Water Island

Cruisechic470

My wife and I went to Water Island last week while on board the Carnival Destiny . . . while we did not go with any organized tour, I am more than willing to share our little "adventure" there.

Originally my wife and I were planning on visiting one of the more well-known beaches on St. Thomas, but right before going on the trip I heard about Water Island and Honeymoon Beach . . . and to be honest it sounded like a perfect way to relax and kick off our Caribbean cruise.

We left the Destiny around 9:30 or so and grabbed a taxi ride to Crown Bay Marina . . . at which point we got on board the water taxi for the short ride over to Water Island.

On the way over we struck up a conversation with some of the islanders who live there, along with Jan Robinson, a fascinating woman who has served as a cook on board various sailboats and who now splits her time living on St. Thomas and on Water Island.

When we reached Water Island Jan graciously asked us if we wanted a ride in her "limo" to the beach . . . the limo being a golf cart. Since one of our goals in doing this cruise was to meet people we agreed. Jan first stopped at her house, a home perched high above Honeymoon Beach . . . a house she rents out for the week incidentally. It was there that we met Tom, the island Handyman. After helping Tom wire up a mirror we left Jan's home and went to the beach . . . after a brief stop at the island dump (Jan wasn't going to take us there originally, but I told her that it wouldn't be a problem to stop by there first before dropping us off.)

Honeymoon Beach was perfect . . . if you are looking for a quiet, relaxed beach. We were able to get one of the free shade umbrellas that are permanently mounted there and after that I alternated between swimming, snorkeling (a few fish, conches, sea grass, etc.) and just relaxing on the beach. This to me was what I was hoping to find in the Caribbean . . . a place to simply relax without motorized watercraft, crowds of folks, etc.

While we never ate there, Jan assured us that Heidi's Snack Wagon was a great place for a snack and was the "best" place to get a burger. We did end up buying some water there and a couple of sodas at the small mini-bar shack set up further down on the beach.

Later in the afternoon a pirate ship and catamaran tour came on to the beach . . . but honestly there was enough room and so few folks that it still didn't get crowded.

We left around 2 or so . . . although I would have loved to have stayed a lot longer . . . it truly was a great place to start off our vacation.

Thanks firefighterjake... It sounds like you had a great time!

Oh yeah . . . as I said it was a perfect way to officially start off our cruise . . . it really set the tone for the rest of the trip and I do believe it was right there at Honeymoon Beach that I began planning our second cruise . . . oh yeah, I think I may be addicted . . . my beloved snowmobile will no doubt be forgotten about next February as there really is something to be said about swimming in middle of the winter while it's snowing like a banshee back home!:D

Do you know of any place to rent a golf cart on the island (if it's possible)? Where does the water taxi drop off on water island? How long off a trip is it to Crown Bay Marina from the docks? Thanks!

1) Don't know . . . I didn't see any place to rent a golf cart, but then again I wasn't looking either.

2) The water taxi drops you off at the dock . . . about a five to ten minute walk to Honeymoon Beach.

3) Havensight to the Crown Bay Marina was 15-20 minutes by taxi.

does anyone know how often the water taxi runs and what the price is round trip? Is there a website with the schedule?

Thanks, Rick

Found it!:

Water Island Ferry (340) 690-4159

Rates: Adults/$5 one-way, $9 roundtrip and Children/$3 one-way and $5 roundtrip. First two boxes/luggage are free; $1 each additional item. Weekly, monthly and commuter passes are available. Tickets are sold by the captain once on board.

Time: 10 minutes

Special runs are available on request, additional fare may apply.

Leaving Crown Bay, St. Thomas

Monday-Saturday

6:30 am

7:15 am

8:00 am

10:30 am

12 noon

2:00 pm

3:15 pm

4:15 pm

5:15 pm

6:00 pm

Sundays and Holidays*

8:00 am

10:30 am

12:00 noon

3:00 pm

5:00 pm

Leaving Water Island

Monday-Saturday

6:45 am

7:30 am

8:15 am

10:45 am

12:15 pm

2:15 pm

3:30 pm

4:30 pm

5:30 pm

6:10 pm

Sundays and Holidays*

8:15 am

10:45am

12:15 pm

3:15 pm

5:15 pm

*4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Memorial Day

Wed., Fri. & Sat. Nights*

9:00 pm

Wed., Fri. & Sat. Nights*

9:15 pm

*Call to request/confirm night ferry service. One-way ticket $10 for 1 passenger, discounts available for multiple passengers traveling together.

How hard of a walk is it to the beach. I have a bad knee. Was the ground rugged or mushy or paved? Was the walk on flat land or sloped?

Paved . . . walk up and walk down a hill . . . I was recovering from a sprained knee the week previously and didn't have any issues.

We went to Water Island a couple of years ago and would definitely go back the next time we are in St. Thomas. We bought a cooler, food, and drinks at the store at the dock while we were waiting for the water taxi since we were not sure if there would be anything available on the island. The pizza boat did come in so we would have had food available. We bought a couple of drinks at the only bar open that day and were allowed to use the only two lounge chairs for free for the entire day. The only tour that stopped at the beach that day was the bike tour and they were not there for very long. Another couple who were staying in a rental house were the only other people on the beach. Water island will always be one of our favorite beaches. Noticed recently that Sea Dream has put Water Island on some of its itineraries for 2009.

Archived