Photography in 30ft

JoeU

Hi Everyone,

I usually lurk the Carnival forum here at the message boards. I have been considering certification, so I've been spending more time here too.

I have a question about shallow water dives and photography. My DW and I are doing the Discover Scuba dive with Divers Down in Grand Cayman. We chose them, because they do a discover dive to the wreck of the Cali. This will be my 3rd discover dive and my wife's 2nd.

My question is: can I take photos of this dive with a simple underwater camera? I didn't want to spend all the money on the equipment to outfit a digital camera to do this. If the simple disposables will work, I'll grab one before we head out to Miami on Sunday. If not, then it looks like it sucks to be me unless there is another option.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Some of the disposables are rated to 27 feet. I would bet you could squeeze an extra 3 feet out of them. The ships usually will rent you a better UW camera, but, I'm not sure of the cost. Check wally world or target, just make sure you check the depth rating before you buy.

Have fun!

We have taken a disposable camera rated for about 30 feet much deeper, maybe 70 feet, and didn't have any problems with the camera. The only problem was that the pictures were somewhat dark.

Sometimes if you take a throwaway too deep the button won't come back up after you take a picture, especially the rubber covered ones. Remember that every 33 feet in saltwater is equal to 1 atmosphere of pressure. Any deeper than 30 feet and you will probably flood a cheapo camera. On the other hand, I personally don't allow cameras on a DSD...too many other things to worry about than taking pics.

Dale

PADI OWSI

On the other hand, I personally don't allow cameras on a DSD...too many other things to worry about than taking pics.

Dale

PADI OWSI

I unfortuately agree, the camera may be a moot point. I'd contact the operator and ask them their policies about Discover Scubas and cameras (they don't let people taking their driving class talk on the phone and drink a cup of coffee on their first lesson out). You'll have enough things going on and gaining situational awareness so don't get too overwhelmed by adding additional tasks to your trip. With that said, you might also consider asking if your dive master can take pictures of you and other things while they're leading you around the reef but it will probably depend on their mood the day you're there.

Randall

At my local dive shop they had a cheap ($25) underwater camera. Just a 35mm with housing, rated down to 100 feet. Nothing fancy, nothing automatic, you even have to rewind the film manually when you're done, but not bad for a starter camera.

we took a cheap disposable diving in the bahamas a few years back. i don't think we went deeper than 45-50 feet. some pics came out much better than others, mostly due to distance & not being able to focus as well as an expensive camera would. i did notice that the colors in the developed photos were not as vivid as i had remembered them. someone on the dive boat told us they will turn out better if you take them to a photo place that can 'wash' them. since we don't have that type of photo service in our town, we were not able to do that. so, if you live near one of those fancy photo developers, they may have some advice for you.

The real question here is... why aren't you certified!? :D

Trust me, I've been pushing for it. She says "I wanna try one more time!". Whether she does or doesn't like it this time, I think I'm gonna go through with it this summer.

Thanks to everyone for the info here. What I think I'm gonna do is buy a cheapie underwater camera, maybe even a disposable digital (I thought I saw them somewhere), and see if our divemaster will take the pics. This way, I can concentrate on diving.

Thanks again for the suggestions and info.

Joe

Hi Everyone,

I usually lurk the Carnival forum here at the message boards. I have been considering certification, so I've been spending more time here too.

I have a question about shallow water dives and photography. My DW and I are doing the Discover Scuba dive with Divers Down in Grand Cayman. We chose them, because they do a discover dive to the wreck of the Cali. This will be my 3rd discover dive and my wife's 2nd.

My question is: can I take photos of this dive with a simple underwater camera? I didn't want to spend all the money on the equipment to outfit a digital camera to do this. If the simple disposables will work, I'll grab one before we head out to Miami on Sunday. If not, then it looks like it sucks to be me unless there is another option.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Disposables lock up and don't work at around 20 - 25 ft. ALso my suggestion is if this is your first time forget the camera and focus on the dive.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Archived