I have this terrible fear!!!

jeanneful

Why not just buy a new one now to be sure you are travelling with one that works? Just use it for trips/cruises. Use your old one at home until it "dies". Buying one at home would probably be cheaper also!

If you buy one in Europe, be sure it has the correct plugs, current, etc. for use in your home, too.

No sense having such a fear that could be stopped with a few dollars.

Enjoy your cruise! Deb C.

This is copied off Celebrity's website:

Prohibited Items

Items with Heating Elements or Open Flames

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. (Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed.)

to Jeanneful - If you are staying in Europe before you sail , just be sure you buy a dual voltage curling iron. The first time I went to Europe mine wasn't and it 'fried' and wouldn't work. So I made sure the 2nd one was dual for when I was staying in a hotel.

to firstplacechef - you cannot take an iron, but you can take a curling iron. wouldn't sail w/o mine!

I am always afraid that my curling iron will quit working. I really don't want to bring two with me, so my question is, do they sell them in the ships shops? I would hate to have to buy one at the ports in Europe.

How about buying a butane curling iron. Pick up a couple of the small (tiny) cylinders for it. Have them here in U.S. and in Canada. Millie

How about buying a butane curling iron. Pick up a couple of the small (tiny) cylinders for it. Have them here in U.S. and in Canada. Millie

in future news: "A large scale fire broke out on board X this week after a GAS POWERED CURLING IRON ignited a womans hair on fire in her cabin"

This is copied off Celebrity's website:

Prohibited Items

Items with Heating Elements or Open Flames

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. (Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed.)

Like it would stop anybody from bring one....Including ME

You sound like my DW. If all of our luggage was lost, it would be ok as long as she had her curling iron with her. And her mini-curlers. She has one for her carry on bag that she leaves in there at all times. She tried one of those butane ones once and hated it. She has never had an iron cough it up on her, but I would think that you would be able to find one in several ports. Heck, they're not that big, so why not take two?

Hi there

If you read the small print most airlines don't allow gas powered curling irons or the gas cartridge refills on the planes now either in the hold baggage or carry on bags. I always use one at home but have had to buy an electric one to take on foreign trips with me now. Don't know if the US/Canadian airlines allow them but the UK airlines don't. We are travelling over to the US with American Airlines from London and I have checked their website and they don't allow gas cartridge curling tongs on the planes.

Best to check at your end

Sue

Hi there

If you read the small print most airlines don't allow gas powered curling irons or the gas cartridge refills on the planes now either in the hold baggage or carry on bags. I always use one at home but have had to buy an electric one to take on foreign trips with me now. Don't know if the US/Canadian airlines allow them but the UK airlines don't. We are travelling over to the US with American Airlines from London and I have checked their website and they don't allow gas cartridge curling tongs on the planes.

Best to check at your end

Sue

Thanks for the tip. Will make sure to leave cylinder behind before flying out of San Fran in a few weeks. Will see about something else when going on the Equinox. Thanks again. Millie

My electric curlers quit working on a cruise. It was looking like my hair was not going to be a pretty sight! :eek: Luckily, I had my hair straightening iron (can also be used to press pants ;) ) and it saved the week!

I would first straighten a strand of hair and while the hair was still hot, I would wrap the strand on the "dead" roller. Worked just like they were hot! :)

I have 2 sets of electric grooming appliances, one for home and one dual-voltage for traveling. Thanks for that tip about pressing pants with the hair straightener! I never though of that. My tiny dual-voltage travel steamer does a good job but it can't set the creases.

All the cruises we've been on allow curling irons, but you have to get used to using both that and the furnished blow dryer at the dressing table. No place to plug anything in in the the bathroom. (Except a razor). I have two separate irons, one to use w/our plugs & current, and another with the plug and voltage for everywhere in Europe except G.B.

Archived