Alaskan "Gift" Basket

mp006

Can anyone help me with ideas for a gift basket I'm putting together for my son and his fiance, who are getting married June 21st and honeymooning in Alaska this July? I'm not the creative type, so having trouble deciding what to include. So far, I have only come up with "Mileposts 2008", and Northern Lights Coupon Book.

Any other suggestions in keeping with the "Alaskan" theme?

Gift certificates are always great but if its more of a nice thing go and have a great time then to the basket add :

gloves, hot chocolate packets (they charge for hot chocolate on Alaska cruises), small bottle of Baileys -great to add to the hot chocolate, extra digital card for the camera - they will take a Ton of photos, bungee cord to hold balcony door open --if they have a balcony room they will be on their balcony in glacier bay but you hold the door open to listen to the natural history person on the tv, small binoculars (big 5 has great deals wait for a sale), travel size mini umbrellas, mini poncho's in event of rain on tours great size for a backpack - don't open you might not get it back into the holder well that's all I can think of for now good luck Karon:D ,

Can anyone help me with ideas for a gift basket I'm putting together for my son and his fiance, who are getting married June 21st and honeymooning in Alaska this July? I'm not the creative type, so having trouble deciding what to include. So far, I have only come up with "Mileposts 2008", and Northern Lights Coupon Book.

Any other suggestions in keeping with the "Alaskan" theme?

You said they are honeymooning in Alaska but you didn't say if they are doing a land vacation, cruise or cruise tour...Speaking as someone who lives in Alaska - it makes a big difference! WIth more information I would be happy to give ideas!

Joni

Gift certificates are always great but if its more of a nice thing go and have a great time then to the basket add :

gloves, hot chocolate packets (they charge for hot chocolate on Alaska cruises), small bottle of Baileys -great to add to the hot chocolate, extra digital card for the camera - they will take a Ton of photos, bungee cord to hold balcony door open --if they have a balcony room they will be on their balcony in glacier bay but you hold the door open to listen to the natural history person on the tv, small binoculars (big 5 has great deals wait for a sale), travel size mini umbrellas, mini poncho's in event of rain on tours great size for a backpack - don't open you might not get it back into the holder well that's all I can think of for now good luck Karon:D ,

You said they charge for Hot Choc. on Alaska Cruises, yuck....they don't have the pkges at the bev. stations? Thanks

You said they are honeymooning in Alaska but you didn't say if they are doing a land vacation, cruise or cruise tour...Speaking as someone who lives in Alaska - it makes a big difference! WIth more information I would be happy to give ideas!

Joni

Land tour only-they are flying in and out of Anchorage, and renting a car through Avis to stay in Anchorage, Seward, and Wrangell-St. Elias. They are very outdoorsy-love hiking, scenery, and wildlife.

Great ideas so far, Thank you!

Land tour only-they are flying in and out of Anchorage, and renting a car through Avis to stay in Anchorage, Seward, and Wrangell-St. Elias. They are very outdoorsy-love hiking, scenery, and wildlife.

Great ideas so far, Thank you!

1) If they are driving themselves around a great book called "The Milepost" that tells what attractions/features you are passing (or not) mile by mile is a great gift! We keep a new one in our RV every year and we have lived here over 10 years.

2) Binoculars and cameras (the new pocketsize digital video cameras are amazing and many take still pictures as well!)

3) Raingear and umbrellas

4) Organic bug dope (our state bird is the mosquito)

5) If they are hikers a "telescoping hiking stick" is a great gift...a few even double as mono-pods for your camera or binoculars.

6) Great Alaskan munchies for road trips include Smoked Salmon or various Jerky types (Salmon, Reindeer, Moose).

7) Fleece Vests are great for layering if things turn chilly.

8) There are various books about "Alaskan slang" or other language and history reading - you might google "Alaskana" for ideas.

If I think of anything else I will gladly be back to post more...but this would be a dandy basket! Useful and FUN- I hope this helps!

Joni

A gift certificate to REI or similar. If they are big outdoorsy type, they might be very particular about their equipment and clothing.

I love the little "instant" hand warmer things too. Nice socks for hikers.

You can spend a lot of money putting a basket together but a gift certificate always wins hand down in my book. A few tokens to set the theme and the rest they can pick on their own.

Don't know if they celebrate Christmas but an Alaskan themed ornament for their first Christmas. How about something in photography? developing?

A gift certificate to REI or similar. If they are big outdoorsy type, they might be very particular about their equipment and clothing.

I love the little "instant" hand warmer things too. Nice socks for hikers.

I'll second the 'hothands' warmers as well as SmartWool socks !!!!

My DW wasn't convinced about the socks until I bought her a pair. She -always- has cold feet but these kept hers warm without being too hot or sweaty! For some less-expensive ideas throw in some power bars or a bag of trail mix (GORP?).

Cheers

Chris in VA

Archived