Glacier hike and climb excursions

Amy G

I read about a glacier hike and climb tour and was wondering who else has done this in Juneau and what company you have used. We have never climbed before, but we are in shape so we are not afraid of a long hike. Can you offers some suggestions and advice?

• 2 weeks later...
www.beyondak.com is one of the ones that does hikes to/on glaciers in Juneau. I'd check out their website and see what they say for health "requirements" but I think only they expect that you can walk 6 miles. We signed up for it and I'm beside myself with excitement. I have a very tolerant husband :)

The glacier trek and climb is not an easy 6 mile walk. Parts of it are very hard going. I did it with a family member who is a professional guide. (He owed me a big favor.) He was not thrilled about doing this with me. It was just the 2 of us on our trek.

I've done a lot of walking and non-technical climbing in Alaska (non-technical means without gear). I move slowly but am used to covering the miles. I am used to being outside in all sorts of weather.

Parts of this trek/climb are cold and you are exposed to a lot of wind.

We also saw bears which for some people is a very good experience. Personally I don't like being around bears when I'm afoot.

This outing can be a very good experience for the right people. As you will be with a group you have to keep up with the pace of the group. You will need clothing that breathes so that you don't get overheated and are dripping with sweat and then get chilled. Obviously proper foot wear is in order. You will need a hat, the right gloves and sunscreen.

I think a couple of times my family member muttered about being tired of hauling an old cow up the mountain, but I said worse about him. After it was over we agreed that his debt to me was paid in full.

it is important to remember if you have booked in to a trip and will be part of a group of random people, your pace and how far you go will vary. If you are with a fast paced group, you will see and do more. A slower group, you will do and see less. You pay the same amount of money in each case.

We're booked this summer for a Level 2 trek with Northstar Trekking in Juneau. It's about a 2 hour hike but you have to take a helicopter out to the glacier so that makes it pricier.

They also offer Level 1 and Level 3 hikes for those who want something easier or more challenging. If you go to their website and look up their trip descriptions, you can view photos of each trip from a link at the bottom of their page. They have some amazing pictures and I'm really looking forward it. - SF

We are booked with www.beyondak.com for June 4 on a private glacier trek. I talked to Becky and she is extremely nice and gives great info. She said that we need to be doing some indurance training before we get there. Told me that my 2 miles per day walking wasn't enough. There is a video of the trip on Wild Weekend family adventures. Looks awesome!!

Becky is correct! I have been a avid walker all my life and although I walk slowly and carefully due to old injuries, I am plenty strong. I don't get a lot of points for style.

I always walk with a Leki walking stick. I used a point on it that is made for rough use.

When it is wet and slippery it takes more effort to keep moving.

Once I saw the bears, I did speed up!

The return trip going downhill was harder for me than the uphill as it really made my knee scream. Thoughts of bears kept me going.

I did not wear heavy, old fashioned hiking boots, but a new style light weigh trekking style that protected my ankles. I had on one pair of wool socks that I am used to wearing. This is not the time or place to try out a new sort of socks or boots. I had a small camera in my pocket and didn't attempt to carry any sort of bag. I had the right clothes that did breathe and I didn't get all sweaty and wet. That can result in terrible chills.

You are much better off on a private trek. That is very good planning. You are more in control of how much you get done. Have a ball!

Some from our Family Group have Pre-Reserved the 'Heli Glacier & Trek' from Juneau w/Princess @$399 pp

They have chosen the '2 hr Trek ' on the Glacier & the information says you must be able to walk 2 miles??

Since we have pre-reserved all 10 places for the excursion as outlined for that particular time - the 'Tour' is now 'waitlisted' on the Princess Port Excursion site.

In effect, I am hoping this will be a 'Private' tour as we have reserved all the 10 spaces available for that particular tour time..

Has anyne done this Heli Glacier Landing and Trek w/Princess?

I'd appreciate any any comments as to conditions and endurance needed?

We are on the Star Aug. 3 sailing.

Thanks...........:D

We're booked this summer for a Level 2 trek with Northstar Trekking in Juneau. It's about a 2 hour hike but you have to take a helicopter out to the glacier so that makes it pricier.

They also offer Level 1 and Level 3 hikes for those who want something easier or more challenging. If you go to their website and look up their trip descriptions, you can view photos of each trip from a link at the bottom of their page. They have some amazing pictures and I'm really looking forward it. - SF

Just went to the Northstar web site - the Level 2 Tour looks equivalent to what we pre-reserved w/Princess... :rolleyes:

Would you mind telling me how the cost compares? What is their policy regarding cancellation??

I think with 10 - we would qualify for a 'Private Tour w/Northstar as well - and maybe we could save some $$??

Thanks for your help...........:)

Just went to the Northstar web site - the Level 2 Tour looks equivalent to what we pre-reserved w/Princess... :rolleyes:

Would you mind telling me how the cost compares? What is their policy regarding cancellation??

I think with 10 - we would qualify for a 'Private Tour w/Northstar as well - and maybe we could save some $$??

Thanks for your help...........:)

I just went to the cruise personalizer and looked up the Princess excursion that I think you are talking about and it does sound very similar. We are paying $379 through Northstar so that's not really a huge price difference.

I noticed on some of the other Princess excurions that they have links to the websites for the company they are contracting with but not for this glacier hiking one for some reason. I guess they want you to book through them and not go independent. - SF

• 2 months later...
We are booked with www.beyondak.com for June 4 on a private glacier trek. I talked to Becky and she is extremely nice and gives great info. She said that we need to be doing some indurance training before we get there. Told me that my 2 miles per day walking wasn't enough. There is a video of the trip on Wild Weekend family adventures. Looks awesome!!

Islasisterchick- how was your trip? What sort of pants did you wear?

For those of you who have gone on a trek and climb- what did you do with your camera? Was a backpack provided or should we bring our own?

I kept my camera in its case around my belt loop, but make sure it's a small one since you will have to put on harnesses that will go around your waist and crotch (sorry, don't know how to say that less graphically).

You can bring your own backpack but the ones they supply are best.

My camera is not small. Perhaps it will fit in the backpack?

It will fit in the backpack. I have a Nikon D40 and I brought both the original lens and my telephoto lens and it fit just fine... there was room for an extra coat and probably more in the backpack they gave me.

It was an exhausting but amazing hike (of course, it rained until about the last half mile back to the van). The rock climbing is a lot of scrambling and can be pretty slick, the guide said, even when dry.

I highly recommend hiking boots with ankle support and pants that will dry easily. We didn't use the rain pants they offered, since it wasn't that cold out. We did use the rain coats and we stayed REALLY dry. I'm considering buying a similar model when we get home.

I brought a winter hat and gloves, a fleece jacket, a windbreaker. I wore exercise pants, one of the quick-dry tops, a long sleeve shirt, the windbreaker, and their raincoat (which does have a hood!).

Archived