Text Messaging

My husband and I will be sailing on the Glory on May 17th. This is our first cruise and I was wondering if text messaging works from sea and if so if our standard text messaging fees apply or if there is an additional charge. We have service with Alltel if that matters. Thanks!

My husband and I will be sailing on the Glory on May 17th. This is our first cruise and I was wondering if text messaging works from sea and if so if our standard text messaging fees apply or if there is an additional charge. We have service with Alltel if that matters. Thanks!

oh... yes, check with your cell phone service provider. there can be astronomical fees associated with using text messages while out of the country. I have automatic texts that come in each morning with weather forecast and horoscope. I ended up having to turn my phone off for the entire cruise last week to avoid being charged. What a pain!

From Alltel's website:

Also, Cruise Ship Roaming covers voice usage only. Data usage (including BlackBerry and Office Sync), messaging (text/picture/video), and Touch2Talk are not available via Cruise Ship Roaming.

http://www.alltel.com/wps/portal/AlltelPublic/Content?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/Personal/home/p/wirelessplans/add-ons/international/dinternationalservices&tab_id=3

Thanks for all the information. I wouldn't worry about texting at all but I was sure it had to be cheaper then making calls. We have an 11 year old who will not be going with us and I want to be able to communicate with some while we're gone.

Archived