Changes to Carnival Weddings for Non-Sailing Guests

I received an email from my Carnival coordinator (not to be confused with TWE coordinator), it was a "Non-Sailing Guests Lido Deck Buffet Access Form". Apparently, if our non-sailing guests would like to venture up to the Lido deck for a snack while waiting for the ceremony to start, we have to pay (prepay, no later than 3 weeks prior) an additional $10 per person. Just another way to make a buck! :cool:

We have already paid for our reception at $24 per person! In all the past Carnival reviews that have been posted on this board, non-sailing guests have been able to visit the lido deck during the time leading up to the ceremony and reception at no charge. With this new charge, Carnival backs people into a corner, what is one to do..."Welcome all of our non-sailing guests. Feel free to stroll around the ship, but you best not eat until the reception because we were too cheap to pay an additional $10 for you."

And I hardly think we would forgo our wedding reception to allow our guests to eat for "free" on the lido deck! :rolleyes:

I did not post this information to create controversy. I was posting to simply inform any future brides of the new charge.

Thanks, KellyKelly1980, I do realize you have a history of stirring the pot! :cool:

Wow thanks so much for posting that, I had the same impression you did that the guests could take a tour of the ship and snack at the buffet while I am getting ready. I'll make sure to tell guests to eat a good breakfast before leaving the hotel for boarding.

I received an email from my Carnival coordinator (not to be confused with TWE coordinator)' date=' it was a "Non-Sailing Guests Lido Deck Buffet Access Form". Apparently, if our non-sailing guests would like to venture up to the Lido deck for a snack while waiting for the ceremony to start, we have to pay (prepay, no later than 3 weeks prior) an [i']additional[/i] $10 per person. Just another way to make a buck! :cool:

I had actually inquired about this about 2-3mths ago and was told about a $9.60 fee for guest to eat the buffet. I inquired because of my concern that guest wouldn't have access to anything to drink till the reception...not really food. I was told that they can pay for drinks at a cash bar if that was needed. Once the date gets closer I am going to look more into it. I just wanted to add that incase everyone was concerned about drinks other than food. I can't see someone waiting on line to get on the ship, then walk around the ship for an hour or more with nothing to drink. Esp if they have kids..we all know how that goes!

What?! I've never heard of that! Thats nuts. My guests all went to the buffet for a little snack and nobody was charged anything. I don't see how they would even distinguish if you were a non sailing guest or not? There were lots of passengers outside of the wedding already on board while i was getting ready.

I'm thinking the same thing. 1) I haven't received such an announcement and I sail may 18 2) I've already told my guests it will be available.

I'm not having a reception because only 3 people are attending my wedding and I'm not spending an extra $500 for 3 people to eat! My sister lives in Davenport, FL and will probably come in the night before, so we might go to breakfast together that morning, but I know I'll be pretty busy with getting ready. I have to put curlers in my hair and re-pack our carryons to include all that stuff I'll be needing! I might send my dad out to get some breakfast to go!! Maybe I'll just order room service as soon as we get on the ship and have a quick bite??

I don't mind paying 30 dollars really, but it's the idea that I haven't been informed. If they try to make me poney up the dough, I'll just have everyone come to my room before and I'll order LOTS of room service HAHAHA!!! See what they have to say about THAT!!!

I'm thinking the same thing. 1) I haven't received such an announcement and I sail may 18 2) I've already told my guests it will be available.

I'm not having a reception because only 3 people are attending my wedding and I'm not spending an extra $500 for 3 people to eat! My sister lives in Davenport, FL and will probably come in the night before, so we might go to breakfast together that morning, but I know I'll be pretty busy with getting ready. I have to put curlers in my hair and re-pack our carryons to include all that stuff I'll be needing! I might send my dad out to get some breakfast to go!! Maybe I'll just order room service as soon as we get on the ship and have a quick bite??

I don't mind paying 30 dollars really, but it's the idea that I haven't been informed. If they try to make me poney up the dough, I'll just have everyone come to my room before and I'll order LOTS of room service HAHAHA!!! See what they have to say about THAT!!!

If I remember right..none of your guest are sailing. I don't believe room service is available until after the ship sails...maybe even later into the evening. Try not to bank on it...this new $10 rule may be your only option if you want to provide food of some sort.

The ten dollar fee is correct. I spoke with my coordinator and I was told that there is a $10 fee for non-sailing guests to eat at the Lido Deck. I personally think that it is a good deal. Why should they be allowed to eat for free? That is the point of having a reception so that they can eat. They should eat before they come onboard. Just my opinion.

You're exactly right Fantasy Bride - if they gave the food away for free, no one would order the food for their reception. This just makes business sense. And Carnival is a business, afterall. Tell your guests to eat a good breakfast - I think most people can go one or 2 hrs without shoving food in their mouths.

I disagree. The point of the reception wasn't to eat. Honestly i dont even think my guests ate the food at the reception. The point for us was to celebrate, dance, do the cake cutting, and most of all...OPEN BAR. The food was the LEAST important aspect.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi J's gal. I saw in previous threads that you have already had your wedding. What did you end up doing about the $10 and were your guests allowed up to the lido deck?

You give wonderful information out!! And gorgeous pictures!!

thanks,

jenn

I disagree. The point of the reception wasn't to eat. Honestly i dont even think my guests ate the food at the reception. The point for us was to celebrate, dance, do the cake cutting, and most of all...OPEN BAR. The food was the LEAST important aspect.

LOL, let's not forget that everyone's priorities are different! ;)

This doesn't seem like such a big deal to me....

When your final guest list is secure, simply send everyone a note letting them know that, "while they are invited to walk around and enjoy the beauty of the ship, it is requested that they not indulge themselves in any of the amenities that are intended for Carnical's sailing guests."

You could even say "Carnival Cruise has asked that we request that you...."

If you print it up on a nice piece of embossed paper that matches your formal invitations, you could even slip it in with those when you mail them out.

Otherwise, just send out a final "announcement" reminding the guest that they are on the guest list, letting them know of any last minute details (or confirming all details previously mentioned), and slip that into the note.

People will understand.

Now, if you already told them that they could munch at the buffet, and this is more of an "I have egg on my face" situation, then you are just going to have to suck it up and either tell them that you were incorrect in your assumption OR that Carnival changed their policy recently.

Either way, your guests really shouldn't make a big deal out of it.

I just attended a Carnival wedding as a sailing guest -- but lots of the guests were not sailing with us. To be honest, we had virtually no time to wander up to the Lido deck and partake in the buffett. We boarded, figured out how to find the ceremony and reception venues (they were in different rooms on opposite ends of the ship) and then it was time for the wedding to start.

There was plenty of food (and drink) at the reception, and I don't think anyone was put out that they couldn't also eat before the ceremony.

I agree with you...I wouldn't pay for them to eat twice. Everyone should eat a good breakfast and should be fine until 1:30 for the reception. It's a bummer they can't buy drinks or anything but if they hang out with a sailing guest, they could always give them some money. I'd tell them to bring a good book and hang out in a lounge or by the pool until the wedding time!

Archived