It is not too bad on board but you have to be real quick! The first cruise we went on, we went the second day to the shop to get some Newports and they were sold out...and it was only the second day!!!! They only had Newport lights...which my husband did not appreciate too much! St. Thomas has them cheap though.

I smoke - and saw the cig deals in the shops on the ship - but didn't buy any - I wondered - what does US customs do when you bring them back? I've never declared anything but trinkets and t-shirts coming back from several trips to Caribbean - but was under the impression that it's hit or miss on whether the Customs agent you come across will let you keep them or not - or make you pay duty on them.

We got 5 Cartons of Marlboro Lts for 83 bucks on the Grandeur (Duty Free shop) last month. It was comparable to what we found in ports.

my dh got 5 cartons for like $75 a few years back on RC. you are allowed one carton duty free for each adult. since he honestly was sharing the 5 cartons with his sister (also on the cruise) we did not have to pay duty. (customs officer let us slide for the one we were over between the four adults). if I recall correctly we were told the duty would have been about $8-$10. last cruise--no cigarettes--he quit!!!

BTW, be sure you take enough matches or a lighter. When I sailed RCI last summer, there were NO matches or lighters on board for sale. Fire hazard or some such. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

A few months ago, Princess was $24 for Marlboro lights. I bought some on the islands for $19. They had matches and lighters available.

Now that TSA softened their approach on taking lighters that has at least helped on the lighter issue.

Be careful when purchasing those 10.00 cartons of cigs in the islands. Make sure they are "Class A"... Many times, those cheap cigs are not, but are made for a different market.

I made that error in St. Maarten, lured by Marlboro's at 10.00 only to find they tasted liked rolled straw with a sharp draw. When checking the package....they were "Class C"........which accounts for the awful taste.

I buy the specials aboard. 5 cartons for 75.00 for kings and usually 100's at 2/38.00 or so.

Buy the way, I load up on cigs. Where I live, a carton is 62.87 including tax. Even if customs required me to pay taxes on my overage, I'd still be ahead of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend that bought 3 cartons of cigs on the Princess ship going to Alaska. She was not allowed to take them to her cabin on ship. They held them until last night on board and then delivered to her cabin. She bought cigs on RC and was allowed to have them and take to her cabin. Can anyone explain why on one ship she could and the other not?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone: I have a stupid question more then likely (but it is my first cruise) Are you allowed to take cigarettes on board when you check in our will they take them from you? I don't want to have them and then they take them and keep them till the last night of the cruise. We are sailing on the Glory. Thanks in advance.

Yes you can take your cigs on board. I think the issue is the tax/duty and since you have paid this tax with cigs you bring from home it is not an issue.

The other poster is correct, now on Princess you cannot buy cigs by the carton and take them back to your cabin. They hold them untill the final night. You can buy single packs at the bars but they are not all that much cheaper than what one would pay with the tax/duty. Also Princess, just like liquor, will also not allow you to bring to your cabin carton of cigs you buy on the Islands.

You can bring back duty free one carton per person. Once getting off a Carnival ship the customs people had laptops and were bringing up your on board account and reviewing it. I was sure glad I stuck to the rules and bought only the alloted amount. This was the first time I saw this being done.

Archived