What is the best lightest stroller?

feonad

I really like the Combi EX (or DX). We looked at Maclaren and only the higher priced models reclined and that was a big issue for us with naps with a smaller toddler.

The Combi has a full recline, nice padding, folds like an umbrella and a shoulder strap.

The only negative is that it has a small basket and the shade is not very long. However, those two factors seem to be the problem with most umbrellas.

Depends on your definition of "best". What are your must haves vs nice to haves? Think about these things:

Ability to recline

Overall weight

Carry strap, vs handle vs bag

Snack tray

weight limit

material comfort

cost

width/height- for your child's and your own comfort

Accesories: Sun shades, rain cover, etc

Ease of use- one hand/two hand folds

Any other key features important to you

I did massive research on this recently, and the Combi Flex made the most sense for me.. but might not for you. The Volo gets rave reviews, but i wanted the recline option, among others not found on that model.

If you have specific question, let me know. Elitecarseats.com was a good reference as well.

We have a Maclaran Quest and LOVE it. I can't remember the exact weight but it is very light. It reclines and my daughter (6 months) is comfy sleeping in it. We took it on our last cruise and it was great. Our other stroller is a Graco Metrolite which would have been way too big in the cabin.

We have the Peg Perego Aria and it is perfect! We have taken it on 5 cruises with DD. It fits through the decks, halls doorways perfectly. It only weighs 9 pounds, full-recline, has snack tray, canopy, large underneath basket. It also folds up and fits in the closet iin the cabin perfectly.

I researched when we took on DD on her first cruise. We wanted something under $100, reclining seat, and fold up umbrella style. We ended up going with the Chicco C5 (not the Capri) and we still use it all the time. It also comes with a rain cover which came in handy when we were in Mexico. We bought a canopy extender by Hippopotamus? that gave her added shade. I liked the Combi but when i went to the store to try it out, it seemed flimsy and small like it wouldn't last her to long before she outgrew it. The handles were also a lot shorter. Here is a link to the Chicco. It comes in red also.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2265738

We have the MaClaren Triumph. My husband and I are both tall and it was the only stroller we didn't kick the wheels as we walked. It has two main drawbacks - no cupholders (these can be purchased separately) and the basket is fairly small.

Pros: 3 way adjustable reclining seat, self standing when folded, lightweight, carry strap, and a good stride length behind wheels. It also comes with a rain cover, but we haven't used that part yet

I am a big fan of Chicco's but had read about kicking the wheels. We tried several out in Babies R Us and the Maclaren was the only one that felt comfortable for us.

MAC CLAREN TRIUMPH

Ability to recline...check

Overall weight......check, 8lbs

Carry strap..........check

weight limit..........40lbs

material comfort...check

cost...................129 - 150

width/height........good for us, 5'9" here

Sun shade...........check

FULL rain cover.....check

one hand steering..check

one hand fold........check

Basket underneath..check

This was my 4th stroller purchase. I should have went with this the FIRST time. It's on the 3rd kid, but I did not get it for the first one. The second and 3rd LOVE it and so do mom and dad. People are amazed at the convenience of it and it's manueverability! Go to the baby store (babies R us) and test drive a few different ones.

We have the Peg Perego Aria and it is perfect! We have taken it on 5 cruises with DD. It fits through the decks, halls doorways perfectly. It only weighs 9 pounds, full-recline, has snack tray, canopy, large underneath basket. It also folds up and fits in the closet iin the cabin perfectly.
This was my second choice. It was a bit bulkier and $$, but still very nice.

We had the Maclaren Quest and it went everywhere from airports to NYC to the hills of Tuscany and it's even outlasted its use now that DS is 5 1/2. Ditto on the tall factor which is one of the reasons we picked it-DH is 6'4" and I am 5'7". Another reason: while I was pregnant, saw a guy outside my office hold a baby in one arm while he collapsed the Maclaren to go into the subway with the other. Light, portable, but comfy. DS took some well timed long naps in it during our travels.

If you go to Babies R Us, and look through the strollers they have great reviews. I base alot of our purchases on them.

