Has anyone been to Kohunlich

cacky

This is our first cruise to the Western Caribbean, taking RCCL, Splendour, and my husband wants to see the Mayn ruins. He has looked at photos of the ruins that are on shore excursions on webshots.com and thinks Kohunlich has the most to offier. To those of you who have an interest in Mayan ruins. Is the shore excursion to Kohunlich worth it?

• 3 weeks later...
My husband & I both loved the Kohunlich ruin tour. It is a city of ruins, not just a single building or two & is well worth the bus ride. Since it is newly opened to the public, we were able to climb on all the ruins for an up close experience. Our guide said that this would probably not be the case in the future. The upper level of one of the ruins opens onto a plaza-like terrace area where one can view the beautiful grounds below. I would equate it with the Stingray experience in Grand Cayman as one of the 2 excursions that are 'not to be missed'.

The long pants recommendation in the cruise guide is for the mosquito's. Don't forget your bug spray, but shorts were fine. On the negative side... it was the most STRENUOUS excursion I've been on. Quite a bit of walking/climbing in the 2.5 hours of exploring. Not for people with young children or who have bad knees. I don't drink a lot of water, but each of us could have used a full bottle. (We shared.)

There is no shopping, but they do offer a unique Mayan Calendar that can be personalized to your specific birthdate or anniversary for $25. It is made of the same materials that the Mayan's used in their codices and explains the numerical system they used.

No video taping unless you pay a fee. The brochure says $10, but the guide said it was $3, which had to be paid in Peso's... he converted for our grp.

The lunch provided by the cruiseline was okay. Actually, it looked like a bunch of snacks (quite a few) thrown in a wine bag... but, we were STARVING by the return & it was quite tasty. The government tells the cruiselines what they can serve & can't... we still don't know if the sandwich was chicken salad or tuna!

Archived