Theme Night Questions

dawnprincess

I read on some other reviews about the Ascot Ball and also a mention of the Captain's Black and White Ball. Can someone fill me in please. We are booked for an 8 day Mariner's Caribbean Cruise on the Queen Mary 2 on March 25, 2005. Does anyone know if these two balls are held only on Transatlantic crossings or would also take place on a Caribbean sailing? Are both on formal nights? Are you expected to wear Black & White at the Black & White Ball? Do many women bring their own hats for the Ascot Ball? Are there many men in Top Hats? Thanks for your help!!

Hello dawnprincess,

I am booked for the November 6th 10 day Caribbean cruise on QM2. In the very nice "Voyage Information" booklet that I received a couple of weeks ago, it lists the Captain's Gala Ball(Formal, Black and White Attire) and the Pirate Ball(Informal, Pirate Costume Optional) as being the two theme nights aboard the ship. For a shorter cruise, I do not know what they would offer, but my guess would be both of these could be scheduled.

Yes, on the night of the Black and White Ball, wearing those colors are what most will be wearing.

(I wonder how airport security would react if I was wearing a Pirates Costume when I flew to New York?):D

Thanks RKA Cruiser! At least I'll get some info in my Voyage Info booklet when it arrives. It just helps me plan my gowns -- I have a black & white but might look for another. I'm really hoping they still do that Ascot Ball because it looks like such fun. I hear that they will sell Pirate accessories on board. Make sure you leave your pirate sword at home or there MAY be trouble boarding the plane! :D

Enjoy your cruise, and thanks again!

On our july 5th crossing I would say that only a few women wore hats that they brought from home and even fewer men wore hats at all for the astor ball.

Again for the black and white ball (as for most formal nights) black was the most noticable color. There were a few women who were well prepared in black and white gowns and they looked great. You won't feel at all out of place in any color that you choose to wear. Have fun.

On our caribbean cruise, the Ascot Ball was held on the Black and White formal night. It wasn't a different dress-up night, but a themed party after dinner.

As for the hats, there was a hat-making party early in the afternoon, and the supplies were provided. It was so much fun to make hats, and then to wear them that night. Sure, they looked homemade, but that was the fun. A few men even made top hats to wear. Some people got very creative with their hats. There was a contest for the best hat that evening at the Ascot Ball. I would definitely participate in that, to get the full experience of the event.

On the Pirate Ball, you're right, the ship does sell accessories. For about $10 or $15, they give you a pirate hat and eye patch. Again, this is an event after dinner, so don't go to dinner dressed as a pirate! The event starts at 10pm, so you have time to go back to your cabin and get dressed as a pirate. If it's listed as informal, then wear to dinner what you would normally wear on an informal night. Lots of people brought their own costumes and really got into the spirit of the event, so don't be shy about bringing your own stuff. Again, they have a costume contest for this night.

Have fun!

Anne,

Ha, Ha, Ha!:D :D

But, I don't think I would ever make it through Dayton's security! Several weeks ago, some character tried(although not in a pirate's costume) and after the security people wrestled him to the floor, he got to visit the Montgomery County Jail.

Have a wonderful voyage on Queen Mary 2!

Bob

Archived