Formal wear

seaworthy1

I know this subject has been worn out..... however, my situation is this...We booked the Mercury 14 day LA/LA 4/27/09 Alaskan cruise this morning, I see there is no dinner buffet and there are 3 formal nights. We've cruised 5 times, 3 on Rennaissance, 1 each RCCL and NCL, I will not wear a Tux, or a suit( I know for some cruisers dressing in their finery is an important part of their vacation, it is not for me), so my question is what are my options?

There is alternate casual dining offered offered by the buffet area. It has a limited menu that is not the same as the dining room. It is table service and there are two or three menus that alternate each day. In the buffet/grill area, there is also a sushi bar, a pizza station, and a pasta and salad station. The grill for burgers & hotdogs is open until 7 or 8 each night.

You can also order room service from the dining room menu while the dining room is open.

Realize that the dress code for the evening is not just for the dining room but throughout the ship except for the casual dining boulevard (buffet area on pool deck). Celebrity has three dress codes - casual, informal (men must wear jackets), and formal. Celebrity is sporadic in enforcing the dress code. I personally have seen someone turned away from the show on a formal night because they were not in formal dress.

Click on the thumbnail below for the dress code scanned from the dailyl

747574298_dresscodes.jpg.806cfc25bc669c156e5b479ebafe6d70.jpg

I don't think dressing for dinner indicates stuffiness but Celebrity is known as a more formal cruise line with a vast majority of the passengers following the dress codes and a number of gentleman wearing tuxes or dark suits. If it's your choice to cruise in casual style, there are many choices for you such as NCL, Azamara and Oceania. On those lines the code is country club casual all the time. It's great to have choices in cruising and there are a number of cruises and itineraries that cater to those who want to be casual. For those who do, Celebrity isn't one of those all casual all the time lines, but it's certainly not stuffy by any means.

I was told last week by a Celebrity person in their cruise planning dept that while the written words in the daily blurbs say 'throughout the ship' on a Formal night my wife and I would be fine anywhere-including the Main Dining Room in sports jacket and tie and my wife could wear a nice blouse and skirt or a pant suit--ie "Informal" as one step up from "Casual"--She said "we don't require a dark suit or a cocktail dress" on Formal nights

I think the fellow turned away from the show on Formal night was in jeans shorts?

We booked the Solstice for 09--and I'm all for casual normally--gg

I was on the Mercury for 10 days Nov/07 from LA to SD (wine cruise). Formal nights you saw everything. No jeans, mind you, but there were a lot of passengers not really dressed up. Some men had pants, shirt, tie and no jacket. They looked fine.

Archived