Booking St. Pete tours while on the ship

jammer5122

My wife and her sister have a habit of booking cruises for ports ahead of time and then changing there minds at the last minute. That same thing happened on our trip to St Pete in 06. We booked ahead, four tours, for St. Pete and wound up changing two of them at the last minute on the ship. They love to shop and found the shopping guy on the ship, forget his name, and got talked into last minute changes. It does work but, you should book something ahead just to be safe. We have yet tried to exchange a tour at the last minute and been stuck with tickets we didn't want. That's still a pretty tough call though. Good luck!

This is one port that I wouldn't gamble on. I believe this city is so extraordinary and I believe it deserves a little time researching what is of interest and then look at the various options. Of course you can pre-book Celebrity tours and they are varied and comprehensive.

Best advice I can offer though is to check out the roll call for your cruise. When we sailed 2 years ago there was a very active roll call and many organized a Red October tour at a savings and were able to personalize their time. In our case, I was very particular about exactly what I wanted to see so we arranged a private tour through Alla Tours. It was the best investment we could have made, for us at least. Our guide was simply outstanding. Alla was able to arrange tickets to the Mariinsky Ballet which was a dream.

You cannot do this city on your own - the tour companies and the cruise lines get your visa which is mandatory.

Have a wonderful time but be sure to plan thoroughly for this port. I wish I were going again.

Has anyone waited until they were on the ship to book tours for St. Petersburg, Russia?

There are great independent tour companies out there for St Petersburg.

Don't wait.

You have Cruise Critic.

Do the research.....

and all the planning/coordinating while you are at home.

If you do not have a personal Russian passport visa you will not be allowed to get off of the ship. Period end of story. You are stranded on the vessel.

You either get a personal visa, use the ship's group visa, or use a St. Petesburg tour agency's group visa. Those are your only options.

Now you decide what you want to do.

Once on board the ship you than have only ONE choice. Use the ship's group tour visa booking a ship's tour or staying on the vessel.

Simple as that.

I agree with the above travelers. I found that setting up our own private tour was a great adventure and half the fun was preparing for it. They are all correct in telling you that you either do a ship's tour, arrange for your own AHEAD OF TIME or stay on the ship. I think St. Petersburg is one port that everyone does as much as they can. The city is fascinating! Also, don't forget that you won't be able to read anything as they us the cyrilian (sp?) alphabet. So unless something happens to be translated into Eng., you're up a creek.

I agree with the above travelers. I found that setting up our own private tour was a great adventure and half the fun was preparing for it. They are all correct in telling you that you either do a ship's tour, arrange for your own AHEAD OF TIME or stay on the ship. I think St. Petersburg is one port that everyone does as much as they can. The city is fascinating! Also, don't forget that you won't be able to read anything as they us the cyrilian (sp?) alphabet. So unless something happens to be translated into Eng., you're up a creek.

Archived