Canaries not popular?

davecttr

Checking out Canaries cruises for next year reveals that pando have slashed the number available from 17 this year to 9? next, bad news if you want to cruise there:(

So what is the problem with the Canaries?

More cruises for the Med and Baltic though

Have just received offers from our online TA.

Unbelievable price for 14 nts on the Ventura on May 9th. Where? The Canaries!!!

For the price they offer I would go if I had the time -just for the cruising -not the ports of call.

I really thought the Ventura would be all booked up for her 1st year. That was the case with the Arcadia, was it not?

Received brochure for 2009 today - came with Portunus magazine. Interesting to see a Canaries cruise DEc/Jan from Soton - could be an interesting crossing.

Have enjoyed canaries cruise in the past but wouldn't rush again unless bargain deal - I too am surprised at the deal on Ventura.There seems to be a few very good late deals for May and June generally.

Also very surprised at RCC pricing policy for 2009 - doesn't seem very competitive at all. I suspect within 6 months there may be a number of offers/deals being put fwd as people are bound to be affected by the current economic situation ( I hope so anyway!).

Guest Daimen

We've all booked up for the 4th July sailing to the Canaries. Although the ports have an impact on what cruise we choose - I think more so it's the duration, cruise line and ship.

I'm one of those people who would cruise anywhere and not get off :cool:

Have just received offers from our online TA.

Unbelievable price for 14 nts on the Ventura on May 9th. Where? The Canaries!!!

For the price they offer I would go if I had the time -just for the cruising -not the ports of call.

I really thought the Ventura would be all booked up for her 1st year. That was the case with the Arcadia, was it not?

Interesting, my brochure has Ventura 8 May cruise to Rome.

I must say, that the Canaries cruise was much more relaxing than our Med one. The ports don't all need tours or money to get taxis/trains as well - Rome and Florence being so far away from the port where the ship docked.

La Palma was very pretty. At Tenerife we went across the island to the white beaches of Playa la Americas. Gran Canria - not impressed, although they had a nice new shopping complex across the docks from the ship!

As I said, the highlight was the pretty town of Maderia, going up in thew cable car to the gardens at Monte, and sailing under the bridge into Lisbon...photos can be viewed on this link if interested:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/1stCruiseCanariesOnArcadiaMay06

Sue

p.s. weather was brilliant sailed 12th May till 25th, and we were very tanned when we got back

If P&O visited the smaller islands ,eg.La Gomera and La Palma perhaps they would be more popular, instead of the same old places year in year out.

The Oceana Canaries Cruise in October 2005 went to La Palma - it was one of my favourite ports on that cruise.

I like the Canaries because

1) you can usually get a cruise there in October - December - just when I need one again :D

2) the price is good & the single supplements are lower (Whenever there is a new P+O brochure, I always try to find the cruise with the lowest SS & it tends to be Aurora or Oriana to the Canaries in December)

3) its usually shorter than a Med cruise, making it good as a second holiday (refer to point 1 :D)

My last Canaries cruise was very good :D - but I hardly bothered to get off the ship - just for an hour or two for a walk round the port in 3 of the 5/6 ports; I was there for the sun, the ship (QE2) and the holiday experience (which this time, was the 4 and 5 am finishes in the nightclub with a great crowd of people!)

Karen

Canaries mmmmmmmmm dare I say I like them. Obviously excluding Madeira which is not in fact in the Canaries. I make of a place what I can and love to explore. I loved La Palmer and lanzarote as strange looking as it is. I love the scenery. Tenerife is the only island that has really seemed to gone down hill but its still good to explore!!!!

Do not be put off by the Canaries I last went a few years back in August and the weather was not great i.e. cloudy most days !!!!

..............is it my imagination or is there more last minute availability this year?

Over the last 2 to 3 weeks I have been inundated with "special offers" from my TA, other TA's (where they got my details from heaven alone knows) P&O Cunard. also the papers are full of brochures and specials as well.

All a bit frustrating when we were advised to book early and then cannot rebook at the better prices:(

Clive

..............is it my imagination or is there more last minute availability this year?

Over the last 2 to 3 weeks I have been inundated with "special offers" from my TA, other TA's (where they got my details from heaven alone knows) P&O Cunard. also the papers are full of brochures and specials as well.

All a bit frustrating when when we were advised to book early and then cannot rebook at the better prices:(

Clive

Clive

In 12 years of cruising we have never seen more offers at this time in the year. Given the economic situation we expect even better offers as the summer progresses.

Regarding re booking, could you not cancel, lose the deposit and the other partner rebook with a different TA.

Regards

Cb

All a bit frustrating when we were advised to book early and then cannot rebook at the better prices

Clive

Tried to re-book but unforunately we paid more than the minimum deposit when we first booked (a lesson learnt):mad:, also this particular trip is full at the level we have booked, however the TA have agreed to give us first pass at any suites that come available (So they say):rolleyes:

Clive

All a bit frustrating when we were advised to book early and then cannot rebook at the better prices:(

Clive

I must admit I have not noticed any extra offers this year. There are always offers at this time and through the summer filling up the few remaining cabins. I have seen offers for cruises I have booked for but not for the prices we paid at this time last year. Indeed not within £400.00.

There is always a chance of a deal but you will have no choice of cabin, size of dining table or sitting.

Why take the risk????

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Re the special offers

Two weeks ago, I noticed a price of under £1000 from a TA for my next cruise (I sail on Sunday) - at the 100% single supplement currently in force for that sailing, that would still be under £2000:eek: (assuming of course solo booking were still being taken)

A year ago (booking opening day) I booked at 60% single supplement and paid quite a bit more than £2000!:(

As Dai says, I did get to pick my dining sitting and cabin, but it does seem a little unfair.:rolleyes:

Don't you just find its the hardest thing to not read the offers when they come in - my eyes just zoom in on 'Jewels of the Adriatic' :D

We got a letter from P&O last week offering us the opportunity to stay on the Ventura on the 4th July (when we finish our 2 week Baltic cruise) at a heavily discounted rate.

We dismissed it because we already have our air fares booked home anyway and ........its the Canaries.

Archived