid for the cruise, and then had one cruise fare refunded shortly after we got home. I beleive they refund my travel agent, and then my travel agent sent me the money.

The free berths you are referring to are called TC's or tour conductor credits. They are based on the number of lower berths sold. you receive one TC for every eight lower berths sold. The TC does not include non-comissionable fees such as port charges, taxes or fuel supplement charges. The category of cabin you get for the TC is generally based on what the majority of the cabins sold are. If you have 16 lowers sold in 4 balconies, 2 OV and 2 inside the TC would be a balcony.

I was told that all 16 (lower) berths are added up (less non comissionables) then divided by 16 and the answer is the $$ amount you will be refunded.

I have booked 4 Minis, 1 Balc. and 3 Insides......When I do the numbers my 'rebate' comes out to be $$ amount between the Insides and the Balcony fare. However waiting to see what my TA says - :rolleyes:

Yes, get a new TA. Some TAs keep the TC credits to bump up their own comissions, so go with one that lets you use the TC credits, especially if you're the one putting together the group. Depending on the season and timing of the cruise, you can also find ones with better than a 16 to 1 TC ratio as well.

Don't forget too that your group accumulates amenity points which can be exchanged for gifts and onboard credits for every cabin. Go with a travel agent who will give all the amenity points to your group and not keep half of them to boost their own commission. :D

What are amenity points? I have 17 cabins booked so far with friends and family. TA said we could "split" the free berths (2) between all who are sailing as OBC. Already getting $25pp OBC, Wine and Photo

Should I be checking into something different?

3/1/09 CROWN PRINCESS

What are amenity points? I have 17 cabins booked so far with friends and family. TA said we could "split" the free berths (2) between all who are sailing as OBC. Already getting $25pp OBC, Wine and Photo

Should I be checking into something different?

3/1/09 CROWN PRINCESS

Every itinerary has a certain number of amenity points allocated, which can be used for things like wine, photos, cocktail parties, OBCs, cabin upgrades, etc. Some travel agents only allocate a portion of those back to the group and keep some to bump up their comissions. That's not a problem if the agent is putting together the group, but a better agent will recognize that if the travellers are the ones creating the group, they should get all the amenity points.

A polite way of asking for this is to say that since you are putting together the group, you'd like the opportunity to look at the amenity menu and select your own bonuses based on what the other in the group would appreciate the most. This lets the agent gracefully cede all the amenity points to you.

Archived