Anyone Know Of A Nice Place In Bayonne

jobowl

I found a Courtyard in Parsippany NJ and a Courtyard in Hanover (about 20 minutes from Newark) for only $79 a night each and that includes breakfast for 4. I have a $75 Marriott gift certificate that I can use so the price is great.

I was in the Bayonne/Newark area yesterday checking out hotel locations. I saw the Elizabeth area hotels, and then the Marriotts by the airport (they included Springhill, Courtyard, and Fairfield Inn.)

I found a Courtyard in Parsippany NJ and a Courtyard in Hanover (about 20 minutes from Newark) for only $79 a night each and that includes breakfast for 4. I have a $75 Marriott gift certificate that I can use so the price is great.

I was in the Bayonne/Newark area yesterday checking out hotel locations. I saw the Elizabeth area hotels, and then the Marriotts by the airport (they included Springhill, Courtyard, and Fairfield Inn.)

Thanks for the info. With Parsippany, we will not have to backtrack to the house we are leaving our car at, so this may be a very good solution for us.

Although I can't find the rates you said, there is also a Fairfield there and they have a room for 10,000 points which is the same as we had in Paramus and the Fairfield has a free breakfast buffet.

The cheapest room I found at the Fairfield was $79, but it did not include breakfast, and it was a pre-pay non-refundable room and our plans may change yet again. There was a room for $104 that included the breakfast which was for 2 adults and 2 children under 12. This room was not pre-pay.

What were your thoughts on the hotels that you saw personally?

This is where we opted to stay. I got two rooms for $79 each and it includes breakfast. It was Hanover not Parsippany but they are close to each other in distance.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/EWRNJ?vsretype=c&vsresect=rd&vsrelink=vhw&vsrebrand=CY&vsremarsha=EWRNJ

For the hotels I saw personally ...

Fairfield Inn & Suites Airport .. very clean inside with an electric fireplace in the cafe area. The pool was small but looked clean as well. I did not get a view of the rooms though. Coming off the 78E, the hotel was very easy to find and its in line with many other hotels. Very close to the airport and a bit closer to the cruise port.

Elizabeth NJ, Country Inn and Suites, Courtyard, and the other hotel I cant think of now ... I saw all three of them as well. Better more open area (but gets bad fast) with a Ruby Tuesdays and diner right outside the doors and the Jersey Gardens Mall as well if you get tired of the hotel room.

For those of you who are planning to park in Bayonne anyway, looking for rooms away from NY that are cheaper is a smart move if doing NYC is not part of your pre-cruise plans. Just pretend you live in NJ, just like I pretend I live with my mother in Hightstown NJ. So if you have a good deal in Hanover, it's just as if you live there and are going on the cruise.

I would advise having an alternative plan in case of severe weather. Any of the motels around Newark Airport or Jersey City would have good access to Bayonne in a snowstorm. That's our backup plan. If the weather is really supposed to be bad, we will go to Newark the previous day. However, I can't believe we wouldn't be able to go the 45 miles on the day of the cruise.

For post cruise stays involving time in NYC, look at Secaucus, where you can get reasonable rooms and a quick bus trip to NY through the Lincoln Tunnel.

I dont think its really even needed for me to have a hotel the night before our cruise because I live 1.5 hours away. Its the convenience (and tradition) of being close by in the morning and in case of bad weather, we can get a head start.

I figure if the Explorer can make it to port, so can I no matter what the weather.

I dont think the hotels offer shuttles to the jersery gardens but the hotels kind of share the same parking lot.

http://www.jerseygardens.com/

and they said they do have a shuttle (at this time anyway - I can see where it might change with gas prices going up) that will take you to the mall and pick you up. However, if it's not raining/snowing (GOD forbid) we'd just as soon walk it if it's safe and not to far.

Would you recommend one over the other as far as the 3/4 hotels that are right in the Jersey Garden Mall area?

THANKS again!!!

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the insight!

We decided to drive to Cape Liberty!

The parking situation will best serve us if we stay at the peir for $16.00 per day! Can we charge that?? ($144.00)

We also located a Ramada in East Orange for $75.00 a night including breakfast. It's within a few blocks of a train station to visit the city! The parking is free. Some locations didn't provide parking. It's about 8 or 9 miles from the peir. No taxi or additional fees!

So.... to park and spend a night....$219.00???? Good or NOT??

Is this a good choice?? Safe?? Cost for June??

138east, we are cruising June the 11th-20th on the Explorer. We are driving from Ohio. The plan was to drive out the day before stay in NJ and visit the city.

I didn't see the reviews on the Ramada!!

We are assessing parking at the port and staying in an economiclal hotel that we can take a train to the city.

Thanks for you help!

