To spend $ or not to spend $....

wolfcel

Since this is my first NCL cruise, (we will be on the Spirit), is it worth the extra money to try a speciality restaurant? There are 4 of us so it would be about $100.

If it IS worth the extra money, which restaurant would you recommend? and which would you stay away from.

or is it just better to eat in Windows. Please, any and all info is greatly welcome.

Thanks in advance! :)

Part of it is your preference. Cagneys offers great steak type dishes. They of course also have Le Bistro and the Japanese. I think all are good. Lots of people never do any of them. We have had both great and not so great in Cagneys, and LeBistro.

Here are some other great FAQs for NCL travelers. Click here

I've always found the option of the specialty restaurants nice, but certainly not mandatory to have good food. If you'd like to treat yourself then I'd say it would be worth it to you personally, and that's all that matters. Also, I don't know how old your children are and they may just be fine with someting simple and not want to sit through a nice dinner in a cozy atmosphere. If that's the case and they're happy and find the kids club fun, maybe it's something you and your spouse might want to do alone for a treat.

I haven't been on the Spirit but I'm sure you'll find the recommendations you're looking for. Keep in mind that on the same exact sailing one might say one restaurant was fantastic and the other not worth the money, and the next person can come on and say the opposite. It's all a matter of personal taste.:)

wolfcel -

Be sure to read the Dailies for any half-price offers they may have during your cruise. That may make your decision a little easier. We are usually very happy with the main dining room or the buffet.

It all depends if you appreciate fine dining. The food in the main dining room is great for most people, but the experience in the specialty restaurant is a cut above in food quality and service.

Personally, I try to eat there at least once during the cruise.

We are planning to dine at Il Adagio (Italian), Ginza (for the Sushi bar; the SO may or may not join me) and Le Bistro (French) on the Sun. We might skip East Meets West (Steakhouse) because we plan to hit steak places in Vancouver pre and post cruise, and the reviews I have read here are mixed. If we really like one or the other, I am sure we will go back a second time, especially if NCL offers and half-price reservation slots. With all the food available, it matters very little to us if we have a sit down dinner at 5:30 or 9:30.

I have no problem paying the upcharge since I understood and budgeted this cost in when I was reseraching and chose to cruise Freestyle with NCL. Also, when we dine out at home, we RARELY do anything fancy; not that the specialty restaurants are 5* Star establishments, but I am sure they are a step above the typical $12-18 per entree places we patronize at home. And having a $75 OBC credit helps the decision as well.

As for the other 3 or 4 nights, the main dining room will be just fine.

Just completed the 3/23 - 3/30 Spirit out of NO. First, review the menus to see if you have a consensus. We ate in each of the Specialty Restaurants. A bit disappointed with my Ribeye at Cagney's but my wife's Filet was excellent. The atmosphere and service at Le Bistro is tops. We also enjoyed Shogun and La Tratorria so again, the menu should be the driving factor.

As has been mentioned, check for the two for one dinners. I would try one specialty dining experience and my choice if you are doing only one would always be Le Bistro. NCL was the pioneer of alternative dining and Le Bistro was the original one over 10 years ago.

Nita

I know I probably spelled it wrong, but we always enjoy this restaurant. It's also something the kids would enjoy with the chef cooking in front of you. We've always found the food very good and enjoyed the "show".

If you have this type of restaurant near your home and/or go to one often, then I would vote for Le Bistro as an alternative. If not, then Tepannaki mades for a special dinner out that's a little different.

Enjoy whatever you decide!

did the spirit in december, we only did la trattoria...no surcharge, but need reservations. we can, easily, do a cruise with no surcharge dining.

on the spirit, the other main dining room is the gardens..same menu as the windows.

the buffet has actions stations...carved meats, made to order: pasta, ceasar salads, dessert crepes and ice cream station...at night. very good for those nights when you don't want to sit through 4 to 5 courses in the main dining.

i would check out the specilities menus and compare them to the main dining rooms..before deciding. you can do that at the reservations desk on the ship.

it could be more the $100, cagney's regular menus, yes...but if anyone orders surf & turf, lobster or porterhouse (larger cuts of steak) is could be more. the same with le bistro...most items are one price, but they do have items that are more.

Archived