Help! Review the NCL GEM please

nicknish

The biggest difference you will find is in the food and food service. NCL has freestyle dining, which means you just pick where you want to eat and when and go. RCI has set dinner times and assigned tables. We don't care for the freestyle dining--it's like going to a restaurant on a Saturday night. They have limited hours that they are open, and we always had to wait for a table, sometimes a really long time. The service is not personal like it is when you have the same waiter every night and, in our opinion, the food isn't as good. On the 2 NCL cruises that we've done, we wound up eating in the buffet the last half of the cruise. But that may vary from ship to ship even within the same cruise line.

As far as specific ships go, there are tons of reviews on CC, so just do some reading up on both of them. As for opinions on the RCI and NCL boards about those specific ships, and compare.

If you go to the individual cruise lines boards, NCL for looking for info on the Gem, and RCI for the Splendour, you'll find specific reviews etc.

I've sailed NCL, not the Gem specifically, but have never experienced a wait etc. like above poster. Not to say it doesn't happen, and that they didn't experience it, but it all depends on how full the ship is, what time of year you're sailing, etc. I tend to cruise in the more quieter times such as the fall and beginning of the year before spring break starts. So maybe I've just been lucky.:)

Both cruise lines will offer you a great chance to have a great time. And as above poster said the main difference will be the dining style. With NCL you can choose where and when you want to eat. On RCI you have a choice of 6:00 or 8:00.

When I try to decide for myself I decide on itinerary, and because I like NCL and freestyle, I like my vacation to be on my terms:) , for me NCL will always win out if the itineraries and pricing are similar. But that's a personal choice for me. I think you'd have a great time on either one.

They have limited hours that they are open, and we always had to wait for a table, sometimes a really long time.

I don't quite understand this part of the post as don't all ship restaurants have limited hours? I mean, can you walk into a restaurant at 11 pm on an RCCL ship and get dinner? I didn't think you could but maybe I'm mistaken.

NCL dining rooms are open 5 till 10 pm every evening for dinner. One main dining room is open every day (including port days) for breakfast and lunch. There is also a cafe that is open when all other dining facilities are closed. And of course the buffet. All of the previous plus room service and at least one other dining location are included in the price of the cruise. In addition there are several specialty restaurants available that do have a surcharge and require reservations if you would like to use them.

Archived