Tigers2 - You really want to post on the East Coast Departures forum to get a full range of responses. There are many strategies (including Priceline and Hot Wire) that are discussed for finding reasonable hotels rooms for a pre-cruise stay. Read through the forum to see what folks are saying.

Also, I am unclear as to how many nights you want to stay. It sounds like you plan to drive from Ohio and go to NY all in one day.

Megr1125 has a web site

Click here for my Cape Liberty Info blog:http://mojitomegcapeliberty.blogspot.com/

There are 3 major strategies:

1) Stay in the Newark Airport area

2) Stay in Jersey City

3) Stay in the Secaucus/Meadowlands area

From Jersey City you can take the Path trains to NY. From Secaucus you take a quick bus ride into NY. Newark airport is more difficult - you have to get to Newark station or go into Jersey City.

Another option is staying in Edgewater or Ft. Lee and taking the ferry to Manhattan.

What makes it more difficult for you is that you will be there in the middle of the week, so you want to have direct access to some sort of public transportation.

Tigers2 - You really want to post on the East Coast Departures forum to get a full range of responses. There are many strategies (including Priceline and Hot Wire) that are discussed for finding reasonable hotels rooms for a pre-cruise stay. Read through the forum to see what folks are saying.

Also, I am unclear as to how many nights you want to stay. It sounds like you plan to drive from Ohio and go to NY all in one day.

Megr1125 has a web site

Click here for my Cape Liberty Info blog:http://mojitomegcapeliberty.blogspot.com/

There are 3 major strategies:

1) Stay in the Newark Airport area

2) Stay in Jersey City

3) Stay in the Secaucus/Meadowlands area

From Jersey City you can take the Path trains to NY. From Secaucus you take a quick bus ride into NY. Newark airport is more difficult - you have to get to Newark station or go into Jersey City.

Another option is staying in Edgewater or Ft. Lee and taking the ferry to Manhattan.

What makes it more difficult for you is that you will be there in the middle of the week, so you want to have direct access to some sort of public transportation.

I tried to post to your blog, but I don't have a google account. We are planning on staying two nights post cruise to see the some things. We are planning on staying at the Springhill Suites (room style is really good for our family and I have Marriott points) near the Newark Airport.

We will be there for a Friday afternoon and Saturday all day. Our must do list includes the ferry from NJ to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island as well as the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum. We may also want to spend some time at Liberty State Park, but I haven't been able to find too much info on it.

We will have a car. Do you have any suggestions on how to get around, a plan of attack on what to do when, other not to miss places, etc.

Thanks.

138east, we are driving from Ohio to NJ on Tuesday June 9th and planning on visiting the city on Wednesday June the 10th! The cruise sets sail on Thursday June 11th! I actually tried kayak.com and discovered the Ramada.

I thought the Ramada was close, had free parking and breakfast! I guess mid-week is insane?? I'll continue to read the other post!

The web blog is also good info!

Thanks!

First and foremost - the blog belongs to MEGR1125 - Meg. She developed it as a results of all the questions about Bayonne. Isn't it terrific?

Alwalaska - Your plan sounds fine. Springhill Suites at the airport should be a fine choice. You can read about it on Trip Advisor.

My suggestion would be to go to Liberty State Park after you get off the cruise. It is very close by in Jersey City. http://www.libertystatepark.org/ You may want to consider self-disembarkation to get a head start on Friday. Traffic from the port to the park should not be an issue. If you want to go up the Statue, be sure to read the web site carefully about making reservations to do that. Your luggage should be OK in your car.

On Saturday you can go into NY. It will be a lot easier on the weekend. There are several options to do that. I'm sure others can provide suggestions - I'm just trying to keep it simple for you. Drive - I would suggest going through the Lincoln Tunnel and parking right there in the Port Authority garage. There are signs (I think you stay left in the Tunnel) and you would really not have to drive in Manhattan because the PA garage is right at the tunnel exit. Train/Path - Drive to Newark station and pay to park - I've seen $8.00 quoted as a price, but it could be more. Buy a one day round trip to NY (check NJTransit for prices) or take the Path train ($1.75 each way). Path can take you to the World Trade Center directly or to 33rd & 6th (Herald Square - Macy's) by changing to the 33rd St. train at Journal Square.

Tigers2 - I don't really know what to say about the Ramada except that what I read about it would not appeal to me. There has been lots of discussion about booking hotels in Secaucus on Priceline and people have been satisfied. My daughter and her husband stayed there once to do NY and were very happy. Others have liked motels in Edgewater, Ft. Lee, and Jersey City.

Having a car gives you a lot of flexibility. You might want to look at the New Brunswick area near exit 9 on the NJ turnpike. You can get a bus there that goes directly into Port Authority in about 35 minutes. Since you are coming in from Ohio, you might also want to look at some of the more western NJ towns out I-80 that have NY train service.

Archived