How can cruise lines control ridiculous expectations?

UCFKnight85

You were p####d off because you missed Jamaica because of a storm?

You bet they could have made it??? So you know more about sailing than the captain?

How were you being ripped off? Did they not feed you, clean your room, provide entertainment etc., and furthermore, keep you safe while skipping the port?

I really despise comments like this. I think the Captain should have absolute authority when sailing his vessel in emergency situations but it doesn't hurt for us to watch for trends on how things are handled and if they are being handled to satisfy the bottom line.

BTW:this from Carnival's 3/21/08 earnings analysis

“Although our strong revenue growth is expected to be offset by a forecasted 45% increase in fuel prices for the year, we still expect higher earnings per share than in 2007. This speaks volumes about our ability to weather difficult economic times, as well as, these extraordinary increases in fuel costs,” added Arison. source

matj2000 - I get what you are saying. Wasn't there a transatlantic ship (QM2?) that cancelled all the ports of call before the left port and didn't tell anyone until they were at sea?

Read all the posts of the guy I quoted, He was NOT on this cruise, he was mad because on his RCI cruise Jamaica was replaced with Key West so he felt the Conquest captian should have done this also.

I felt the captain did NOT do anything wrong- he did what he should have done- as far as actions to the Conquest guy-especially when this guy said he would incite a "riot" which is in essence a terrorist threat.

I already said all this in a previous post. Next time you need to read the whole thread and not just one post I made-if you had- you would have known I was telling him that since he felt RCI was so much better then Carnival-he should stay on RCI and away from Carnival-and in case you can't read between the lines, when you also take my previous posts in context- and look at the WHOLE picture- I was being sarcastic.

First, I never saw that this was a safety issue. It seems an employee got sick and needed to be airlifted off the ship and the captain didn't think there was enough time to make the port. The man didn't try to insight a riot, he was miffed, rightly or wrongly, because a portion of his vacation that he counted on was interrupted. Yes, we should all read our documents but cruises cost money that many do not come by easily. The captain had every right to make his decision but it does not make the man a bad guy because he was disappointed. We all deal with our anger in the wrong ways but I see his point. I indeed will be very disappointed if we miss a port on my first cruise. Flame away. This seems to be a losing battle for this man on this board.

WE were on the Conquest newyears eve cruise this year and we chose to stay on the ship when we docked in Caymans the weather was not great and we had very rough seas... the people that got on the tenders were very sick for hours stuck out in them in the rough sea !! Not for me !! I would rather skip a port than be sick ! But as you can see they made their own choice can`t blame the captian for that one !!!:eek:

The cruise industry in general is not selling you a vacation to a specific destination. They are selling you a long boat ride trip. Your cruise fare is to pay for room and board, food and the right to use all of those fun extras on the ship. When you read your contract you realize you will most probably get to stop off in some great ports and see some of the country. They do not guarantee this it's just a highly likely situation. If not, they owe you nothing! You still have use of everything you paid for and they guaranteed you would get. Where is the problem of understanding this? If seeing a specific port is that important to you you should do a destination vacation and not a cruise... guaranteed you'll get there.

To start a petition or incite a mutiny on a ship has to be the ultimate in unacceptable behavior. If this man had 500+ signatures on it just goes to show how many people on this ship should've just stayed home. I feel like my rights as a cruise passenger have been violated many times by other rude and obnoxious passengers. Do I get to start a petition against these people in hopes that the captain will throw them off at the next port? These people are infringing on my paid for cruise. If I can't get rid of the chair hogs, throw off the insufferably rude butt heads and tell off the people who cut in front of me in line why should missing a port that was never guaranteed in the first place take precident over my guarantee of having a great stress free vacation on the ship I paid for?

Bottom line- the guy was wrong and I think I speak for a lot of people who say we are horrified at his actions and wish Carnival as well as the other cruise lines alot of luck in satisfying people who are obviously not going to be made happy no matter what.

I want it all and I want it now[/b]! "Unfortunately too much of that mentality expects to drive the train (or ship) in our society today. The oceans can be a very unforgiving place at times. Fortunately the crews that sail them on a regular basis understand that' date=' especially the Captain's, and I for one appreciate that......:)[/quote']

Remember Veruca Salt? (Willy Wonka...) Seems there are entire ships full of 'em.

First, I never saw that this was a safety issue. It seems an employee got sick and needed to be airlifted off the ship and the captain didn't think there was enough time to make the port. The man didn't try to insight a riot, he was miffed, rightly or wrongly, because a portion of his vacation that he counted on was interrupted. Yes, we should all read our documents but cruises cost money that many do not come by easily. The captain had every right to make his decision but it does not make the man a bad guy because he was disappointed. We all deal with our anger in the wrong ways but I see his point. I indeed will be very disappointed if we miss a port on my first cruise. Flame away. This seems to be a losing battle for this man on this board.

On the Canrival board there are posts from fellow crusiers who were there. They said he THREATENED the captain to insite in his words a "riot". More then one post said this.

Ofcourse maybe these posts lied. Maybe they were no on ship who knows?

