We'll stick with RCCL

I now know that booking a voyager class ship for our first cruise spoiled us for anything else! We sailed the celebrity millenium last week, don't get me wrong we had a good time but we felt that the RCCl voyager class was definately more suited to us. It was a litte more "fun" and more physical activities were available. I had heard Celebrity's food and service was a higher notch than RCCL we did not feel this was the case, there was a wider selection and more readily available on RCCL. But hey live and learn, we still had a good time but to RCCL "we'll be back!"

DREAM AS IF YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU'LL DIE TOMORROW

voyager 10/2002

celebrity millenium 3/04

I'm doing a comparison soon.

Celebrity Infinity May 28/04

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=5>

<param name="day" value=28>

<param name="hour" value=12>

</applet>

Serenade of the Seas (My Big 50)

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=8>

<param name="day" value=8>

<param name="hour" value=12>

</applet>

We have sailed RCCL twice and Carnival three times. IF, the price was the same between an RCI Voyager class and any of the newer Carnival classes I would lean toward RCCL. If Carnival was cheaper I would probably go Carnival.

Both have things that are better than the other, both therefore also have things NOT as good as the other. Most are personal preferences. Frankly, there is very little difference between the two. My opinion.

Al Rosenberg

Adventure of the Seas 14 November 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2004;11;14;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Radiance of the Seas 03/04

Navigator of the Seas 10/03

Carnival Pride 03/03

Norwegian Sun 10/02

Dawn Princess 03/02

Sensation 09/01

Carnival Destiny 03/01

I didnt care for the Millie either... But the Galaxy has been my favorite ship. Everything about it, service, food and entertainment.

Lets Go!

Royal's Viking Seranade 1/94

Carnival, Holiday 12/95

Carnival, Jubilee 12/96

Royal's, Song of America 11/98

Celebrity Galaxy 9/99

Royal's, Viking Seranade 6/00

Celebrity, Millennium 12/00

Royal's Vision 2/02

Royal's Vision 12/02

Royal's Monarch 6/03

Navigator of the Seas 12/2004

I also feel spoiled by RCCL. Can't wait to get back onboard RCCL cruise ship!! icon_biggrin.gif

Lori

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;10;31;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until our Oct 31st, 2004 Vision of the Seas Mexican Riveria Girl's Cruise!!

Voyager of the Seas (Jan 2004)

Sovereign of the Seas (Feb 2003)

I have friends who have switched to Celebrity ships, because they liked the ambience better. But after being on a Voyager-class ship, we are planning to go on one of the Ultra-Voyager cruises. I am hoping we can get enough C&A points beforehand, so we can have expedited embarkment for that cruise. So I don't plan to use other cruiselines for a while. But, if someone offered us a free cruise, I think that would be just fine, on any line.

Adventure of the Seas 9/21/03 - wish I was still there!!!

We too like RCCL better. Wanted to go on Voyager class in summer of 02, but took Pride instead (price was a litter better, brand new ship, etc.) We enjoyed it, but something was lacking (personality of crew, food was better on RCCL, just general atmosphere). The ship was beautiful, room (balcony) was the best on any ship) etc. We did sail last summer on Carnival Imagination (price and fit into itinerary). I'm glad I did, I enjoyed the Imagaination better than the Pride. But still, we are back to RCCL - August sailing on the Mariner and can't wait! (Finally get to go on the Voyager class)

Having been on both cruiselines, I prefer Carnival, although I wouldn't refuse a RCCL cruise. They both have their high and low points. This is my personal opinion, and your's may be different, however, this is how I would grade them:

Ships decor - RCCL

Ships activities - Carnival

Cabin size - Carnival

Cabin appointment/amenities - RCCL

Dining room selection - Carnival

Buffet/self-serve selections - Carnival

Alternative dining (evening) - RCCL

Room service options - RCCL

Entertainment - either

Service - either

I think that pretty much covers most of the categories. If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Beverly

Southward 1988, Britannis 1994, Dolphin IV 1995, Star Princess (old version) 1996, Sea Princess 1999, Seabreeze 1999, Rembrandt 2000, Destiny 2000, Seabreeze 2000, Triumph 2000, Norwegian Majesty 2001, Destiny 2001, Sensation 2002, Victory 2002, Destiny 2003, Vision of the Seas 2003, Triumph 2003, Voyager of the Seas 2004,

I have done 6 each on RCI and Carnival. I like them both. Which do I prefer? It is close, but for me it is Carnival. Before you write my opinion off as some crazy kid, I also love Holland America and Windstar. I did not care for Celebrity. Which will you prefer? You are in for some fun finding out.

I think bthorn is right on with her assessment of the comparison.

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

I am so glad to see you guys comparing RCI and Carnival. I've just booked the Carnival Valor for 1/23/05. You get so many people who sailed Carnival many years ago telling you not to do it, that its a dump, service is terrible, etc. I just can't believe that, but a little bit of what they say sticks in your head. My logical part of the brain said give it a chance, you need first hand experience, not info from people who cruised 'em 10 years ago. We like Carnival, Princess and just about anything else we've cruised on. They are each different, but each offer a good product - at least that's the way we feel. The only one I really didn't care for was an old NCL cruise on the Westward. I considered the NCL Sun, but decided on the Valor. Thanks for your comparisons!

