35-day Maasdam with 3 young kids???

Robin7

It should be too late to advise the OP to take a different cruise, as final payment time should be past. I wish her luck---she's "gonna" need it. I've taken this cruise enough times to know that it's long---even for adults. There's just not a lot in it for young kids.

And all those tender ports! With a 2-year old! :eek: I don't know that I'd be wanting to try and board a toddler on/off a tender.

What I wanted to say to him/her was "Are you NUTS????" but I refrained. :D I hope that third person in their group is a nanny!

Robin

I think they are, Robin! Nuts, that is. Let's hope it's a nanny. I just can't imagine a 35 day cruise with three children those ages. Maybe on another line with more things for the kids to do, but not on HAL.

Better them than me. :eek:

I suspect not a lot...but that is just me!

Seeing how not a lot of research went into the idea then it is critical that a lot of planning go into before July 2nd!

I have met people that 'home school' their kids at this age and they have developed all manner of things to keep them interested and excited in the world around them and what is happening in that world. Were I you I would get in touch an organization that supports those who 'home school' kids for ideas they may have.

I think you will get huge support from the crew....many of these people have young kids of their own that they do not see for months at a time, so I think they will make friends with the kids quickly and keep them busy and out of trouble.

Buy a whole case of those cheap disposable cameras and teach the kids to use them...not sure you'll be able to get film developed on the ship...but some of the ports are bound to have one hour processing....then the kids can build travel journals using the pictures and writing a little bit about the places they see. This will work for the older kids for sure.

As for the two year old...well she/he will probably just go with the flow! At that age their world on land is smaller than the world on the ship so I don't think that will be a problem.

As for your ship mates....well my guess is that they are either goning to hate you...or...if they have grandkids of their own they might even get a kick out of relating with yours. Remember...on 35 day cruise with such a unique itinerary your ship mates are going to be in the older demographic...and enjoy seeing 'out-of-the-way' places.

It is critical that the kids...especially the older ones....be very well behaved. At that age it's not always that easy but if they aren't your fellow cruisers will start looking for 'plank' and reading, MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY, for the finer details of Fletcher Christian's method of putting the good Captain over the side....only it won't be the crew in the boat...it will be you and the kids!!!

Someone else has said, "You are a better man than I, Gunga Din!", and I could not agree more! You are either incredibly courageous, or...well...incredibly out of touch with reality!

We wish you well on your cruise

This cruise is in July. It can also be booked as a 17 or 18 day one-way transatlantic. There will be other kids on the cruise and there will be Club Hal activities. We had a number of kids on a 17 day July transat with similar ports to these. We did an 18 day transat last spring and there were 7 or 8 kids. Both times from what I observed, the kids seemed to enjoy the cruises. They were also well-behaved.

TCF,

Those are some really good ideas. Could you follow the link in my first post and post them on the OP's thread in the "Ask a Cruise Question" board? Thanks.

(It's not ME taking that cruise, although I wish it was! :D )

Robin

OK Robin I went to the link you posted and told the OP to come here to look at my post...hope it helps them.

Thanks. I didn't know how to do it and have it be under your screen name and not mine.

I just think the kids are likely to be bored. Even though they're marketing themselves as more family-oriented these days, I don't think HAL is very kid-friendly at all. There are so many more things for kids to do on a Carnival or RCI ship. I think the OP is going to have to be really organized about bringing things for their children to do. I do hope they have a great cruise.

My cousin took her eight (yes, eight!) children on a Princess cruise to Alaska, and the three youngest (then 8, 9, and 11) were bored silly on the ship. They drove her CRAZY. They didn't like the kids program so stayed in the stateroom and watched the Cartoon Network and played their handheld games all day. This month they're going on Disney. :D

Robin

WOW! I know adults who can't take a 35-day cruise.

Three kids at these ages on a ship for 35 days! My first thought was WHY do this? Actually, I can't get beyond that question....WHY?????

I really don't understand all the negativity here, unless you're worried about the kids bothering you on the 35-day cruise. This was the parents' idea, and I can't imagine they paid for 6 fares on a 35-day cruise without SOME idea of what they were getting into!

Feonad, are you reading this? The only port of yours I've done research into is Syndey, NS. You can go to the Fortress of Louisberg and have a great day for all three kids. We are also planning a tour to the Miner's Museum, which would probably interest the 8 and 9 year olds at least.

But I traveled a LOT as a child aged 6-12, and I would have been in high heaven at that itinerary even at that age, as long as I had a camera, a pair of binoculars, and a suitcase full of books. Oh, and about $5 per port for souvenirs.

I really don't understand all the negativity here, unless you're worried about the kids bothering you on the 35-day cruise. This was the parents' idea, and I can't imagine they paid for 6 fares on a 35-day cruise without SOME idea of what they were getting into!

I agree with you 100%. When my children were small they travelled many times and all over North America in a motor home and they loved it. By the age of 7 or 8 they probably knew more about North American geography and places of interest than most adults.

I think a lot of the other posters would be surprised what truly interests a child. It does not need to be 'Disney' type entertainment. From my experiences with my children a simple hike was a great way to spend the day. Take the time to really look at things, talk about it, see it from their perspective...an amazing experience for the whole family.

No disrespect to Walt on the 'Disney' type comment above. We have had family vacations there too and the kids loved it. Not just the rides and kid oriented activities but they also loved those activities that tended to offer some sort of knowledge and learning opportunity as to a purely entertainment focus.

Enjoy your cruise with your children, I am sure you and they will love the experience!

Rochelle

It boggles my mind. I do hope one of those adults is a nanny and not a grandparent.

I had a friend who took 3 kids on a car trip from NY to FLorida. At one of the stops, they refused to get back into the car. Granted, there's more room to run around on a ship, but I just think they will be very bored.

YIKES!! I recently completed a 15 Maasdam cruise. There were a total of 2 children (same family). Club HAL was closed the entire voyage. The longer the cruise, the older passenger demographic. Wrong cruise line for this. Suggest back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back Disney. Otherwise, the kids may grow up with anger issues.

If I recall correctly, in 2004 or 2005, there was a family from Spain on the world cruise with their children.

A few years back, I was watching a show where a family took their children out of school for a year and travel the world. By the end of the trip, these kids had gain so much from going to different countries and learning about others

I agree with someone else, if the kids are homeschool or use to doing alot of traveling they can adjust.

I think that if the parents can afford it, and make it an adventure, this is something that they will recall for the rest of their life.

Happy sailing!!

Second time around and my 40th birthday cruise on the

MAASDAM!!

10/24/08-11/07/08

Archived