palapa, snorkel rentals at chankanaab?

jeast

Does anyone know the current rental rates for palapas and snorkel equipment for chankanaab? Or can you rent snorkel equiptment on the ship (how much?).

We are trying to budget for the day. Any help is appreciated!

The ships generally don't rent snorkel equipment, however, there is plenty at Chankanaab. I don't know the price as we've had our own equipment for several years now (and not a bad investment if you like to snorkel when you visit the Caribbean as we do!). I don't recall it being that expensive when we did rent, however. If you're pressed for every dollar, you only really need a mask and snorkel, though you can cover more ground with fins. Just grab a cab for cheap to the park (few bucks). It's some of the best snorkeling you can find right off of a public beach. We also like to go there when we're in Cozumel, and you'll save a bundle compared to the expensive excursions from the cruise line.

There's NO charge for the palapas and loungers at Chankanaab, and they are plentiful. There are several dive shops along the beach at the snorkeling area. I have my own snorkel and mask, but rented fins and vest at $3 each. Was told that all items rent for $3 each.

It's my understanding from reading the Carnival posts that their ships DO now offer snorkels and masks for rent, by the day or week, but I don't have details.

Enjoy Chank! It's a great way to spend the day.:)

We were at Chankanaab a couple of weeks ago and rented our snorkel equiptment for $8. That was mask, snorkel and fins. I don't know about the vests, but depending on your comfort level, you probably won't need one. The high salt content in the water allows your body to just float on the top of the water. You could always try it out and then go get one if you aren't comfortable. I would just hate for you to spend the extra money on something you don't need. I didn't see a single person using a vest unless they were having a group lesson and they were required. One other recommendation, when you are completely done being in the water, visit the restrooms where there are showers. If you don't want to tote along any soap, you can get a little tube of shampoo/body wash for 50 cents. Like I said, the salt content in VERY high and unless you enjoy being a walking salt block for the rest of the day, you may want to wash up. Just a thought!:)

Archived