gifts for the children???

stunned

Does anyone have any suggestions of small relatively inexpensive but fun and useful and easily packable gifts that I could bring on our cruise to give the children we meet in San Juan and the other Southern Islands? I have always thought this is something I would like to do while visiting these Islands because the children always come up to us asking for dollar, but I think beyond that a gift would be nice. I'm open to all your ideas. I'm not wealthy, but giving is a way of thanking for sharing their beautiful paradises with us and letting the young know we care.

Always keep in mind the appropriateness of this...

In many cases these kids should be in school and not be in a area selling or asking for money. I was on a cruise and Mexico was a stop. We were all asked to not buy items from the children we would meet as they should be in school at that time, not there selling items. Not sure when your cruise, but if it's during a school period and generally Monday to Friday during the daytime it might not be a good idea to reward them with a gift for not being in school. Just my thoughts on it.

Candy like at Halloween comes to mind as a good inexpensive gift that children might enjoy.

Does anyone have any suggestions of small relatively inexpensive but fun and useful and easily packable gifts that I could bring on our cruise to give the children we meet in San Juan and the other Southern Islands? I have always thought this is something I would like to do while visiting these Islands because the children always come up to us asking for dollar, but I think beyond that a gift would be nice. I'm open to all your ideas. I'm not wealthy, but giving is a way of thanking for sharing their beautiful paradises with us and letting the young know we care.

Other than a few really lost souls, you will not see people begging in SJ. It is a very proud culture. Though it is a lovely thought, I would not give things to the kids you see in PR (it might be taken the wrong way).

Other islands that are more in need, you might consider school or education related items- pencils/pens, erasers or those little books with word find games etc.

Thanks for all the info, we are in SJ on Saturday and Sunday so kids would be out of school on those days, but I don't want to have it taken the wrong way, so will for go it in SJ. I like the idea of school supplies for the other Islands. I won't do candy because I don't want to contribute to promoting poor dental hygiene (I run a dental clinic), so might bring toothbrushes and the word games booklets.

Archived