So much to do in Alaska, so little time - HELP!

owtrspace

Hello ~ 2 adults and 10 year old child here traveling on May 19th Celebrity Millennium. I think we have our activities figured out in Astoria, Seattle and Vancouver, but could use some major help with the actual Alaska part. Here are my thoughts:

Sat. 5/24 - Ketchikan 7a-2p; salmon fishing. Does anyone have insight as to the best charter (time, location, cost)? Won't have enough time for Misty Fjords.... is that something too great to miss?

Sun. 5/25 - Juneau 8a-830p; Mendenhall Glacier. Thinking about taking a helicopter tour, land on glacier and do walk out. Potentially thinking about float trip as well. Again, who is the best to fly with for experience and cost? I know the heli tours can be very costly, especially if you add in dog sleg aspect.

Mon/ 5/26 - Skagway 7a-830p; Dog sled/mushers tour; gold panning experience and possibly White Pass railway. Which would be best? I think the dog sled/mushers is a must do.... where to go?

I want to make sure we are hitting the best highlights in each port with factoring that we want to fish, see/walk on a glacier, air tour and dog sled experience. Thanks for any help, guidance, thoughts or comments.

Best,

Jason

My family raves about Northern Lights charter in Ketchikan, verify the season however for salmon. You may be early. Misty Fjords certainly is very scenic and worthwhile, perhaps split up if varied interests.

Juneau- I suggest you look at independent for a helicopter flightseeing with your priority for Mendenhall glacier, will save an hour in shuttle time, IF you get a direct drop off/pick up. Otherwise consider a cab if you don't book with ERA. For glacier trekking look at the longest tour offered by Northstar treking anything short, you barely get out before it's over. The cheapest flightseeing operator is usually Coastal for a glacier landing and glacier dog sledding. There is also TEMSCO, ERA, in the past has been totally ship contracted. Forget the float trip, near the bottom of my excursion recommendations, money is far better spent elsewhere.

Skagway- the White Pass RR certainly is a great tour. You might want to consider a combo rail/bus to the Yukon that includes Caribou Crossing, which has dog sled exposure, cart rides. Chilkoot Charters is most always raved about for their tour. This would be a cheaper option than doing a round trip rail and a Dog sled cart ride, which is probably over $200??

Archived