Amadeus Waterways or Viking for Danube trip??

tarredon

Have any of you traveled on both Amadeus Waterways and Viking, or know enough about them to compare? We are trying to decide between these 2 cruise lines for a 7 night trip from Nuremberg to Budapest in Spring 2009 for our 25th wedding anniversary. I'd love to have more advice from those who know since we have never been on a cruise before.

The Viking sales agent I've spoken to has told me that Viking is a step above Amadeus when it comes to quality of tour guides, service, food, etc. Considering the source, I know not to just blindly believe her, however, Viking is an established line with a LOT of experience, and that recommends itself. BUT the Amadeus boat sounds a bit nicer (it's new, and has French balconies even in Cat C cabins!) and the itinerary on paper sounds the same. The Amadeus website says that wine is included with dinner and that is not specified on the Viking website. The Amadeus cruise we can get for a slightly lower price.

I know that we would likely enjoy either experience, but I'm nervous about making the right decision :confused:-- although I'm hoping that we will get to do more river cruises in the future, this could be the only one and I'd like to do it right!

We'd sure appreciate any experience/insights that more experienced cruisers might have!! Thanks!

Tarredon

One other item I just noticed from someone's review of a different ship is that the location (or deck/water level) of the dining room is something to consider. When I went to the websites to check out the relative water level of the dining rooms on the Viking Europe and the Amacello, I found that the location of the dining room on the Viking Europe appears to be on the 3rd (out of 4) decks from the bottom, but for the Amacello, it is on the 2nd deck (out of 4) from the bottom.

It seems like the view while dining would be nicer from the Viking Europe -- can anyone tell me how big an issue this is from your experience? Thanks!!:)

One other item I just noticed from someone's review of a different ship is that the location (or deck/water level) of the dining room is something to consider. When I went to the websites to check out the relative water level of the dining rooms on the Viking Europe and the Amacello, I found that the location of the dining room on the Viking Europe appears to be on the 3rd (out of 4) decks from the bottom, but for the Amacello, it is on the 2nd deck (out of 4) from the bottom.

It seems like the view while dining would be nicer from the Viking Europe -- can anyone tell me how big an issue this is from your experience? Thanks!!:)

The difference is approximately eight feet - hardly significant. We prefer to be near the stairs on any deck. My experiences with Viking China and Amadeus Europe tip towards Amadeus because of their food on the ship.

WIT

WIT

• 2 weeks later...

We were on Amadeus Amadagio last June for Amsterdam to Budapest. We chose this ship since is was new and had French balconies. It was very nice to open up the slider and get some fresh air, hang over the side and talk to your neighbor. I can't compare the two lines as we have never said Viking. However, I would not hesitate to take Amadeus again. Friendly staff, shore excursions were terrific!

Chesie

• 2 weeks later...

We just completed a Viking Rhine cruise, and had an opportunity to see the Amadagio. The Amadeus line wins hands down, with better food, amenities, rooms, and bathrooms. The ships are decorated with better quality furniture. The food on Viking is not good, repetiive offerings and minimal quality.

Good luck

Paolosmom,

Thank you for the helpful comparison; I am now so glad that we have already booked for the Amadeus Waterways "Legendary Danube" beginning May 3, 2009 (...and it seems so far away ... !!). I'm sorry, though, that you did not have such good food or amenities on your Viking trip. Other than that, was the cruise a good one?

I am really glad I found this Cruise Critic forum; I keep coming back to it again & again as I dream of all the different European river cruises I'd like to go on. :D

Tina

We just completed a Viking Rhine cruise, and had an opportunity to see the Amadagio. The Amadeus line wins hands down, with better food, amenities, rooms, and bathrooms. The ships are decorated with better quality furniture. The food on Viking is not good, repetiive offerings and minimal quality.

Good luck

Which trip were you on and which ship? And since you "had the opportunity to see" the Amadagio, did you sample the food? I would be interested in the comparison.

Thanks.

We just got off the Amadagio on the 20th and it was wonderful. Although it was our first river cruise, we liked it so much we're talking about a Christmas Market cruise with friends in 2009 on the same boat (or at least with the same line).

WIT,

I have a C cabin on the Violin deck which is normally just for A and suite cabins. Is the top deck (3) any better than deck 2?

Mike - Everything is pretty casual on river cruises. Violin Deck cabins are on the same level with the main lounge. Deck 2 is on the same level as the dining room. Violin deck cabins have a slightly better view but it is very easy for anyone to go up to the Main Lounge or the Sun Deck it you want the very best view.

WIT

Which trip were you on and which ship? And since you "had the opportunity to see" the Amadagio, did you sample the food? I would be interested in the comparison.

Thanks.

Yes, and the food ran circles around Viking in both quality and quantity. Viking is really cafeteria type food.

Have a great trip

Archived