RCCL or Princess?

dcappa

We've narrowed down our first cruise. So many darn choices! ;)

Both RCCL and Princess have the same itinerary (we are looking at the Western Caribbean). So it's really coming down to a choice between the RCCL Freedom or Ruby Princess.

The Ruby is a new ship. So I'm obviously not having any luck with finding reviews. I've been looking at info on the Emerald Princess as I assume it's similar?

May I get some thoughts from folks who've been on both cruiselines and which they prefer? What about the balcony cabins....is there something that sets one apart from the other that can help me decide?

I've been stearing towards RCCL Freedom, right up to yesterday. But now I've been notified about the Ruby itinerary and wonder if this might be a better choice.

Thank you!

We're doing the same - for 4/11/09 W. Caribbean - are going with the Ruby as we are past passengers with Princess, our kids will be in the same group in the kid's club, and the RP is considerably less $$ than RCI.

I am still shocked, though, our CB cruise from about 2 weeks ago for the same comparable week (Easter week) is over $1k less than the rates I've been offered for 2009 - about 10 different agents. yikes!

How old are you? Do you have children? It seems families with teens like RCI better-but personally I found the Caribbean Princess had a much better "flow" then Mariner fo the Seas. That is important when the ship's PAX number over 3000.

And are headed on our third Princess cruise this fall, all those w/o kids.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on RCCL. We want to try them, but Princess' prices continue to draw us back!

I think you will find the average ages run 35-60. There are activities from morning to night, from very active to sedate. Personally I like to be busy, and frankly I find it hard to get in all the things I want to!

We have always been pleased w/ the food & service; interior/exterior rooms are very well appointed with surprising room for everything. (cozy bathrooms!)

RCCL will probably have more kids at any time of year, if that is an issue.

Otherwise, I think while you will find small differences among cruise lines, I think you will find differences from ship to ship as well. I think you will find that most lines have few differences, there is more the same than different.

Choosing a cruise and cruise line are very confusing for many people. Each line has characteristics that make it unique. Matching you to the right cruise is where the travel professional is valuable. They will ask open ended questions and by analyzing your responses help you to decide what you really desire.

In general you will find a more sedate refined group of people on Princess. Overall service and quality are close but the details are the difference.

Princess had fresh water pools RCI has salt water.

Princess has MUTS RCI does not.

Princess encourages you to bring your favorite wine with you RCI considers it smuggling.

RCI has ice rinks, Princess does not.

RCI has huge promenades, Princess does not.

RCI has Seattle's Best coffee, Princess does not.

Try one this year and the other next year.

Salt water in the pool? Say it isn't so!

On the one and only cruise I was ever on (RCCL in '92) they had salt water in the pool. I thought it was a water conservation thing at that time. I only got in the pool once and wouldn't go in again. The water made my skin feel sticky, then turned it white (not to mention turning my hair to straw). Of course you are going to get this when on the beach and swimming in the water there. But in the pool on the ship?!!! EW.

Salt water in the pool? Say it isn't so!

On the one and only cruise I was ever on (RCCL in '92) they had salt water in the pool. I thought it was a water conservation thing at that time. I only got in the pool once and wouldn't go in again. The water made my skin feel sticky, then turned it white (not to mention turning my hair to straw). Of course you are going to get this when on the beach and swimming in the water there. But in the pool on the ship?!!! EW.

Thought I had heard that the RCL Freedom Class ships went to fresh water pools. Not sure though. Positive the Princess ships are fresh water. I'm with you on the salt water pools, not a big fan.

Archived