Puerto Rico Questions

I am going on the Serenade out of Puerto Rico at the end of Ocotber. A few questions, if you have a moment to respond:

Departure is 10:00 PM - what time will they actually let you on the ship? Is noon way to early to arrive at the port?

How far is the airport from the port?

Are there easilty obtainable taxi's when we exit the ship or should I arrange a car service back to the airport?

Finally, we are staying at the Hyatt Dorado Resort for two days prior to our cruise. Wouls you recommend taking a taxi from the airport to the resort or arranging for a car service?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! :D

Sunny Bunny,

Friends of ours were on the ship by noon when we went last year. Alas, my sis and I flew in same day so we were on later in the afternoon. Airport is relatively close to the port and the word from the wise of this forum is that taxi transport is pretty good. I wouldn't know as we were newbies last year and took RCI transfers. I would take a taxi if I had it to do all over again. The RCI buses are slow and I could have been on the ship 45 minutes sooner.

Jen

Taxi's are everywhere.........no need to set up arrangments ahead of time. Port is close to the Airport....All taxi's have set rates by zones you are going to, but don't ask me which zone is which and prices.

Arriving at 12 Noon is fine, this is one port that everyone doesn't arrive at the same time because flights are coming in at all hours since it takes people a little longer to get there because of the lengths of flights to get there.

People will still be arriving at 8pm, Noon is fine, should be on the ship by 1pm easy inless the previous cruise had problems getting off.

Jimbo:)

We're going to stay one night prior to our cruise in April... I've narrowed it down to four hotels... any opinions will be greatly appreciated...

Intercontinental

Mariott San Juan Resort

Hyatt Dorado Beach Resort

Hotel El Convento

We like a comfortable room, a pool, and a good resturant... so any advice is appreciated...

Thanks!

SUNNY BUNNY;

I might can help about one of your questions:

"Finally, we are staying at the Hyatt Dorado Resort for two days prior to our cruise. Wouls you recommend taking a taxi from the airport to the resort or arranging for a car service?"

We are to be on the same cruise Thanksgiving week. We are flying in the Fri before and also staying at Dorado Beach. After I booked the resort because it sounded like the best, I found out that it is about a 40 minute drive from the airport. ($65.00 taxi ride). I called the hotel and found out they "contract" transport service thru Dorado Tours . Phone # 787-796-1214 and you can get the bus to the hotel for about $20 per person.

Hope this Helps. :D

SUNNY BUNNY;

I might can help about one of your questions:

"Finally, we are staying at the Hyatt Dorado Resort for two days prior to our cruise. Wouls you recommend taking a taxi from the airport to the resort or arranging for a car service?"

We are to be on the same cruise Thanksgiving week. We are flying in the Fri before and also staying at Dorado Beach. After I booked the resort because it sounded like the best, I found out that it is about a 40 minute drive from the airport. ($65.00 taxi ride). I called the hotel and found out they "contract" transport service thru Dorado Tours . Phone # 787-796-1214 and you can get the bus to the hotel for about $20 per person.

Hope this Helps. :D

Although the Hyatt Dorado is a beautiful hotel and the transportation arrangements make it more reasonable, keep in mind that there is nothing available outside of the resort area, and everything inside the resort is extremely expensive. This is what I have been told by an acquaintance that lives there 6 months out of the year.

Thanks for the info on the Mariott Resort... I booked it~! I got a corner King, Club room... with 2 balconies... I thought that would be my best choice... and I figured we'd take a taxi from the airport to the hotel and then to the port... THanks again!

if money is not an option then the el convento it is in old san juan it's small and has all you need. booked for the 4th and 5th nov for the serenade 6th sailing can't wait. also at the inter-continental after the cruise this way i get to sight see enjoy our self's and the wife gets the beach for two day's after the cruise to relax so you can't go wrong. then there is the gallery inn another small but fine hotel in old san juan

Most of your questions have been answered, so I'll simply elaborate on the airport. The traffic to/fro can be horrendous. Please, please plan accordingly. And then again, you mail "sail" right down the highway. Better to err on the side of caution, tho!

Archived