By the way, hubby just applied for a personal vacation planner with Carnival - send prayers or good thoughts if you can! Thanks!

Deb in South Florida

Carnival Valor 01/23/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;01;22;13;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Mariner of the Seas 3/14/04

Golden Princess 01/25/03

Voyager of the Seas 12/01

Majesty of the Seas 11/00

Carnival's Ecstasy 12/99

Carnival's Paradise 11/98

NCL Westward 9/93

MS Dolphin 9/92

Sky Princess 4/91

Regent Sun 4/90

Whic Carnival ship if I have only cruised RCI?

My daughter and I are "spoiled" with all of the activities on the Voyager class ships, but I am interested in trying something different, a little cheaper with hopes of better food in the dining room than on our Voyager cruise last month. One of my friends who has sailed on RCI,Princess and Carnival multiple times thought that Carnival was a lot more fun, but she does not have preteen age children like I do.She did say Princess was the most formal of the three. Any suggestions for a good fit for us on a Carnival 7 day type cruise?

Having cruised RCCL, Carnival, and NCL in the past year, I can honestly say, there is no bad cruise. Every line has it's ups and downs. In the past I would have picked RCCL over Carnival, but I changed my opinion after my recent Navigator cruise.

Navigator was a great cruise, but I prefer a mid-size ship. RCCL has gone done in service and food in recent years. I was in a Grand Suite on the Navigator and we had to beg for ice every night. Friends of ours were also in a Grand Suite and they had to beg for pools towels, glasses, and ice. Very disappointing for the amount of money that was spent on these suites.

The food on RCCL has REALLY declined in recent years. The food on Carnival has really improved. The Ranch steak on RCCL is a joke!

Having said all this, I will probably cruise RCCL again, not for awhile though. My next three cruises are booked on Carnival, Holland America, and then NCL. The fact that RCCL has really gone up in price was a determining factor also. To book the exact same cruise, the exact same week on the Navigator from 2004 to 2005 is $1200 more.

Happy Cruising!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;05;06;5;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Days To Go Until The Sensation!

One of the reasons we picked Carnvial Valor, which will be brand new in December is because of the food having improved, the many food options, the numerous activities and of course the price. A balcony guarantee is only $1640, while the least expensive Royal Caribbean I could find was around $1950, Princess was in the same price range. We like them all, but are willing to try Carnival's new ships especially for the price difference. If you check out the Carnival Boards you'll be able to learn more about Camp Carnival.

Deb in South Florida

Carnival Valor 01/23/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;01;22;13;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Mariner of the Seas 3/14/04

Golden Princess 01/25/03

Voyager of the Seas 12/01

Majesty of the Seas 11/00

Carnival's Ecstasy 12/99

Carnival's Paradise 11/98

NCL Westward 9/93

MS Dolphin 9/92

Sky Princess 4/91

Regent Sun 4/90

If carnival is changing there pool area, so that it does not look like a playground, or water park, I would consider. there swimming pools with those big walls around them are not inviting to me. Like the pools you buy at sears for your back yard. icon_rolleyes.gif And water slides. I need to look at the web sight to see if they are changing. icon_confused.gif I have only been on the holiday and jubilee.

Lets Go!

Royal's Viking Seranade 1/94

Carnival, Holiday 12/95

Carnival, Jubilee 12/96

Royal's, Song of America 11/98

Celebrity Galaxy 9/99

Royal's, Viking Seranade 6/00

Celebrity, Millennium 12/00

Royal's Vision 2/02

Royal's Vision 12/02

Royal's Monarch 6/03

Navigator of the Seas 12/2004

I liked the state rooms on Carnival better but I feel the ship layout is tough. To get to some spots you have to go up or down then across. Sound confusing? It was. I thought the food was comparable. Carnival had more late night adult comedy shows which I liked. We have cruised RCCL 6 times and Carnival 3. Over all we prefer RCCL. The last Carnival ship we went on was the Miracle.

We have 2 teens and have been on 9 cruises. Six on Carnival, one NCL, one Celebrity, and back to Carnival last summer.

We were really disappointed on the Carnival Paradise last year. On the 2nd day, my 15 year old said "Mom, no more Carnival. I love Celebrity." and we all agreed. The food was just ok and the service seemed to be poor throughout the ship. We still had a good time, but we felt like Carnival had really slipped over the years. If that had been our first cruise, I doubt that we would have become addicted to cruising.

Unfortunately Celebrity didn't have anywhere we wanted to go this summer, so we're going on RCCL Legend. It worries me to hear people say that the food is getting worse on RCCL and improving on Carnival. I hope we won't be disappointed. The quality of food, the dining service, and the itinerary are the most important things to us.

The difference between RCI and Carnival¿

Royal Caribbean = Crystal and Brass

Carnival = Neon and Plexiglass.

No need to say more.

Nordic Empress 10/91

Nordic Empress 06/96

Carnival Sensation 06/2002 (Statuatory Suicide)

Enchantment of the Seas 06/2003

Explorer of the Seas 05/16/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;5;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

05/16/2004 Explorer COUNTDOWN

Archived