U.S. Verizon Phones in Bermuda

rcclcruise

Hi,

I called Verizon Wireless today with the same question. I was told that our cell phones will work on the Majesty (it has a tower) and the roaming charges would be $2.49/min. On the island of Bermuda, the charges are $1.29/min. I would call the phone company and ask about your phone and your ship. I hope this helps.

CDMA phones. I'm getting new phones this week and the newest one LG 4200 says it is tri-mode. Well I thought that meant 3 band which would be better for foreign use. But then I read further and it says dual 1 band 800/1900 MHz. That's confusing!

So I asked my friend who goes to Ireland every year & buys a chip I think. ??? Here's what she said:

CDMA cannot be used in most foreign countries, I am not sure about Mexico. It isn't the bands, it is the type of network they are on (like difference between am & fm). GSM is the network usually used in foreign countries, though Japan is something else entirely, you can look it up on the internet. I think whoever sold it was misrepresenting to you. GSM requires to be on t-mobile or ATT, though verizon has one world phone that can be used outside US. I don't know about Alaska--but there are sites online that you can search to find out which kind of protocol (GSM, CDMA) is used everywhere in the world.

Her answer does not tell me a thing about Bermuda, though.

Does anyone who lives in Bermuda know what kind of protocal that is used?

It would be nice to get off the ship, wander around, then make a local call for a reservation etc. and have it go through. It would be very convenient since we'd not have any Bermudan coins, you see.

Thanks to all the great CC folks. In addition, I found a link on Verizon Wireless with all the information needed. It appears CDMA is what is used on Bermuda and Verizon users do not have to activate the I-Dial feature since Bermuda is

on the North American "calling group". Normal 10 digit dialing is all that is required.

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/Caribbean/Bermuda.html

Her answer does not tell me a thing about Bermuda, though.

Does anyone who lives in Bermuda know what kind of protocal that is used?

It would be nice to get off the ship, wander around, then make a local call for a reservation etc. and have it go through. It would be very convenient since we'd not have any Bermudan coins, you see.

I don't live in Bermuda but I have been cruising there a lot. I can verify that you can use a Verizon phone on Bermuda. There is a CDMA carrier there that you can roam on. You will pay roaming charges of $1.29 a minute on the island. I have done it.

Thanks to all the great CC folks. In addition, I found a link on Verizon Wireless with all the information needed. It appears CDMA is what is used on Bermuda and Verizon users do not have to activate the I-Dial feature since Bermuda is

on the North American "calling group". Normal 10 digit dialing is all that is required.

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/Caribbean/Bermuda.html

CC folks search, find and share good information. THANKS!!

I called Verizon Wireless today and was told that on the ship it would be $2 and change to use the cell phone and $.69 cents on the island itself. They also said to do *228 before I left to update the roaming capabilities.

Archived