Ship time changes with time zones?

mirrajay

Last Minute Question!

I have never been able to get a straight answer on this one (maybe there isnt a clear cut answer)

I am wondering, once again about ship time vs. time on land. We will be leaving from NYC (EST) and its looking like the ship stays on eastern time all the time even when we go to Syndey and Halifax, which will be an hour ahead. I am watching the Halifax webcam right now and its 6:23 Halifax time and the ship is not leaving (it is scheduled to leave at 6:00). Does this mean it is going to wait until 6:00 EST - which would be 7:00pm Halifax time?

Is that how it usually works - the ship never changes time zones?

We were on the Triumph, and the ship stayed on EST (we sailed from Miami). We were told to make sure and keep our watches on ship time, and ignore port times. I have read that some ships (within Carnival) do change their clocks to match port time. It would be best if you can find someone who has sailed on your ship, and see what happened on their sailing. The time info was printed on the first page of the Caper's for our cruise.

I think the whole time issue was the most confusing thing about cruising (for me). Good luck! :)

The ships stays on the same time. Make sure you remember this when booking your excursions. We were an hour late to one of ours because I didn't realize that the island wasn't on the same time zone we were. They do tell you as you are getting off at the different ports to remember that the ship time will always stay the same so make sure you leave your watch set to that time or you may miss the boat!!

Wow - this might put a damper on some of my plans! So if you take a Carnival sponsored excursion and they give you the time to be ready to leave that would be original ship time? Hmm..we have an excursion that we were told started at 1:30, so if thats EST, then it would be 2:30 Halifax time. I have also posted this in another area in hopes to ask someone who has taken this particular itinerary.

Thanks for the info!

I will have to be sure to ask about this when I get on board (ON SATURDAY!) yay!

It depends on the ship and the port.

On the Triumph last January, ship time did not change until we reached our *second* port, even though the actual time zone in the first port was different than the ship time. :confused: So, in SJU ship time was an hour behind local time, but in SXM and STT, they matched.

What can make it even *more* an issue is if you travel when Daylight Savings Time is in effect. Some ports follow it, most do not.

I have been on ships that *never* changed the clocks, while others changed to match local time. It *will* be announced in a prominent place in the Capers.

Thanks - I keep forgeting about the capers. Sounds like all the "need to know" info is in there. Time to stop stressing and move into vacation mode...

13 hours until I am on the plane officially on my way!

Just got back from a Miami-Long Beach CA cruise thru Panama Canal. We changed time three times. They usually make it very clear and reiterate numerous times to keep the ships time. Sometimes the ships time was same as the port and some times it was not. If you are on a Carnival shore excursion, it will go on ships time. If you are booking tours on your own, that will be a little trickier telling the guide what time you will be there. Have fun.

Archived