Stanley Park

I just received the map of Stanley Park in the mail. Wow is it big! And we only intend on spending a couple hours there. Can anyone give me any ideas of the "stops" or locations that are the highlights?

We will have a car but we were thinking about using the free shuttle thru the park. If we do that, what stops should we get off at and is a couple hours enough time?

I just received the map of Stanley Park in the mail. Wow is it big! And we only intend on spending a couple hours there. Can anyone give me any ideas of the "stops" or locations that are the highlights?

We will have a car but we were thinking about using the free shuttle thru the park. If we do that, what stops should we get off at and is a couple hours enough time?

Well at 1000 acres you could lose a couple of days in it, I have lived in Vancouver all my life and never have seen in all. There are others who will join in on this I am sure, all of whom will have their own favourite spots but mine would include:

Aquarium

Rose Gardens

Brockton Point and Lumberman's Arch

The totem poles

Prospect Point

Siwash Rock

Lost Lagoon

Hi,

I think you would really enjoy Stanley Park.

It is a great idea to leave the car and take the shuttle instead. Driving around the park and finding parking in the park can get pretty frustrating on a nice sunny day.

May I also suggest that instead of taking the shuttle around the park, to take in the sights at a much slower pace? You will, IMHO, get a much better appreciation of it. Perhaps you can walk, bike, or skate the seawall. It will take you about 2 hours of walking at a steady pace to walk around it and you will hit most of the sights putterdude suggested. And if you feel that you’ve had enough walking, you can always hop on the free shuttle.

May I suggest a picnic in the park? Perhaps pick up some sandwiches and pastries from Capers and enjoy it sitting under a tree or on the beach.

Hope that gives you a few more ideas.

P.S. You can actually watch cruise ships go by at prospect point.

Big, but not the biggest. Pacific Spirit Park (which surrounds the University of British Columbia) is nearly twice the size (1800 vs 1000 acres). It's located about 8km (5 miles) SW of Stanley Park.

Hi,

I think you would really enjoy Stanley Park.

It is a great idea to leave the car and take the shuttle instead. Driving around the park and finding parking in the park can get pretty frustrating on a nice sunny day.

Here is the shuttle schedule for 2008:

The shuttle service starts on Tuesday, June 17 and runs daily through Sunday, September 21, 2008 from 10:00 am until 6:30 pm. The special fleet of buses offers frequent (every 12-15 minutes) pick-up service. The Shuttle has 15 specially signed stops hitting the park's most popular attractions and natural highlights.

Unfortunately we will be there the 13th through the 15th and will not have the shuttle service available for us. We will need a car. Now I am just debating if it is best to see Stanley Park on Friday or Saturday.

Great information, thanks so much. We will probably just leave our car at the Times Square Suites where we are staying. I understand its within walking distance of the park....and then we can just use the free shuttle.

Here is a link to the Park's website

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/Parks/parks/stanley/index.htm

[/color]

Unfortunately we will be there the 13th through the 15th and will not have the shuttle service available for us. We will need a car. Now I am just debating if it is best to see Stanley Park on Friday or Saturday.

That is too bad about missing the shuttle.

I am the type of person who likes to avoid crowds, so I would probably go on a Friday. Having said that, however, I would say that mid-June is still not a bad time (sort of) in terms of crowds, so going on a Saturday will probably not be that bad (as long as you get there as early as possible, i.e. by 9 at the latest).

Here's how to get there (in case you have not seen this yet):

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/parks/parks/stanley/gettingthere.htm

Great information, thanks so much. We will probably just leave our car at the Times Square Suites where we are staying. I understand its within walking distance of the park....and then we can just use the free shuttle.

Great idea. You will be on Robson and Denman, so the closest stop to you would be the Lost Lagoon stop, which is not even a 5 minute walk!

.....I think Putterdude has pretty much hit the nail on the head!

You could spend days wandering the trails through that park...as a kid I did!!! There is a plaque somewhere in the park with my name on it....I was a Commissioner on the Vancouver Centennial Commission in 1986...so as cities are want to do....they put all our names on a plaque and planted it somewhere. Never have been able to find it....and I have directions!!!LOL!!!

Pick those things that you are most interested in seeing and use the shuttle.

When I have guests who are short on time, we just walk counterclockwise from the parking lot by the Rowing Club, past the Yacht Club, Totem Poles, 9 O'Clock gun and Brockton Point, over to Lumberman's Arch, and then cut across past the Aquarium. That gives a good view of the tame parts of the park and the view. With kids, we stop to do the train.

Viv

Here's a link to Stanley Park's web site - it should give you some idea of how much time to spend at the various attractions - a new must see now is the storm damaged area around Prospect Point and in particular a walk down the Meerlies trail to Third beach - the destruction from the wind storms in 2006 was massive and this area was the hardest hit - it was nature doing its thing - you now have a whole new landscape view.

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/Parks/parks/stanley/index.htm

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Archived