Superbowl 09 in Florida???

I read on another board that the superbowl will be held in Tampa (feb 1 09) Has anyone else heard this? I'm cruising that same day. If its true how will it effect getting a hotel and the price of airfare.I'm sure all the hotels will jack up the price too.

Good luck! Better reserve a room and air now, and expect to pay a premium.. Seriously, you might want to consider changing to a different sailing if possible. Tampa does not have a large number of hotel rooms. Most are in the Westshore area which is near the stadium, those will be overpriced and/or hard to get. There are precious few in the downtown area where the port is. There are some in north Tampa near USF/Busch Gardens. Those are your typical, pay-by-the-hour places with blood stained carpets. You might have some luck getting a room on the beaches but those are 30 miles or more from the port so you will have to arrange ground transportation..

Don't know about Tampa we came back to FLL last year with SB in Miami air flights were 50% more on Monday hotels were of the charts I think a Best Western was 350 a night. The airport was a circus will never do that again. Again that was FLL not sure how Tampa would be.

It is not just air and hotel that is changed due to the superbowl it is the whole town. I lived in Jacksonville when they had the superbowl. Traffic near downtown was insane. Parts of downtown were inaccessible by car. Restaurants were packed with long waits. Golf course green fees tripled and were difficult get a tee time. I know because my own country club was so booked up I couldn't play the entire week. Superbowl is a good economic event to have in your city, but its best to get out town so you do not have to feel the effects. Where would you go, I don't know how about a cruise. Just leave out of a different city.

I don't think you'll have much of a problem if you're on the Valor out of Miami. If you were going out of Tampa, then it would be a real cluster. Like RNCHHC, we came back into FLL last year on Super Bowl Sunday and it was a mess. Then there was the rain which had all the flights delayed. We just wanted to get the heck out of Dodge!

Check your flights and hotel rates. It wouldn't be a bad idea at all to get them booked if there's a chance they'll go sky high, even in Miami. Also check flights into FLL, as it's often cheaper to fly into there than Miami. Hope this helps!

The hotels will be a lot higher. The last time the Super Bowl was in Tampa all the hotels in Tampa were full as well as the surrounding area, Clearwater, St. Petersburg, Brandon, Sun City City, etc. People stayed as far away as Orlando. Hotels have been added in recent years but not enough.

If you insist on sailing during Super Bowl book early and look for a hotel outside of Tampa such as Sarasota/Bradenton. Rent a car and go for it. It will probably still be cheaper in the long run.

Good luck!

I read on another board that the superbowl will be held in Tampa (feb 1 09) Has anyone else heard this? I'm cruising that same day. If its true how will it effect getting a hotel and the price of airfare.I'm sure all the hotels will jack up the price too.

Valor is out of Miami and the Super Bowl is in Tampa, I don't see why you should have a problem.

People will stay in Tampa and Orlando for the game. Tampa is close to 4 hours away from Miami. Have fun on your cruise.

Thanks for the replies. I havnt booked a flight yet but will fly into fll it is much cheaper. I was just worried about getting a flight and prices. I didn't no how far fll was from tampa. Sounds like a good distance so I will hope for the best.

• 1 month later...

Will be cruising on Carnival Legend on Feb.1. Had no idea the Superbowl was that same day. I figured it out when I started attempting to book hotel rooms for Jan.31. All were sold out, or so I was told. There are 32 of us coming from Santa Rosa Beach Fl. We have booked rooms in Ocala for the night. It will only be 11/2 hr. drive:)to Tampa. I'm hoping that there will not be a problem with parking at the port...:confused:

Not only will it be Superbowl weekend it is also Gasparilla pirate festival the same weekend. Not the weekend you want to be traveling through Tampa. trust m,e on that one. The gasparilla festival attracts 500,000 alone.

Not only will it be Superbowl weekend it is also Gasparilla pirate festival the same weekend. Not the weekend you want to be traveling through Tampa. trust m,e on that one. The gasparilla festival attracts 500,000 alone.

Luckily, I have a late flight and can leave early for the airport! I feel for the people that have really early flights home.

The answer is yes to all of your questions. With Gasparilla the same weekend in 2001 it will be a complete nightmare!!! It took 2 hours to go 1 mile on the main surface streets and forget using your cellphone. Needless to say, there were many upset people.

Thanks for the replies. I havnt booked a flight yet but will fly into fll it is much cheaper. I was just worried about getting a flight and prices. I didn't no how far fll was from tampa. Sounds like a good distance so I will hope for the best.

Try to book early as it is high season in Miami, and prices tend to go up as the date approaches.

My wife and I sailed out of Miami 2 years ago the day of Superbowl. Other than paying 260.00 for a hotel in Jupiter it was a non event.

Flew into Orlando, rented a car, drove to Jupiter, stayed there overnight, then drove to Miami the next morning. No traffic to speak of, we were on board by noon.

Have a great trip!

Super Bowl is February 1st, 2009 in Tampa

and the next one is the first Sunday of February, 2010 in Miami.

(after that the next two are Dallas and Indianapolis)

Having been to Super Bowls in Atlanta (twice), Jacksonville and Tampa I'd have to say, if you absolutely don't have to sail that week (or even the weekend before) DON'T.

Any hotels anywhere near the Super Bowl activities will be booked already.

(I always book at least a year in advance, the day they open my dates for booking)

The NFL usually reserves the 4 biggest hotels near the events completely for the entire week before until the day after the game.

(1 for NFL officials, dignitaries,etc... 1 for the media hotel and 1 hotel each for each team in the game)

The festiviites in town are usually busy the entire Friday, Saturday and Sunday the week before the game for the NFL Experience and celebrity golf tournaments, etc...

Then Monday and Tuesday are a little slower, then Wednesday through Sunday the town will be jam packed and there will be street closures etc... anywhere near the stadium and NFL Experience and the hundreds of events, concerts on those days.

Maybe try to sail from Port Canaveral that weekend if you have to sail on those dates.

Bill

Try flying into either of the Orlando airports.

They are only an hour or so away from Tampa.

Not like a 4 hour drive like from Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

Bill

Will be cruising on Carnival Legend on Feb.1. Had no idea the Superbowl was that same day. I figured it out when I started attempting to book hotel rooms for Jan.31. All were sold out, or so I was told. There are 32 of us coming from Santa Rosa Beach Fl. We have booked rooms in Ocala for the night. It will only be 11/2 hr. drive:)to Tampa. I'm hoping that there will not be a problem with parking at the port...:confused:

Why don't you looking to a hotel a little closer, traffic WILL be insane. In Lutz there is a Resisdence Inn right off the Suncoast PKY I just tried to get a price on a room I guess it's to far out. The hotel is about 30 mins from the port on a good day I would give yourself as lest and hour and a half tho for Superbowl weekend. Or maybe find something on 75 if you are takeing that down maybe Wesley Chaple area.

Good luck! Better reserve a room and air now, and expect to pay a premium.. Seriously, you might want to consider changing to a different sailing if possible. Tampa does not have a large number of hotel rooms. Most are in the Westshore area which is near the stadium, those will be overpriced and/or hard to get. There are precious few in the downtown area where the port is. There are some in north Tampa near USF/Busch Gardens. Those are your typical, pay-by-the-hour places with blood stained carpets. You might have some luck getting a room on the beaches but those are 30 miles or more from the port so you will have to arrange ground transportation..

The traffic will be terrible anywhere near Tampa!!!

I live in Tampa, and it's my understanding that all hotel rooms here are already booked. So, for those of you sailing out that weekend, I'd book in Orlando and leave very very very early in the morning to get to the port.

She never said Valor.

Archived