I sugest you NOT take a cruise if you are going to be "very disapointed " in missing a port. It happens. It REALLY does. I have missed ports about 3 times in my 13 crusies. (so I guess that makes it a 25% chance by my record) You know you can fly to your destination. Perhaps that would be better for you.

Much the success of the cruise industry is due to marketing their product as "perfect." No hassles, no problems, easy. etc.

So, their success, if you buy my argument, is largely due to raising expectations. This approach seems particularly useful given the current state of air travel. I think the unstated, but clear message is: look, guys, if you want to go the Caribbean you can either fly down there, deal with flight cancellations, real currencies (in a few cases <grin>), etc. or have a hassle-free experience by leaving everything to us.

So, when things bite, they hurt more because they are unexpected. The caveats about possible rerouting due to unstated causes without compensation is in the fine print-- which the sales department does not want you to read; at least not before you pay for the cruise.

Paul

Paul, this is a great post and sums it up beautifully.

... If this man had 500+ signatures on it just goes to show how many people on this ship should've just stayed home. I feel like my rights as a cruise passenger have been violated many times by other rude and obnoxious passengers. Do I get to start a petition against these people in hopes that the captain will throw them off at the next port? These people are infringing on my paid for cruise. If I can't get rid of the chair hogs, throw off the insufferably rude butt heads and tell off the people who cut in front of me in line why should missing a port that was never guaranteed in the first place take precident over my guarantee of having a great stress free vacation on the ship I paid for?

Bottom line- the guy was wrong and I think I speak for a lot of people who say we are horrified at his actions and wish Carnival as well as the other cruise lines alot of luck in satisfying people who are obviously not going to be made happy no matter what.

ITA that the guy was wrong BUT 500 signatures is not proof that he should have stayed home, it means that 499 other people agreed with his point. He didn't understand that his actions were considered inappropriate and he should have known he wasn't going to get immediate satisfaction. BUT on the other hand, I read a lot of fussing about inappropriate behavior of chair hogs but what does anyone do about it? At least this guy was trying to incite change, for better or worse.

On the Canrival board there are posts from fellow crusiers who were there. They said he THREATENED the captain to insite in his words a "riot". More then one post said this.

Ofcourse maybe these posts lied. Maybe they were no on ship who knows?

I sugest you NOT take a cruise if you are going to be "very disapointed " in missing a port. It happens. It REALLY does. I have missed ports about 3 times in my 13 crusies. (so I guess that makes it a 25% chance by my record) You know you can fly to your destination. Perhaps that would be better for you.

Well, I am going to take my cruise and I might very well be very disappointed if we miss a port but I am forewarned that this may happen.

And maybe that man did threaten the captain, I never said the man was right. But I totally understand his point.

Paul, this is a great post and sums it up beautifully.

But, I respectfully ask, does that mean the cruise line now has the power of God?

Can't reasonable adults be expected to realize cruise lines cannot control weather conditions?

I wonder if the complainers that think the cruise line owes them something for what is an event of Mother Nature would think the same, say, at a resort?

What if you went to Hawaii or Miami or the Caribbean and, whoops, it was wind and torrential downpours your whole week there? You can't use the golf course now (it's in the brochure!) or the pool (but they advertise the pool!). Do they now owe you something? I don't think so...:p

Some of the best vacations I've had were when things didn't work out the way we wanted at the beach and we had to spend two or three days hunkered down in our room in crappy weather playing cards and just having fun with each other.

The sense of entitlement and thinking that the entire universe spinning around people and their individual wants has just gotten totally out of control nowadays.

You did it again. This thread is about why some people have ridiculous expectations and are disappointed leading to incidents like the Conquest.

Matj2000 wasn't slamming Carnival - he was giving another example of a ship under the same circumstances that day. He couldn't compare 2 Carnival cruises doing the same itinerary the same day.

He was giving his example of why he had high expectations (because he called Carnival and they said another port would be substituted) and why he was disappointed after learning a RCL ship had substituted a port in the same circumstances (per the topic of the thread). Sheesh.

BUT on the other hand, I read a lot of fussing about inappropriate behavior of chair hogs but what does anyone do about it? At least this guy was trying to incite change, for better or worse.

I agree. Totally passive is as bad as totally aggressive.

I wonder if the complainers that think the cruise line owes them something for what is an event of Mother Nature would think the same, say, at a resort?

What if you went to Hawaii or Miami or the Caribbean and, whoops, it was wind and torrential downpours your whole week there? You can't use the golf course now (it's in the brochure!) or the pool (but they advertise the pool!). Do they now owe you something? I don't think so...:p

Some of the best vacations I've had were when things didn't work out the way we wanted at the beach and we had to spend two or three days hunkered down in our room in crappy weather playing cards and just having fun with each other.

The sense of entitlement and thinking that the entire universe spinning around people and their individual wants has just gotten totally out of control nowadays.

That happened on some friends of mine-on their honeymoon. It rained the whole time and they were stuck in their hotel room-but maybe not so bad! LOL! since they were honeymooning!

Ironically it was Jamaica also!

Well, I am going to take my cruise and I might very well be very disappointed if we miss a port but I am forewarned that this may happen.

