A Review of My SB Cruise On Windsurf

dave2840

Well, things are back to normal. We have returned to a rainy, cold New England spring after having spent 11 days in warmer places. This review is an honest view, written by an experienced traveler. I have enjoyed over 35 trips to the Caribbean region since 1984, this, however, was my first ever attempt at a cruise.

I picked "Windsurf" because it offered a unique style of travel on a beautiful sailing ship, offered three port-of-call in islands that we had not travelled to (Dominica, Tobago, Bequia) and gave us the ability to return to other places that we vowed someday to revisit (St. Lucia, Grenada, Barbados, Mayreau). Also, we like the casual attitude regarding dress, the no-set-time dining, and the small number of cabins on board (which means a small number of fellow travellers. By the way, the word on the ship was that they were 40 passengers below capacity. This made it even better, if possible.

We flew the first part of the vacation on Southwest Airlines, a really professional organization. Our first leg of the trip took us to Fort Lauderdale, where we had a day visiting the Riverwalk, the Las Olas district, and took a journey on the New River on the "Carrie B". Fort Lauderdale is on our list of places we want to return to.

On Friday morning (Mar 21) we left via Air Jamaica for Barbados to pick up the Windsurf. Our two day stay in Barbados was at the Southern Palms Beach Club in St. Lawrence Gap. We enjoyed our accomodations and the very friendly staff at this resort. The resort is just large enough, has a very wide (900) foot swath of beach, two refresing pools, and really good food in the dining room. Having said that, we dined at McBride's Irish Pub on one night and at Bellini's the next. The food and atmosphere at both of these St. Lawrence Gap restaurants was way above par, we would return to both with no hesitation.

On Sunday, March 23, we boarded Windsurf, for the best vacation of our life. Our first view of the ship was breathtaking. Its very well maintained, and has an awesome appearance outside as well as in. Having gone through reception and checking in we were brought to our suite (number 319) within 20 minutes of getting onboard. The in-processing was efficient and everything was explained thoroughly and proficiently. And even as someon who had never cruised, we felt immediately at home. Our cabin was spotless and beautifully appointed, a large comfortable bed, two bathrooms with first-class amenities, 2 flat-screen TVs,a sofa, two stuffed chairs, refrigerator, 2 desks, 2 hairdryers, two robes etc.

All meals were very good, service can only be described as the best we have seen anywhere. By the end of the first full day, waitstaff was calling you by your first name and literally did everything they could to make your stay enjoyable. Buffet and meal presentation were top shelf.

All facilities, (Library, Gym, Yacht Club, all restaurants and bars) were spotlessly maintained. Both pools and the hot tubs, were refresinging and really not the biggest, but most of the time there were no more than 3 people in any pool. Lounges & beach towels were aplenty.

TV service in the rooms lacked a little variety, but we understand that they need to do repairs to their satelittle TV system. However, they did provide hundreds of DVD movies to entertain you as well as a Bose speaker system to hook up your MP3 player.

Ship's officers were very friendly and kept enquiring as to whether you were having a good time and as to what they could do to assist you in making things better. They also solicited ideas for port-of-call locations as well.

My Gripe List:

The port of call in Tobago was a very poor choice. Charlotteville is a very tiny fishing port with no facilities other than one restaurant and a market. They need to consider anchoring off of Pigeon Point in southern Tobago. It's a much nicer location with plenty of things to do.

Thats all my gripes. I have had more complaints on a trip out to dinner here in New England than on a 8 day cruise on Windsurf.

For those of you embarking on Windsurf in the near future, I envy you. You are in for a wonderful experience. Enjoy !!! Those folks who compain about Windsurf must live in the World fo Perfect. My trip on Windsurf made me feel like I was living right next to Perfect.

I have about 1000 photos of the trip, broken down into 9 albums, including a comprehensive tour around the ship. Want to see them? E-mail me at dave2840@msn.com and I'll drop you a link.

Dave,

Thank you very much for the review. It sounds like there have been one of two things happening. Either, as you said, people who have complained are looking for something perfect (which nothing is), or there have been problems and MAL management has been listening and things are getting back to the Windstar standard that we all love and enjoy.

My wife and I have been on the Star, Song and Spirit many times and are now looking forward to our first cruise on the Surf.

I have been eagerly awaiting your report, and greatly appreciate it!* We have sailed on Wind Star (Costa Rica) and Wind Spirit (Caribbean) and loved both.* For next winter's adventure, we have been debating between Wind Spirit's 14 day repo cruise from Puerto Caldera to Barbados through the Panama Canal, and Wind Surf's 7-day S/B itinerary.* The 7-day fits better with our calendar and budget, and now, given your reassurances, it's likely the choice we'll make.I'll be e-mailing you for the link for your photos, Dave.* Thanks for sharing your excellent experience.

Archived