Whale watching in September?

ChBoxers800

Although our ship offers whale watching as an excursion, websites I've visited seem to imply that after August, whale watching is not that great in New England.

Can anyone who has done whale watching in September share your experience and what port you went out of?

Thanks!

We cruised mid-september of 2005, and had excellent pre-cruise whale watching out of Plymouth and Rockport MA (humpbacks plus fin whales from each location), as well as out of Bar Harbor (humpbacks mobbing the boat) and Halifax (dolphins and pilot whales) on the cruise itself. Additionally, we saw many, many whales (mostly fins, but some humpbacks) from the ship on our final sea day (cruising back from Halifax to Boston along the coast of maine) and also on our way out of boston on the first day of the cruise (humpbacks).

We cruised mid-september of 2005, and had excellent pre-cruise whale watching out of Plymouth and Rockport MA (humpbacks plus fin whales from each location), as well as out of Bar Harbor (humpbacks mobbing the boat) and Halifax (dolphins and pilot whales) on the cruise itself. Additionally, we saw many, many whales (mostly fins, but some humpbacks) from the ship on our final sea day (cruising back from Halifax to Boston along the coast of maine) and also on our way out of boston on the first day of the cruise (humpbacks).

Oh my gosh, thats amazing! My sister in law is only going on this cruise with us cause she wants to go whale watching! LOL I was trying to decide what excursion to sign up for but now I'm wondering if we will even need to. Thanks so much for the info. I was really worried that mid September was going to be too late for them. :D

The excursions are worth taking...most whale sightings from the ship were quick and distant; good binoculars a lot of patience were required. Some of the whale watch operators cut back their schedules a lot after labor day, but the ship's excursions should still be running (and you should be able to find some private options in the greater Boston area.

Archived