calling cards from inside the cabin

weirdfishes

I am planning for a cruise and I was wondering if you can use a calling card from the phones in the rooms. I will be traveling with Princess cruise lines. Thanks!

Nope, if you use the phones in the room it will be billed as a ship-to-shore call at somewhere around $7/minute:eek:

Charlie

I am planning for a cruise and I was wondering if you can use a calling card from the phones in the rooms. I will be traveling with Princess cruise lines. Thanks!

Welcome to CC! The previous poster is correct. Don't call from the ship if you don't have to. It is crazy what they charge.

You didn't say where you are cruising. If you are doing Carib, you want to buy a calling card at the individual port you are calling from. No US cards work on the islands. ANd every island has their own card. Just ask you room steward or waiters where to purchase the card and where the quietest phones are to call home on the isl.

If you have to make a lot of calls or are doing other countries in Europe, Med, etc. you might look into mobal.com . Is becoming very popular for people that will be away for longer periods. I have heard nothing but good things about the service.

I was wondering the same thing. I use verizon and to rent a phone from them is $11.95 per day and Mobal is $9 per day. I trust verizon, but if mobal is just as good but cheaper? If I will be gone a total of 20 days, between being in the Mediterranean and the transatlantic cruise, is it worth it? I have elderly parents and 18 year old and 21 year old kids. I would want them to be able to call me.

I was wondering the same thing. I use verizon and to rent a phone from them is $11.95 per day and Mobal is $9 per day. I trust verizon' date=' but if mobal is just as good but cheaper? If I will be gone a total of 20 days, between being in the Mediterranean and the transatlantic cruise, is it worth it? I have elderly parents and 18 year old and 21 year old kids. I would want them to be able to call me.

BUY the $99.00 Mobal phone. Works most everyplace in the world (including in the middle of the Mekong River-"good morning, Vietnam"). And you ALWAYS have an international phone. Just put it in your suitcase. Next trip, get it out, charge it up and you are good to go. No need to rent. Not the cheapest per minute, but with NO monthly charges and a phone you can use almost everyplace, I think it is almost an unbeatable deal. I have two Mobal phones, as well as an Iridium satellite phone. The sat phone is now cheaper per minute, but there is a monthly charge. I am sold on Mobal.

i but the trac phones from walmart or k-mart for el cheapo! they have a flip fone now for $14.95...sometimes they come with 60 minutes. in fact..on st thomas a few yrs ago i called mom is st louis to check on our dog, when i got my verizon bill for my cell they had an $30 roaming charge. it didnt have roaming on the screen like it usually does, i called and ripped them a new one. the guy was gonna remove it i told him forget it. i canceled verizona nd went to walmart for a tracfone until i figured out which cell company i would use next...i still use trac-fone. have 2 of them. i got one to take on a trip and then after i used the minutes, i planned on tossing it..why do that? i still have both, i re-new them as needed and i can call all over. i called mom from st thomas last year, they just subtract extra minutes. no bills either. i like that fine. i couldnt even tell how many minutes they subtracted it wasnt very many for a 10 min call. dont know if they work all over, one did not at playa del carmen a few yrs ago, i was at a resort but it was in an area that had nothing. i shoulda tried in town.. i go to vegas, calif, and florida too and it works just fine.. love the trac fone. cindy

i but the trac phones from walmart or k-mart for el cheapo! they have a flip fone now for $14.95...sometimes they come with 60 minutes. in fact..on st thomas a few yrs ago i called mom is st louis to check on our dog, when i got my verizon bill for my cell they had an $30 roaming charge. it didnt have roaming on the screen like it usually does, i called and ripped them a new one. the guy was gonna remove it i told him forget it. i canceled verizona nd went to walmart for a tracfone until i figured out which cell company i would use next...i still use trac-fone. have 2 of them. i got one to take on a trip and then after i used the minutes, i planned on tossing it..why do that? i still have both, i re-new them as needed and i can call all over. i called mom from st thomas last year, they just subtract extra minutes. no bills either. i like that fine. i couldnt even tell how many minutes they subtracted it wasnt very many for a 10 min call. dont know if they work all over, one did not at playa del carmen a few yrs ago, i was at a resort but it was in an area that had nothing. i shoulda tried in town.. i go to vegas, calif, and florida too and it works just fine.. love the trac fone. cindy

How do you use a tracfone out of the states? I thought you can't use it on calls placed from out of the country.

How do you use a tracfone out of the states? I thought you can't use it on calls placed from out of the country.

She used TracPhone in St. Thomas, USVI. (United States Virgin Islands).

It is a protectorate of the US. Uses our currency and has a non-voting representative (currently Donna Christian-Christensen) in the US House of Representative.

When we have used our Sprint service in St. Thomas it's been the same as right here in Ohio. No roaming, no service charge.

Charlie

Archived