And maybe that man did threaten the captain, I never said the man was right. But I totally understand his point.

I am sure you will love your cruise and it will not be the destination but the ship. even if you miss a port I owuld be willing to bet you will want to cruise again.

On our RCCL cruise contract, it explicitly states that the carrier (the ship/line) has the right to deviate from the posted itinerary for any reason, and that it is not liable for any monetary damages/reimbursement for any such deviations. Most people don't read their contracts, so are we really surprised that they are probably the ones to put up a fuss if they don't get what they were expecting?

I have been on Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and Carnival and all contracts read the same. All a person has to do is take 5 minutes and READ THE FINE PRINT!

Yes. I demand that advertising for all products shows unattractive people having a miserable time. Those new car ads should show me in sweatpants cooling my heels in the service department instead of joyfully driving down the highway. Advertising for restaurants should dramatize the wait for tables and the forgotten salad instead of people enjoying themselves with a lovely meal in front of them. And the cruise lines- why, they're the worst! They need to show actual footage of steerage passengers from Ireland in 1848 (well, if only they could find it but maybe a historical re-enactment would work.);)

LOL! :D

Yes, I realize we won't see ads like you describe. No company advertises the downside of its product, nor should they. And I think most reasonable people take advertising with a grain of salt.

I was just thinking out loud about the seeming gap between some peoples' expectations of cruising, perhaps based in part on TV advertising, vs the reality which, as we know, is not quite perfect. Honest, I'm on the side of the cruiselines here. These kinds of incidents are a PR black eye for them, and I'm trying to think of ways they could be avoided in the future.

I've signed contracts in which I was required to initial certain clauses (probably because they've caused trouble in the past). Maybe the Conquest situation would have been avoided if Mr. Troublemaker had had to acknowledge -- in writing beforehand -- his understanding that no port was guaranteed. I know, I know: What a pain in the neck for the 99.9% of cruisers who are somehow able to survive a missed port, but unfortunately, rules are usually crafted to contain that other .1%.

Thank you for your post; you gave me a good chuckle. :)

We decided to alternate land vacations in between our cruises and settled on Cancun in August 2007. Eight days in all-inclusive resorts was right up our alley (or so we thought).......that was until Hurricane Dean decided to show up two days later.

Being holed up in an AI in no way compares to being rerouted on a cruise ship. There was no round-the-clock entertainment, no midnight buffets and no captain to guarantee our safety on land. Although the eye of the storm hit 200 miles south of Cancun in Costa Maya, we endured the hurricane-force winds, wind-driven rain and a city shutdown early in anticipation of the storm.

Did we control our vacation? Absolutely not, but we did make the decision to stay versus going home 6 days early. The storm blew through and 12 hours later the sun was shining and the road crews had already cleaned debris from the streets. Had we gone home WE would have ruined our vacation - not the storm and not the hotel. We gambled and won on this one but I wouldn't want to take those same chances on the water. ;)

LOL! :D

Yes, I realize we won't see ads like you describe. No company advertises the downside of its product, nor should they. And I think most reasonable people take advertising with a grain of salt.

I was just thinking out loud about the seeming gap between some peoples' expectations of cruising, perhaps based in part on TV advertising, vs the reality which, as we know, is not quite perfect. Honest, I'm on the side of the cruiselines here. These kinds of incidents are a PR black eye for them, and I'm trying to think of ways they could be avoided in the future.

I've signed contracts in which I was required to initial certain clauses (probably because they've caused trouble in the past). Maybe the Conquest situation would have been avoided if Mr. Troublemaker had had to acknowledge -- in writing beforehand -- his understanding that no port was guaranteed. I know, I know: What a pain in the neck for the 99.9% of cruisers who are somehow able to survive a missed port, but unfortunately, rules are usually crafted to contain that other .1%.

Thank you for your post; you gave me a good chuckle. :)

You have a good sense of humor- thanks for not taking my little joke the wrong way.

Barb

I agree with the previous posts about the contract. Nobody reads them. I sure don't. I have been on two cruises where ports were canceled due to storms. One was the stop on the Panama Canal trip, just outside the locks on the western end. We all saw the lightning, 15 foot waves, bouncing tenders, and were thankful the stop was canceled. On another from Tampa to New Orleans then Cozumel, big storm, pool furniture thrown about by the winds, etc, the ship gave us free drinks for two hours as compensation. I WAS MORE THAN HAPPY!!!

Yes. I demand that advertising for all products shows unattractive people having a miserable time. Those new car ads should show me in sweatpants cooling my heels in the service department instead of joyfully driving down the highway. Advertising for restaurants should dramatize the wait for tables and the forgotten salad instead of people enjoying themselves with a lovely meal in front of them. And the cruise lines- why, they're the worst! They need to show actual footage of steerage passengers from Ireland in 1848 (well, if only they could find it but maybe a historical re-enactment would work.);)

Thank you for saying what I couldn't quite find the words for.

It's in all the paperwork that the itinerary may change. Some people just enjoy whining. Maybe if they permanantly ban whiners from cruise lines, eventually, it will just be the people that want to have fun.

Archived