Haleakala Sunrise

upfee

It is awesome and well worth it. I am not an early riser by any means. Heck, I just got back a week & 1/2 ago and I'm having more trouble adjusting now than when we got to Hawaii. We live in Pennsylvania. Of course we're getting ready to turn the clocks back this weekend, which will help.

Anyway, my husband and my dad had the same reaction when I said I wanted to do that - "why so early? is it worth it?" Their response after was "WOW! It was definitely worth it!"

I awoke at 2:00 a.m. Started getting the family around about 2:30 and was finally on the road about 3:00 a.m. There weren't too many cars on the road at that time. We got to the Summit about 4:30 and there were already quite a few cars there. I set my cell phone alarm and we all took naps. I set it for 5:45 because I assumed the sun would be up by then. It is, but not up there. The sun didn't rise above the clouds till about 6:45.

The road up is very scary because it looks as though you will fall off the face of the earth. I just got my photos back and will scan and post them somewhere - does anyone know where you can for free? My one photo looks almost exactly like the post card that you can buy :D I also videotaped it. Remember your sunglasses, because it's very bright!

I don't know about the clouds covering the summit, because at 10,000+ feet up you are above the clouds. It's really neat because the sky gets light before you even see the sun.

After seeing the Kalahau Overlook in the daylight -- the part that looks like Mars -- I would much rather see the sun rise over that area - it would probably be less crowded too.

Just remember - BUNDLE UP! I think it was more like 35 degrees when we were there.

Kim

We did the sunrise a week 1/2 ago, got up at 3:30am, left by 4:00am and arrived at 5:45am (we were staying in Kaanapali). The temperature in the car was reading 45, but with the wind it was really cold. Sunrise was around 6:15am and was quite awesome! The mistake people make is leaving as soon as the sun peeks up, what is the most awesome part is while it is rising watching the different shadows on the clouds. I've done it, do not know if I'd do it again, but glad I did it. Also, real glad I wasn't riding a bicycle down the mountain afterwards. Had breakfast at Kula Lodge, it to was awesome!

Kimmiejo, set up an account at www.ofoto.com - free & userfriendly. I would love to see your photos before we go next month!

Thanks for the tip! I hope this link works...

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=45008751506&page=1&sort_order=0

I only scanned in 109 of my nearly 500 photos :p Not to mention, 3 rolls were stolen with my other stuff, so I do not have many photos from Oahu such as Waikiki, Mt. Tantalus Lookout, the Pali Lookout, the Blowhole and Pearl Harbor :(

Hope you enjoy the pics!

Kim

Awesome pics! I can't wait to walk in your tracks!!!

Thanks!

You'll have to let me know your thoughts on the Pride of Aloha when you get back. I loved the Carnival Spirit, but I didn't like the 5 consecutive days at sea. Since the POA is the only cruise ship that doesn't have long sea days, if we ever did a cruise in Hawaii again (instead of flying to a particular island), I would consider them.

Kim

So glad that worked for you Kimmie! Your photos are beautiful.

I found your post about your rental car break-in - so sorry to hear about that.

Thank you! Yes, it was a bummer. The stolen film is the worst part of it all. I've got a gap in my photos now. :( My parents were with us, though, so I will get copies from theirs, but I tend to take a lot more pics, plus had some with my children in that they didn't.

Kim

Let me just post this caveat here -- we were in Maui a couple months ago, and dragged ourselves (and our kids) outa bed at 4 am to drive up to see the sunrise. Unfortunately, it was TOTALLY socked in with clouds! We could see absolutely nothing. We stood outside in this total white-out for two hours, in the biting cold and wet, drizzly wind, praying the clouds would open up for even a moment. But they never did. What a huge disappointment, as we'd been told many times that seeing the sunrise from here was a magnificent, surreal, spiritual experience. :( Oh well, it was not meant to be, for us.

I guess this just means we'll have to go back to Maui! It really is something I would like to see at least once in my lifetime

Anyway, I'm told that, while this can and does happen occasionally, more often then not it won't. So it's a gamble you just have to decide whether or not you are willing to take.

LeeAnne

Kimmiejo

I don't think I would like the 5 sea days either. I'm too antsy! I'd have been bored too death after day 2! I'm approaching the POA as a "moving motel". I've sailed on the Carnival Paradise and the RCCL Navigator of the Seas and I guess I expect Norwegian to be less spectacular than the first two. The reports are getting better but even when its up to par with what Norwegian expects, I still think it will be even to or less than Carnival and definately be less than RCCL. I researched and its sooooo much cheaper to see all the islands by POA then island hopping via plane. The "Freestyle" idea should work better with all the shore time on this cruise but I think I will miss the dining room experience offered on previous cruises. I expect to get all the "bang" for my buck by just being in Hawaii! Hopefully I will return and be a huge Norwegian fan, but if not at least I can say I've been to paradise!!

You really ought to ask Santa for a digital camera. I back up my photos each night of vacation onto my laptop and also burn them onto cd for safekeeping. I'm a huge picture geek but I'm rewarded everyday as I look around my house and have the mini flashbacks to places I've been.

You really ought to ask Santa for a digital camera. I back up my photos each night of vacation onto my laptop and also burn them onto cd for safekeeping. I'm a huge picture geek but I'm rewarded everyday as I look around my house and have the mini flashbacks to places I've been.

Actually, I do have a digital camera, but I love regular pictures more. I have soooo many photo albums. Until they make a printer whose ink is guaranteed as long as a regular photo is, I would be too afraid to rely solely on that.

So, how does the Royal Carib. compare to Carnival? I've been looking at some of their cruise prices and they seem fairly cheap. Wondering how the service is on board and the look of the ships.

Thanks!

Kim

So, how does the Royal Carib. compare to Carnival? I've been looking at some of their cruise prices and they seem fairly cheap. Wondering how the service is on board and the look of the ships.

Thanks!

Kim

IMO RCCL is a step above Carnival. The atmosphere wasn't stuffy but it wasn't as relaxed as on Carnival. I was on the Paradise's 5th sailing and the Navigator's 4th sailing, so each ship was brand new.

With the Navigator there were soooo many thing to do onboard...Ice skating, inline roller blading, rock climbing, mini-golf, etc. The shows were great and the ice show unbelievably good. The layout of the ship was also better than the Paradise.

On the Paradise's side I'd say the food was better...of course when I sailed her in 1999 they still had the midnight buffet everynight(I'm very food oriented!) Cabins were a little bigger on Carnival. The service was probably a little better on the Navigator but not much difference there. We had an exceptional waiter on the Navigator that would give it the edge.

Overall the Paradise was my first cruise so I will always remember it fondly but you can't go wrong with either of these ships. I much prefered the eastern cruise, over the western for ports, although everyone should experience Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica once in their lifetime. If you decide to do a carribean cruise and need any info give me a shout at ukbballfan78@yahoo.com

Archived