Be sure to look for "full recline" vs. just recline, if you are looking for a smaller child or one that does not like to be upright during naps.

The Combi EX/DX was the only one that I found with a full recline for under $100. I really liked the look of the Maclaren Volo and the Chicco Capri better and they were priced similar, but both only had a small recline. It really depends on what you want to spend.

My little one is 16 months and we have a stroller that reclines by loosening a strap and the recline part is ok. It's just when it is in the upright position.. It seems like it makes her hunch over and she doesn't get to sit straight up.. I like the Maclaren Quest but it is a little more than I wanted to spend.. I don't know if you guys know or not but youtube has video clips on strollers and their features. It is quite helpful.. Thanks for the responses!!

We have a Maclaran Quest and LOVE it. I can't remember the exact weight but it is very light. It reclines and my daughter (6 months) is comfy sleeping in it. We took it on our last cruise and it was great.

I have to agree on the Mac Quest. It's an AWESOME stroller! It folds up really slim and is REALLY light and it also has a handle that makes it easy to carry (not a strap like the Volo and Triumph have, but it's sufficient). My almost 3 year old has been in hers since she was 6 months old. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It reclines almost ALL the way down! GREAT for naps. I can't recommend Maclaren's enough! (it also holds up to 55 pounds --- even a bit more! So you can get a lot of use out of it) Good luck deciding! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! newbie cruiser here...I'll be going on the Miracle on 5/9. Does anyone know if the Peg Perego Pliko3 will be ok? I really don't want to spend alot on another stroller as I love this one and use it all the time. Plus, my 22mo. DD is on the taller side (34" & 28+ lbs.) so she'd be squashed in the typical umbrellas that you can get at BRU or Walmart. Lastly the best part about the Pliko, at least on my 2004 model, is the little step that my 4yo can hitch a ride on when he gets tired. It's not always the most comfy ride for him but it works in a pinch. Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:)

My DH and I bought a Graco stroller (I think it was similar to Metrolite) on clearance for $69 at Babies R'Us to use on our cruise last Feb. Our DD was 10mos old at time of cruise. The snack tray, sunshade and basket capacity were most important to us.

I started to read the message boards and thought the Metrolite would be too bulky as most recommend a lightweight umbrella stroller. We went back to the store and bought the Peg Perego Aria OH, a 2007 model. It was, again, on clearance for less than $150 and had all the features we were looking for with an adjustable strap recline. The trick to making it a one handed fold and unfold is to jerk it a little when opening it. Took me a long time to figure that out.

The Peg Perego Aria OH was a great stroller for the cruise we took aboard the Carnival Conquest. I bought some bag hooks at the Babies R'Us store to hang lightweight bags and diaper bag from. The snack tray was nice for us to feed DD out on deck of ship and in some port locations. We used high chair at other times and the stroller folded easily and stood by itself. It fit in our cabin doorway easily and didn't take up too much room as it was just the 3 of us rooming together.

The Graco (Metrolite?) would have worked for our cruise, also. We may have had a little difficulty getting thru the cabin doorway, but it would have been just as easy to push around the ship and actually has more storage area (which helps if you buy a bit in port or have to pack a bigger diaper bag). Our drink holders would have been extremely nice to have on the cruise - we missed them with the Peg Perego.

Think about what is most important to you and how much you are willing to carry cuz you will end up carrying the stroller at some point on your cruise. Go to a lot of stores or a store like Babies R'Us and test several out. Put your child in them to see how they fit and what their comfort is. Imagine how they would work for what you need them to do. If you need compact go with an umbrella stroller. If you need storage, then realize you're gonna need to compromise. If you want a snack tray, etc... Eliminate those that don't have what you need no matter what their review. You will end up wishing you had bought otherwise. Not everybody needs the same things. And then don't worry about what stroller you have and enjoy your cruise.

Jennie

PS: I saw at least two very "well used" medium sized strollers on the cruise. The owners looked like they were having a blast even though I didn't know how they managed to manuever them in the photo area as I had difficulty with my lightweight one!!!:)

Archived