Booking through TA vs RCL

kmmi45

We're looking at booking our first cruise for April 2009. We're thinking about the RCL Liberty Western Caribbean in a Jr. Suite. We have two children ages 10 and 7. What are the advantages for booking through a TA vs RCL directly? I think I need to move on this fairly soon.

We're looking at booking our first cruise for April 2009. We're thinking about the RCL Liberty Western Caribbean in a Jr. Suite. We have two children ages 10 and 7. What are the advantages for booking through a TA vs RCL directly? I think I need to move on this fairly soon.
My suggestion is to:

1. Select and book your cruise directly with RCI.

2. Keep the booking with RCI until just before final payment. This allows you more direct control for handling price increases, discounts, stateroom changes, dinner seatings, etc. etc. In the meantime, find a good travel agent--one that provides both good service and freebies/onboard credits.

3. Just before final payment, transfer the booking to your travel agent. Remember, once a travel agent has your booking, you cannot take care of anything directly with the cruise line anymore--you have to go through the travel agent. Even though my TA is excellent, I like having control over my booking, and find doing things through my TA to be inconvenient. Thus I want the booking with my travel agent for as short a period as possible which is the 70 days before we sail.

4. Make final payment via your travel agent.

This method gives you maximum control over the booking for the longest period of time. And your travel agent will still get his/her full commission.

Find a good travel agent and don't book with RCL and then transfer it. A good travel agent should have your best interest. The cruiseline will just be like a call center. While their employees are wonderful, you will never get the same person twice. You will be a reservation number instead of a name.

The travel agent will have as much, if not more information in regard to specials. The travel agent will look at all the cruise line fares.

Sometimes they have the information before the reservationists do.

Hope this helps.

Sharon

Find a good travel agent and don't book with RCL and then transfer it. A good travel agent should have your best interest. The cruiseline will just be like a call center. While their employees are wonderful, you will never get the same person twice. You will be a reservation number instead of a name.

The travel agent will have as much, if not more information in regard to specials. The travel agent will look at all the cruise line fares.

Sometimes they have the information before the reservationists do.

Hope this helps.

Sharon

Of the thousands of travel agents, many of them are not very good-- they're not looking out for you, they're looking out for their commissions. Nobody can protect your "best interests" better than you! Thus, I definitely like the ability to deal directly with the cruiseline and not go through an often-half-motivated intermediary. This assumes, of course, that you are willing to do your own homework, such as watching for price decreases, watching for sales, savings certificates, etc. etc. If you're not willing to do the work, then you would probably be better off with a good travel agent (if you can find one).

The problem I have with travel agents is that the way they are compensated, and thus their motives, are not aligned with your best interests. For example, if there is a price decrease or discount certificate, a travel agent (who earns her living on commissions) is notgoing to be very motivated to get you the savings. Yes, a good agent will handle this professionally and with a smile, but can you really ever be sure? IMO, it's best to keep control over your booking for as long as possible, and transfer the booking at the last possible moment. Just make sure you're doing your homework and you know what's going on!

Of the thousands of travel agents, many of them are not very good-- they're not looking out for you, they're looking out for their commissions. Nobody can protect your "best interests" better than you! Thus, I definitely like the ability to deal directly with the cruiseline and not go through an often-half-motivated intermediary. This assumes, of course, that you are willing to do your own homework, such as watching for price decreases, watching for sales, savings certificates, etc. etc. If you're not willing to do the work, then you would probably be better off with a good travel agent (if you can find one).

The problem I have with travel agents is that the way they are compensated, and thus their motives, are not aligned with your best interests. For example, if there is a price decrease or discount certificate, a travel agent (who earns her living on commissions) is notgoing to be very motivated to get you the savings. Yes, a good agent will handle this professionally and with a smile, but can you really ever be sure? IMO, it's best to keep control over your booking for as long as possible, and transfer the booking at the last possible moment. Just make sure you're doing your homework and you know what's going on!

Agree 100%! In order for a TA to make a living, it would be in their best interest not to let a client know about rate decreases. No one is going to look out for your family more than you.

I have had some very shady dealings with TA's. One in particular that cost me thousands because of something a TA did.

So now I book directly with the cruiselines. And I book my own airfare too. And if I choose to transfer it to a TA, then I do it after final payment.

So now I book directly with the cruiselines. And I book my own airfare too. And if I choose to transfer it to a TA, then I do it after final payment.

Can you actually transfer the booking after final payment? I thought, at least with RCI, that you had to transfer the booking before final payment? :)

A good TA knows that the best way to make a profit is to look out for the client and get the best price. That builds loyalty and repeat bookings. It's always smarter to sacrifice a little commission now for the promise of more the future. It's an investment in building a long-term relationship.

Why do I defend TA's? Many years ago I was a TA, and that was our philosophy. Word of mouth from satisfied customers is by far the best advertising, and if you're not really looking out for their best interest, then you're not looking out for yourself either.

Mostly I book via a TA, sometimes directly with the cruiseline. I shop for the best price. Even though I usually know exactly what I want, a TA clarified my ship choice in Oct. and thereby earned that booking. There are advantages to both, but either way, it's good to do your homework and compare rates. Fortunately, there are many online agencies that make that very easy. If you know an agent or find a reputable agency that has a better rate than RCI, go with the TA. If you're more comfortable calling RCI - do that.

The advantage of a TA is that they will remind you that final payment is coming up. The disadvantage is that you might have to work with a specific person and have to wait for them to return your calls (telephone tag). They might have knowledge or a point of view that you hadn't considered that makes a big difference and enhances your cruise, or you might know exactly what you want and nothing they say changes that.

The advantage of dealing with RCI is the hours they are open - longer than most TA's (but not all). If you want to add or change anything about your reservation, RCI will help you only if you booked through them.

Archived