Just curious

Avril

This is weird (I think). :confused: I looked in HAL's brochure and they had the ms Amsterdam sailing a wonderful looking 14 day Caribbean cruise over Christmas and New Years. :D I looked in HAL's Holiday brochure, and they had the ms Amsterdam sailing a 20 (or so) day cruise in South America (if I remember right) over Christmas and New Years leaving about 5 days before the Caribbean one. :confused: The longer cruise goes no where near the Caribbean. Just wondering, where is the Amsterdam going to be spending the holidays this year?

I think Sandy Sails is right. IIRC, the Amsterdam is taking over the Rotterdam's recent South America duties, freeing up the Rotterdam to go back on the World Cruise circuit.

Don't forget that the US "middle of winter" is the Middle of Summer for South America. For much of the cruise it will be very warm. Also, Nov-Dec-Jan-Feb are the ONLY times cruise ships can visit Antarctia, summer there, as it is the only time the ice melts far enough back for ships to get close to land for scenery and animal viewing.

Also, Nov-Dec-Jan-Feb are the ONLY times cruise ships can visit Antarctia, summer there, as it is the only time the ice melts far enough back for ships to get close to land for scenery and animal viewing.

Not to mention the months you'll have daylight with which to see it all! :D

Sorry to hear of the confusion. I have seen the (non-holiday) brochure you mention, and it contains a previous plan for holiday 2008 cruises. There have been several swaps since then.

If the previous itinerary for the Amsterdam over Christmas 2008 looked good to you, I would suggest looking at the newer Christmas itinerary on the Rotterdam. It departs December 23 and is 12 nights (a tad shorter than the previous 14 night trip). The two fewer days means no stops in Costa Maya or Roatan.

If you still want a 14 night trip, there are two options leaving December 19, although neither includes a visit to Gatun Lake in the Panama Canal. The relevant ships are the Maasdam and Prinsendam.

I hope this helps.

According to their website, it's the 20-day South American and Antarctica Explorer. Not quite as warm as the Caribbean, eh? Try to find another ship with a similar Caribbean itinerary and you should be good to go.

Thanks. I just thought it was strange to have the same ship going at the same time on 2 completely different itineraries. I've got my New Years cruise booked - a 7 Day Southern Caribbean on the Eurodam!! :D Hopefuly much warmer than the South American and Antarctica Explorer!!

I wonder why they have the Amsterdam on 2 itineraries at the same time? :confused: Obviously they can't be in 2 places at once!!

Sorry to hear of the confusion. I have seen the (non-holiday) brochure you mention, and it contains a previous plan for holiday 2008 cruises. There have been several swaps since then.

If the previous itinerary for the Amsterdam over Christmas 2008 looked good to you, I would suggest looking at the newer Christmas itinerary on the Rotterdam. It departs December 23 and is 12 nights (a tad shorter than the previous 14 night trip). The two fewer days means no stops in Costa Maya or Roatan.

If you still want a 14 night trip, there are two options leaving December 19, although neither includes a visit to Gatun Lake in the Panama Canal. The relevant ships are the Maasdam and Prinsendam.

I hope this helps.

Oh, now I get it (I think). :D You can ignore my last question (see post above). Sorry!! :o

Archived