Paying By Travler Check

LOWTYD

I've paid my account balance with travelers checks before. I did give them a credit card to open my account, but paid down the balance the the night before disembarkation. They never charged me for paying with travelers checks...and never for cashing them either (although they may limit how many you can cash per day).

We took a few thousand dollars worth of traveler's checks on our first cruise and they would not take them. I had to use my debit card. Same thing second cruise on Jewel. I didn't even bother to inquire on the Dawn.

I've never done it, but I know normally you can cash travelers checks at the pursers desk. If need be, take a little cash just to open the account, cash some at the pursers desk later then post the cash to your account. I suppose that would work rather than having to use credit or debit cards.

Here's another little trick. NCL does not allow you to pay for Shore Excursions in advance. However, they do allow you to total them up then buy (and pay for in advance) an on-board credit which covers the cost and lowers your overall shipboard bill before you even board the ship. Since our shore excursions total close to $1500.00 on our up-coming British Isles cruise that is exactly what I'm going to do so I don't have a heart attack when I see the final bill. (Besides, my bar bill for two weeks is going to be horrendous enough.)

Here's another little trick. NCL does not allow you to pay for Shore Excursions in advance. However, they do allow you to total them up then buy (and pay for in advance) an on-board credit which covers the cost and lowers your overall shipboard bill before you even board the ship. Since our shore excursions total close to $1500.00 on our up-coming British Isles cruise that is exactly what I'm going to do so I don't have a heart attack when I see the final bill. (Besides, my bar bill for two weeks is going to be horrendous enough.)

That is a great idea. I am leaving tomorrow on the GEM so I don't know if it's too late but good to know for future cruises. (DID I SAY I AM LEAVING TOMORROW? YEAH!!)

thanks

That is a great idea. I am leaving tomorrow on the GEM so I don't know if it's too late but good to know for future cruises. (DID I SAY I AM LEAVING TOMORROW? YEAH!!)

thanks

I didn't realize you were leaving tomorrow. Have a great cruise on the Gem. I hope you enjoy the ship. We really loved it even though it was only for a two nighter. Did you say you're leaving tomorrow?

We paid our final bill with Travelers Cheques... some weeks later the credit card bill comes and we find we had been charged there as well. In a panic we call the cruise line and she says, oh don't worry, that is just a mistake, they are supposed to have just put a hold on, she will phone and fax Visa immediately and it will be taken off! Very nice lady. The next day I phoned back and was assured that it was taken care of so my husband went ahead and shredded the receipt along with everything else that we needed to get rid of! I know... STUPID!!!! We sincerely thought it was over. The next statement comes and it is still on there and to make a long story short, we fought and fought and never got our $$$ back! Even though we came up with copies of the travelers cheques that correspond with the amount of our bill (7 X $100 for a $680 bill), and it was done the night before we got off the ship, there was no proof that it was to cover the bill. We tried talking to everyone from the cruise line and our credit card and got nowhere. We realize it is our fault but it is still very frustrating that they won't even meet us half way! However you pay, keep your receipt for a loooong time. Of course you probably all know that!

Wow, I wish NCL was consistant becuase I don't know what to now. I guess contestant # 3 wins.

Is that me? Did I win? Did I win?:D

Is my prize a space in your suitcase so you can smuggle me along?:D :D Have a wonderful time!!!!

Just a note on the above post about paying with travelers checks and them billing the card also. I suppose if you open with cash they won't have your credit card info to begin with, so I imagine this would avoid that type of mix-up.

Again, have a grand time and come back and tell us all about it!

Maybe it is just me, but I think credit cards work the best. There are repeated stories about issues with debit cards. Some stories about issues with cash. Very few with credit cards. Not perfect, but they seem to work the best.

And, if you pay as soon as you get home. NO COST. NO WORRY.

I had to use my debit card. Same thing second cruise on Jewel. I didn't even bother to inquire on the Dawn.

Are you quite sure about that ie NCL will accept debit cards and not insist on credit cards?

Yes. Yes they do.

There are numerous stories about folks that use them, and then are surprised with the "hold" on their account.

I know lots of people love them, but I have no use for them myself.

Maybe it is just me, but I think credit cards work the best. There are repeated stories about issues with debit cards. Some stories about issues with cash. Very few with credit cards. Not perfect, but they seem to work the best.

And, if you pay as soon as you get home. NO COST. NO WORRY.

I don't have a credit card; I don't want a credit card. If I have the cash to pay, I believe they should accept that. TC's mean you've already paid the money; they should accept them as well. I really dislike credit card companies.:(

Is that me? Did I win? Did I win?:D

Is my prize a space in your suitcase so you can smuggle me along?:D :D Have a wonderful time!!!!

Just a note on the above post about paying with travelers checks and them billing the card also. I suppose if you open with cash they won't have your credit card info to begin with, so I imagine this would avoid that type of mix-up.

Again, have a grand time and come back and tell us all about it!

You just made me laugh. Yes, contestant #3. If you can find room in my suitcase (good luck with that!) ten you can come!:D

I don't have a credit card; I don't want a credit card. If I have the cash to pay, I believe they should accept that. TC's mean you've already paid the money; they should accept them as well. I really dislike credit card companies.:(

They take cash without any problem, other than you might not agree with the amount they want "on deposit. Other than that, cash works great.

I think the Travelors check thing has to do with some fraud out there. YOU might know it is paid for, but do they?

As to credit cards, I would never travel without at least two of them. They are great. Unless of course you are one of those people that think they do not have to be paid, ASAP. Credit cards make life so easy.

You just made me laugh. Yes, contestant #3. If you can find room in my suitcase (good luck with that!) ten you can come!:D

Hey, I thought I was next in line to Macop! I get teased about it everyday, here in my own home... Don't go trying to confuse me!:p

We had no problem paying our balance with a mixture of traveller's cheques, cash, and the rest on a credit card in March on the Jewel. We did give them a credit card upon embarkation. I know if you pay with a debit card, they do put a "hold" on your account. Possibly for $500? Not sure of the amount.

Archived