!!Change of Itinerary!!SPIRIT**10/16/2004

Goofballs

I was just notified by my TA of change of itinerary for 10/16 Spirit cruise. Ixtappa/Z-tejo was dropped as a stop for "operational reasons." The new itinerary calls for a 5:30 PM arrival in Acapulco on Tuesday with an overnight stay, and departing Wednesday at 4:00 pm.

I can't complain but I must admit I'm a little disappointed. I was looking forward to visiting Z-tejo and maybe having the lobster at El Gideon in Ixtappa.

What, if any effect will this have on shipboard activity, meals, shows, etc?? Any changes. Can passengers come and go this entire time or does Carnival have "curfews"?

Any ideas out there how we can take advantage of more time in Acapulco??

The letter I have in front of me, e-mailed by my TA, addresses only the 10/16/04 cruise. It is dated September 30, 2004 and is signed by Vicki L. Freed, Sr. VP of Sales and Marketing.

It doesn't reference any other sail dates, though I wouldn't expect it to since I am booked on just the 10/16 cruise. I imagine someone could call Carnival and get the story. I will try this weekend but can't now.

If I can figure out how to do it I will attach a copy of the ltr. If it's not attached to this post than I could not figur it out.

Carnival Ltr.txt

Does anyone know if we will get the $25 for the missed port or if they will refunded the port charges?

Not looking for anything else, I am happy about the extra time in Acapulco, hey I'll be on a cruise. But just wondering?

From Carnival web site:

Mexican Riviera

8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera

Sat San Diego, CA 9:00pm

Sun Fun Day At Sea

Mon Fun Day At Sea

Tue Acapulco, Mexico 5:30pm

Wed Acapulco, Mexico 4:00pm

Thu Manzanillo, Mexico 9:00am 6:00pm

Fri Fun Day At Sea

Sat Fun Day At Sea

Sun San Diego, CA 7:00am View Shore Excursions

Does the cruise line reserve the right to change stops and cite "operational issues", as they have in this case?? Would this be a basis for me cancelling and receiving a refund?

The overnight stay in Acapulco does nothing for me. I have no desire for a short evening shore excursion, sleep on the ship, and have another shore excursion the next day to the same place. Others may, but I don't. I was really looking forward to the stop in Ixtappa/Z-nejo.

I'm considering contacting my TA and having him cancel my reservation. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can I expect a refund? Or will they offer free wine and a fruit basket. What am I entitled to?

The more I think about it the less I want to spend 8 days on a cruise with two stops.

Goofballs, I'm thinking the same way you are...8 day cruise-2 stops...doesn't compute, especially when we're losing 5 hours off of the front of it to start with. I just talked to my TA and by a little push, he got Carnival to say they would cancel it and refund me. My problem is, I'm going with my two sisters, who have never cruised before and they don't want to cancel. I was having visions of spending 8 nites at the Hilton Hawaiian Village instead of the cruise. And Carnival doing nothing for anyone sucks.....all we gained was a sleepover and a few hrs. We had plans in Ixtapa, too! Chud

Chud,

I followed some of the other threads you posted to so was aware of your trip. Sorry you're disappointed too.

Some will undoubtedly cancel, especially if Carnival will give refunds without conditions. As a result you may be able to upgrade to a nicer cabin and maybe some shipboard credit. Sure, it's not lobster at El Gideon or a stroll through the old town of Z-nejo, but this way your sisters still cruise and you are able to live a bit higher on the hog at Carnival's expense.

I want to keep things in perspective because we are still going to be on an excellent cruise, but as I said before, it's disappointing. I will talk to my wife tonight before calling Carnival and see what my options are, but if they offer a refund I may take it.

Does anyone have any idea what type of "operational issue" would cause Carnival to cancel a stop? Is the term "operational issue" a term frequently used in the cruise industry? (I'm a newbie) Are other lines with an Ixtapa/Z-nejo stop on 10/20/04 canceling too?

I keep telling myself it'll be an excellent cruise also, I have fun no matter where I go, I'm just a little depressed right now. But still... a cruise, is a cruise, is a cruise!!!!:D

But if you want to cancel, (which I was going to do, before talking to sis) they were only giving me about an hr to do it. Yes, they were going to give me a full refund. I don't think they could hold you to that hour, because people have to generally check with spouses etc...before they make a decision like that. We'll be on the ship...and we're GOING to have fun dammit!! :D:D Just need a little attitude adjustment right now. Chud

We, too, are going to make the best of the situation.

I called Carnival and they said the same -- that we can cancel for a full refund, but no comps, upgrades or shipboard credits. (They didn't mention the hour window period and I don't know how they could hold you to a small window period anyway. Either you can cancel or you cannot).

The operator read the notes and said the "operational issue" is simply the port contacted Carnival and said they had no room for the SPIRIT on that day. (?)

Well, I'm sure it will still be great. A little different, but great! It will be what we make it.

See ya there.

Thanks Bonstersd, That's exactly what I now have in mind! Roll out in the morning and spend day 2 at the beach. WE'll have fun anywhere they take us, as long as it's hot!

Goofballs, come on over to our rollcall, we could use your imput. We've already lost one couple to a reschedule because of this.

Chud

There are no other Cruise Ships in port, so maybe Cargo ships? Maybe pier work? Last time I was in this port we had to tender, so maybe they are working on the tender pier? Just hard to tell. So fire up the blender and pour me a fancy umbrela drink, Acapulco, here we come!!!

Where to hell is DERF when we need him ? :D

Am considering this cruise also, but not without Ixtapa and Zihuantanejo (2 prime jewels of this itinerary). Think "10" and Bo Derek just bouncing down the surf line. :D

However, a $50 refund for missed ports is a draw, I guess. Maybe Carnival will throw in the Wet T-Shirt Contest as an activity on this one. :D

"We'll laugh, and smoke, and cuss, and joke, and have a glass of wine"..J.B.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't know we were not going to Xpata until we were on the ship and sailing away from San Diego..As I said before two and 1/2 days at sea, two ports then two more sea days is a bit much. $100 was taken off our sign and sail receipt.

Archived