Sushi on Caribbean Princess

e050377

My husband just asked if they have a sushi bar or any sushi on the Caribbean Princess. I searched for the answer but couldn't find it. Anyone know?? Thanks.

If I remember correctly, they offer sushi in the Horizon Court buffet on certain afternoons. On the Crown, Emerald, and I'm sure the future Ruby, Vines has its own sushi chef who will prepare fresh items for you to order...and it's fabulous!

My husband just asked if they have a sushi bar or any sushi on the Caribbean Princess. I searched for the answer but couldn't find it. Anyone know?? Thanks.

they have it a couple days during the week in the Horizon Court/Cafe Caribe for lunch.

I wouldn't rate it very highly.

Bill

On the first and second day, there were temporary tables outside of the Horizon café next to the pool. Two Sushi chefs were taking care of the pax. Past the second day, I did not pay attention to sushi, since any fish would have to be either three days old or frozen.

It is a shame that Princess doesn't have the daily sushi bar that Carnival does on their ships. The wife and I would get ready for dinner early and drop by the Sushi bar for appetizers at about 5:30pm with a cocktail and then stroll over to the late dinner seating.

they have it a couple days during the week in the Horizon Court/Cafe Caribe for lunch.

I wouldn't rate it very highly.

Bill

If you are used to good sushi at home, you will be disappointed.:( It is not bad; but about what one would pick up at the supermarket.

Mike:)

It is a shame that Princess doesn't have the daily sushi bar that Carnival does on their ships....

Cruise ships load supplies for seven day cruise the morning of embarkation and are not restocked during the cruise. The only exception I know of is fresh salmon being brought on board Alaskan cruises. Sushi rice, wrappers and fish are at least a day old when it’s delivered to the ship the first morning. By the third day, the fish is either aged or has been frozen; both conditions make for inferior sushi.

Cruise ships load supplies for seven day cruise the morning of embarkation and are not restocked during the cruise. The only exception I know of is fresh salmon being brought on board Alaskan cruises. Sushi rice, wrappers and fish are at least a day old when it’s delivered to the ship the first morning. By the third day, the fish is either aged or has been frozen; both conditions make for inferior sushi.

Unfortunately the fact is that most sushi restaurants use frozen fish because most are flash frozen on the ship they are caught on. I don't expect world class sushi, but just to have the enjoyment of pretty good sushi. Most frozen fish is going to be fresher then "fresh" fish unless you live within a few miles of the pier that they are being caught from because as you said delivery takes time. The rice preparation is really the make or break situation when it comes to the majority of sushi (Yes bad fish absolutely ruins it.)

Unfortunately the fact is that most sushi restaurants use frozen fish because most are flash frozen on the ship they are caught on. I don't expect world class sushi, but just to have the enjoyment of pretty good sushi. Most frozen fish is going to be fresher then "fresh" fish unless you live within a few miles of the pier that they are being caught from because as you said delivery takes time. The rice preparation is really the make or break situation when it comes to the majority of sushi (Yes bad fish absolutely ruins it.)

You are absolutely correct!!! Every sushi restaurant (at least in our state and presumably everywhere else) is required to serve only flash frozen fish. This is to kill the parasites and avoid risk of bad fish. The flash frozen fish would be the same, if not better, quality than any restaurant that you might have visited. Rice and presentation are absolutely the key...as a matter of fact the word "sushi" does not even refer to the fish, but rather means "flavored or vinegared rice"

Archived