On The Voyager..Is Portside always portside

Yes. The ship docks with starboard side towards the port in some places, others the portside is to the dock - sometimes she's been known to dock both ways - in the same port.

Firstly 'port' side has nothing at all to do with the side the ship docks.

A quick history lesson:

The Vikings called the side of their ship its board, and they placed the steering oar, the "star" on the right side of the ship, thus that side became known as the "star board." It's been that way ever since. And, because the oar was in the right side, the ship was tied to the dock at the left side. This was known as the loading side or "larboard". Later, it was decided that "larboard" and "starboard" were too similar, especially when trying to be heard over the roar of a heavy sea, so the phrase became the "side at which you tied up to in port" or the "port" side.

Whether the ship docks portside or starboard side depends...Ships are generally assigned docks by the harbormaster and he will dictate which side the ship will tie up to. Depending on wind, tides and currents at the time of arrival or departure the captain may request to tie up port or starboard.

We are booked in a cabin on the starboard side. I am wondering if the ship ever docks with the starboard side port side??

Thanks' date='Carla[/quote']

She sure does! In Galveston in February, she docked to starboard both before and after my cruise. We also docked to starboard at Montego Bay and Cozumel.

Firstly 'port' side has nothing at all to do with the side the ship docks.

A quick history lesson:

The Vikings called the side of their ship its board, and they placed the steering oar, the "star" on the right side of the ship, thus that side became known as the "star board." It's been that way ever since. And, because the oar was in the right side, the ship was tied to the dock at the left side. This was known as the loading side or "larboard". Later, it was decided that "larboard" and "starboard" were too similar, especially when trying to be heard over the roar of a heavy sea, so the phrase became the "side at which you tied up to in port" or the "port" side.

Whether the ship docks portside or starboard side depends...Ships are generally assigned docks by the harbormaster and he will dictate which side the ship will tie up to. Depending on wind, tides and currents at the time of arrival or departure the captain may request to tie up port or starboard.

An interesting bit of history. Thanks!!

We had a port side hump cabin on the 2/24 sailing. We docked with a view of the port everywhere but in Galveston. Our itinerary was Cozumel, Roatan, Progeso. In Cozumel Radiance pulled in after us and blocked our view but it was cool watching her come in.

Typically when Voyager pulls into Galveston, she comes in port side to the dock, turns around and docks with the starboard side facing the dock. When we came back to Galveston we turned around way out by Seawolf Park (I think because Conquest was taking it's sweet time in front of us getting docked) and we BACKED all the way in. Never saw that before and I was disappointed since I was looking forward to being able to see the dock side while pulling in before turning around.

Hey, if that's the only thing I can find to complain about, it must have been a pretty good cruise! :p ;) :D

But, as has been pointed out, you can't always count on the same ship to dock the same way at the same ports all the time.

Archived