Biting Monkeys at Gumbalimba Park

AtoZgirl

Do the monkeys really come out of the tree, land on you and take a bite? Or do they only do it if they are provoked? Obviously these little bugers are used to human interaction, from what it seems. Why would they just up and bite people? I would love to be around them but I don't want my family or I or anyone around me to get attacked/bitten by the little monsters hah.

I read a post on here a little while ago by someone saying their family members had been bitten at Gumbalimba. While none in our party was bitten, I can see how it can happen. Some of the monkeys are in cages but several are just hanging around (no pun intended :) ) and they do come up to you. There are guides there supervising and they advise you not to grab at them or attempt to pick them up. However, the monkeys do whatever they want to do and they do leap up on you, etc. We had an absolute ball playing with them and none seemed aggressive, but if they did become aggressive, it would be very easy for them to bite. I don't think that they would just jump on you and bite, but if you attempted to grab them, it could easily happen.

I have a link to my recent cruise pictures at the bottom of this thread. It includes lots of pictures with the monkeys at Gumbalimba. Just scan through the thumbnails until you see the pics, so you don't have to wade through a whole bunch of people that you don't know on vacation! :D

CruisnGram~ I hope you see this :)

I LOVED looking at your pics, DD is taking her first cruise this Oct and was thrilled when she saw the monkeys and the horseback riding. I was wondering if you knew whether or not their was a weight limit on the horseback riding? We wanted to do this at one of our stops and considered it in Freeport but their is a weight limit there and DH is over, he was so bummed when I told him. He is by no means overweight he is 6'2" and very fit but doesn't make the cut off I guess. Also did you do your trip in Roatan through the ship or privately?

Thanks so much for sharing your pics :)

Just answered part of my own ?, I just read your review and saw that you booked through the ship and privately :)

• 1 month later...

Monkey have teeth and are capable of biting. Have people been bitten at Gumbalimba Park, yes. Do the monkeys "come out of the trees to bite" you, no. Monkeys are very selfish, they move around freely, they get what they want. If not they fight for it. If they are provoked, held on to, refused a candy bar or coke that you should not have out (per the briefing), it is highly likely you will be bitten. They can also climb trees so they can hold on tight! The monkeys at Gumbalimba are mostly mischevious white-faced monkeys, so they are small. Bites are VERY infrequent but do happen, mostly as a result of panic by humans or from restricting the monkey. The bites don't hurt too bad but with kids (or easily scared people), their reaction makes it seem like they are very painful. If the monkeys does bite, it usually will not even break the skin.

We were just at Gumbalinda and had a great time. Our guide warned us that one of the monkeys had a baby that it was very protective of and that there was another monkey that had been leashed while people visited as it could be mean. With these warnings in our mind, we had no trouble with the monkeys, birds, and the little lizards that run around everywhere. It was overcast the day we were in Roatan and this was a good option instead of the beach. One word of advice however, do not eat the food there unless you want to drop mega bucks. Burger or fingers $10......

CruisnGram~ I hope you see this :)

I LOVED looking at your pics, DD is taking her first cruise this Oct and was thrilled when she saw the monkeys and the horseback riding. I was wondering if you knew whether or not their was a weight limit on the horseback riding? We wanted to do this at one of our stops and considered it in Freeport but their is a weight limit there and DH is over, he was so bummed when I told him. He is by no means overweight he is 6'2" and very fit but doesn't make the cut off I guess. Also did you do your trip in Roatan through the ship or privately?

Thanks so much for sharing your pics :)

Just answered part of my own ?, I just read your review and saw that you booked through the ship and privately :)

I'm sorry, somehow I missed this post. You can contact Phillip at www.keifitos.com Most of his horses are Pasa Fino's which are not big horses, but he had a few that were larger. And, if you saw my pics, you saw that my cousin who rode with us is a pretty big girl and they had no problems with her riding. So, I'm sure they could accomodate your DH.

Archived